Acoustat Answer Man is here

Hi Andy
Here is my attempt at a Monitor 4/ Spectra 44. There are 4 x 9" panels at a 6 degree angle. 2 panels are 3 wire and 2 panels are 5 wire .I am going to drive them with a MK121C interface initally. I also have a Spectra MK2123 interface .My question is can I drive the 4 panels with the Spectra 33 tap ,or will there be too much bass?
Thanks
Andrew

Using the '33' (orange) tap to drive 4 panels will yield more bass than intended, but too much? That will be a matter of taste. It will not be a huge difference.

Keep in mind that the Spectra system (Symmetric Pair Electrically Curved TRAnsducer) is designed to operate with all panels in the same plane, and not with an angle between panels as in earlier models. Not sure what the final result might be, but it will not be the same as a Spectra unless you arrange the panels all in one plane. Otherwise, you may get some weird imaging and/or anomolies in horizontal dispersion.

Ok Andrew did not notice that particular post but one thing i can tell you is that i had a friend like you that could not fit his Acoustat's 2+2s in his basement for the same reason ( height ) he did what you did 4 panels side by side they realy sounded good BUT did not sound like normal 2+2s BUT better than any boxed speaker at the same price :)

PS: They do look very nice ENJOY

Hi Andre
Sorry I missed you and Jocelyn at TAVES but I did say hello from the elevator:D

Interesting discussion, particularly around the double pair of Spectra 11s. I have a pair of Model 3s with a damaged 8" (center) driver. I also have a pair of Spectra 11s, and I've been thinking about using the Spectra 11 panels in the middle of the 3s. I was thinking of using the woofer output of the Spectra's supply to feed the input of the supply for the 3s.Basically I'm talking about using 2/3s of the 3s as replacement for the cone woofers on the Spectra 11s. The goal is, a "poor man's semi-Spectra 33". Does anyone here see a problem with this?

Interesting discussion, particularly around the double pair of Spectra 11s. I have a pair of Model 3s with a damaged 8" (center) driver. I also have a pair of Spectra 11s, and I've been thinking about using the Spectra 11 panels in the middle of the 3s. I was thinking of using the woofer output of the Spectra's supply to feed the input of the supply for the 3s.Basically I'm talking about using 2/3s of the 3s as replacement for the cone woofers on the Spectra 11s. The goal is, a "poor man's semi-Spectra 33". Does anyone here see a problem with this?

There is a single 8" panel on ebay:

Acoustat 8" Panel Works Good! | eBay

I'll admit your proposal left my head spinning a bit! Is there no end to the permutations of old Acoustats? Ha-ha.

Not entirely sure what you mean about the Spectra 'woofer output'. If you mean the output of the lowpass crossover (which normally feeds the Spectra woofer) you will almost certainly need to modify the crossover, since it will be driving a very different load (the Model 3's interface). If I have misunderstood your proposal, please correct me.

Hi Frommerstop, first you need an 8 inch panel the Spectra panel is 9 inch that's one thing there are other issues you are in for lot's of work send me your e-mail and i will put you in contact with someone that can help you. André

mracoustat@videotro.ca

I'll admit your proposal left my head spinning a bit! Is there no end to the permutations of old Acoustats? Ha-ha.

Not entirely sure what you mean about the Spectra 'woofer output'. If you mean the output of the lowpass crossover (which normally feeds the Spectra woofer) you will almost certainly need to modify the crossover, since it will be driving a very different load (the Model 3's interface). If I have misunderstood your proposal, please correct me.

Yes, that's pretty much it. I'm suggesting using the lowpass out to feed the Model 3s controller. I didn't think it would require a modification of the Spectra's crossover though, because it's already designed to drive a dynamic load - presumably 4-8 ohm, that the cone woofer would need. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured it was most likely a pretty straight signal (below 350hz or so) from the source amplifier to that woofer, so how would it be different than just running the signal straight from the amp to the 3s? I suppose, I could just bi-amp them with an outboard active crossover to spit the 11s from the 3s, but it seems, in my limited crossover experience, like it would work using the passive Acoustat components.

Hi Frommerstop, first you need an 8 inch panel the Spectra panel is 9 inch that's one thing there are other issues you are in for lot's of work send me your e-mail and i will put you in contact with someone that can help you. André

mracoustat@videotro.ca

Thanks for the heads up, but I had already considered that. I'm just playing around with some extra speakers here, and making a more solid frame is one of the things I was expecting. I'm actually thinking I may make the frames out of wood, but sized to fit a pair of Arcici ESL-63 stands. Making them an inch wider than stock won't be an issue.

Thanks!
I saw that a few days ago, and I've been watching it. One of the reasons for posting this question now, was to see if my "Frankenspeakers" idea would work... if the consensus is it's nuts, then I'll probably try & win that panel, and just make the 3s whole again.

If you can pick up that 8" panel, you'll have both options open to you...good luck!

Yes, that's pretty much it. I'm suggesting using the lowpass out to feed the Model 3s controller. I didn't think it would require a modification of the Spectra's crossover though, because it's already designed to drive a dynamic load - presumably 4-8 ohm, that the cone woofer would need. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured it was most likely a pretty straight signal (below 350hz or so) from the source amplifier to that woofer, so how would it be different than just running the signal straight from the amp to the 3s? I suppose, I could just bi-amp them with an outboard active crossover to spit the 11s from the 3s, but it seems, in my limited crossover experience, like it would work using the passive Acoustat components.

A passive crossover does not exist by itself, and its operation is designed around the load it is to drive. So by changing the load from a woofer (with its own impedance and frequency response curves) to a transformer interface (with different impedance and frequency characteristics) the operation of the crossover will almost certainly change (of course, never for the better!) So be prepared for lots of trial-n-error listening and crossover value adjustment.

I have always been amazed at the pre-made commercial crossovers available that are designed for "4-ohm" or "8-ohm" speakers. Anyone who has ever dabbled in passive crossover design will know that crossovers always need to be tailored to the specific drivers in the system, so how anyone can make a pre-made crossover is beyond me. Those products are certainly not for the type of serious folks who hang around these forums. Ok, I'll get off my soap box now, as I am in danger of getting off-topic.

After a bit of experimentation with active crossovers and double panels, I decided to take the easy way out and upgrade my Spectra 11 interfaces with Mundorf MKP caps. Holy crap! :eek: I expected the sound to improve a bit, but this is like listening to a different speaker altogether. The highs are much more extended and have a LOT more detail. I hear new things in all my music, this will be an interesting journey to say the least. These speakers just continue to amaze me :)

I attach some before and after pictures of the upgrade. As you can see the interface was already modified (by some other guy), new speaker and power input connections was installed directly on the interface and the low pass filter was removed and placed in the woofer box (I can't understand why Acoustat didn't chose this solution in the first place, it's much cleaner and better sounding).

Attachments

• 20121013_105410.jpg
    20121013_105410.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 20121013_105625.jpg
    20121013_105625.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 338
  • 20121013_111512.jpg
    20121013_111512.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
...(I can't understand why Acoustat didn't chose this solution in the first place, it's much cleaner and better sounding).

That upgrade is pretty popular and well worth the trouble and expense. As to why it was not done by the factory...the answer is the almightly dollar. The Spectra 11 was originally targeted to sell for under $1000, and getting the materials cost to that point didn't allow some of the nicer frills. Even the Spectra 1100, which was an upgraded version of the Spectra 11, did not use fim capacitors. Besides, Acoustat needed to leave something for the DIY'ers to do!

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by phazer99
...(I can't understand why Acoustat didn't chose this solution in the first place, it's much cleaner and better sounding).

Easy just like Andy said the mighty dollar my Acoustat's cost me $600.00 before mods i am now up to $3,000.00 and i'm very happy because all the work was done by my best FRIEND at minimal cost two weeks ago i attended the T.A.V.E.S. 2012 show in Toronto and one of the speakers that i fell in love with was the Audio Exklusiv P3.1 electrostatic and even at $16,000.00 i still prefer my modified 1+1s here are pictures of my modified interface & panel just to give you an idea of the work involved all this in a 2x3 steel frame.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I did this mod to my panels years back.....just be eze...you can divied any of the panels if you wont..eze...Or
Short all wires... top an bottem...front an back
This panel setup give 2db more out put over the one end feed i have found...thanks for the pic i have lost my pic....goodluck

Attachments

• PanneauAcoustatavecttesrelies[1].jpg
    PanneauAcoustatavecttesrelies[1].jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 159
Nice work on those 1+1s!
But what's the reasoning behind putting the "wall wart" inside to box?
Seems that negates the noise isolation advantage of getting the AC as far from the signal as possible. Also, I don't understand the last picture. What is the advantage in soldering "bridges" over the looped wire?