Acoustat Answer Man is here

Nice work on those 1+1s!
But what's the reasoning behind putting the "wall wart" inside to box?
Seems that negates the noise isolation advantage of getting the AC as far from the signal as possible. Also, I don't understand the last picture. What is the advantage in soldering "bridges" over the looped wire?

I am not the one doing the mods i leave that to my friend Jocelyn the wall wart inside the box is a voltage regulator it is ajusted at 4.6 volts the soldering of the top and bottom heads makes these speakers much easier to drive so is the doubling of contact points like i have stated often before technicaly i know nothing i leave the mods to Jocelyn and up to now i'm a very happy man.

ALL I DO IS LISTEND AND I LIKE WHAT I HEAR.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Is that last mod pic of the edge of the panel just allowing the amp signal voltage on the stator wires to be in parallel instead of in series? So if there is a nick or discontinuity on the original series connected stator, the rest of the stator won't be dead?

Last edited:
Yes, that makes sense, seems like a "fiddly" job, but I may try it when I rebuild my 3s.
I'm still puzzled over why someone would bring 110V into the box, to then power the wall transformer. Acoustat, wisely I think, went to low voltage "wall warts" to energize their Spectra series, and it looks like this mod incorporates that, but doesn't take advantage of keeping the AC power supply out of the box. I guess it does look more "audiophile" to have a nice detachable 110 cord going to the box, but it seems like a sonic back step.

Yes but this man dose not do mods....he Lets someone do this work for himit ezer this way...your are right it may be better from a sound stand point....but this is a bias upgread for the 121 interface...

Yes tyu is right, I absolutely do not do mods myself, all the work is done by my friend Jocelyn, he is the man behind MODS & REBUILDS of Acoustat's here in Quebec, everything he does is tested first on HIS speakers, he does know what he's doing, as for me i have been with Acoustat's since 1984 BUT technicaly i know absolutely NOTHING, all my experience is with LISTENING only, i leave the rest to DIYers with experience and Jocelyn happen's to be one of those very competent guy's, i consider myself very lucky to have such a friend.

Last edited:
Sorry, i didn't mean to press, I just thought you might know. I totally get handing it over to someone who has expertise... I'm a mechanical engineer, and have little in the way of electronics skills myself.
I'm just gathering information to determine what I want to do with some of the electrostatic speakers (most in some disrepair) that I have collected in my basement over the last 30+years. A pair of Acoustat 3s with a damaged 8" panel is one in the "collection".

Joined 2005
Paid Member
What is wrong with the 8" panel on the Model 3?

The last pair of Model 3's I bought had issues, but it turned out to be a stator wire that got disconnected from the internal PCB clamp. Totally simple fix, but the previous owner had never opened the interface...

What is wrong with the 8" panel on the Model 3?

The last pair of Model 3's I bought had issues, but it turned out to be a stator wire that got disconnected from the internal PCB clamp. Totally simple fix, but the previous owner had never opened the interface...

Unfortunately I think the speaker either fell over onto something, or something was knocked into it, but either way, the top third of the 8" panel was punched completely out! Plastic grill & Mylar are destroyed. Amazingly, they still play... even the damaged panel works a little - buzzes, but works. I bought them this way (yes, they were pretty cheap), but at the time I didn't know how much harder 8" panels are to find.

I'm debating making a pair of 1+1s out of them, or maybe even trying a pair of spare Soundlab Dynastat/A2x panels I have, in place of the 8" Acoustat pieces.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I have a collection. My main (electrostatic)speakers are Quad ESL-63s on Arcici stands (I have several other cone speakers in other systems). Sitting in my basement in addition to the Model 3s,and a pair of Spectra 11s, I have a spare set of 63s (one bass panel has a tear), Crown ES224s (fully working, but I'm planning on restoring the cabs & power supplys), 2pr KLH9s (1pr good, 1pr for spares), Martin Logan CLS (1 panel stopped working, haven't yet diagnosed it), Soundlab Dynastats (+ pr of spare panels), and a box of misc. RTR & Janzen panels (10-12 maybe - all work, I think).
So you can see, I have quite a bit to work with, but not sure what I want to do with them. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately I think the speaker either fell over onto something, or something was knocked into it, but either way, the top third of the 8" panel was punched completely out! Plastic grill & Mylar are destroyed. Amazingly, they still play... even the damaged panel works a little - buzzes, but works. I bought them this way (yes, they were pretty cheap), but at the time I didn't know how much harder 8" panels are to find.

I'm debating making a pair of 1+1s out of them, or maybe even trying a pair of spare Soundlab Dynastat/A2x panels I have, in place of the 8" Acoustat pieces.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I have a collection. My main (electrostatic)speakers are Quad ESL-63s on Arcici stands (I have several other cone speakers in other systems). Sitting in my basement in addition to the Model 3s,and a pair of Spectra 11s, I have a spare set of 63s (one bass panel has a tear), Crown ES224s (fully working, but I'm planning on restoring the cabs & power supplys), 2pr KLH9s (1pr good, 1pr for spares), Martin Logan CLS (1 panel stopped working, haven't yet diagnosed it), Soundlab Dynastats (+ pr of spare panels), and a box of misc. RTR & Janzen panels (10-12 maybe - all work, I think).
So you can see, I have quite a bit to work with, but not sure what I want to do with them. Any suggestions?

MY suggestion if but only if you don't like your music to loud, i would choose Acoustat 1+1s, first it is a good speaker when stock, but once modified it become's a very good speaker, second they are almost indestructable and will last a very long time, i'm not biased one bit.:):):)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Wow. I just sold off my last pair of 8" panels.

I too have a few ESLs, a pair of Model 3's (Modded), a pair of Model 1 (Stock) and a pair of CLS I and CLS II Panels. I also have Tympani IVa and Tympani ID that I need to rewire (not ESL, but hey)...

The CLS I were torn apart and I replaced the mylar and spars...the CLS II has been opened, and mylar cleaned off (what filth).

My currrent setup is CLS I for 300hz and up (driven by a Acoustat MK-121A Interface), and the Model 3 300hz and below. I use a DCX2496 Active xover. Fantastic. I want to mod the model 3 interface to remove the HF transformer, and use just the single LF transformer, and drive all three panels from it 300hz and lower. Should be interesting.

The CLS's I like best for upper range. And to me the sweet spot IS much wider than the Acoustats.

Are you looking to sell your CLS Frames? If so, let me know.

Last edited:
Congradulation Mike

Congradulation Mike for your purchase of the Acoustat's Spectra 22s that i sold you i hope that you will be happy i think that you made a very good decision these speakers are over 20 years old i know them very well they use to be in the family i am the one that bought the marble bases for them YES pink to match a black carpet in those days.

PS: Welcome to the Acoustat proud owners club.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: