Acoustat Answer Man is here

Andy
Do you know the type/brand of high voltage resistors used in the Spectra 44 for the panel equalization?
Thanks
Andrew

Manufacturers of high-voltage resistors seem to come and go, and during the life of the Spectra series, several different brands were used for the sector resistors. In fact, way too much of my time was spent qualifying new resistor vendors! The resistors varied in appearance, but were all pretty much the same specification. Vishay-Dale makes the HVX-2 series, which is rated at 5 watts, 15-kV working voltage, and has a flame-proof coating. The voltage rating is higher than necessary, but that comes with the 5-watt rating.

There are probably a handful of manufacturers making nearly identical parts. More than likely a special-order will be required, as resistors of this type are rarely stocked, but you might get lucky. Also take a look at distributors Allied Electronics and Newark Electronics.

Woofer replacement

I have owned a pair of Spectra 11's since 1990. They are still in exquisite condition. I have never tweeked or messed with them. I also run them with an M&K subwoofer. Is there a mod or replacement to the Spectras original woofer that I can do to get a deeper and tighter bass? Just wanting to enjoy them without the addition of the sub. You know, never can leave well enough alone.

Hello - I have a pair of Model 3's 1984 (all black). I have loved these for all these years. I sold them and got these on SA from the store I worked at. DS Audio in Reading PA. They are now next to the 60 inch and look great in the theater room. I always wanted a pair of Model 8's though.

I now have a ticking from one side. HV cap discharge I would imagine. Do you know anyone who rebuilds the HV board? I want to keep them but the wife is not into the tick tick tick.

Hello all,

Great discussion and information in this thread.

Can someone explain or direct me in the right direction on how to safely discharge, disconnect and handle the interfaces? Nothing too technical, I'm just sending these off to be refurbished.

Thanks in advance,

Mat

unplug... play music until nil sound... remove interface cover... now you have a couple of choices.

The goal is to short the stator wires to the center wire/bias supply wire...

The power supply is already discharged at this point for all intents and purposes, but we can make sure later.

you can use an insulated handle needle nose pliers to undo the nuts holding the stator wires, and/or take the center pin that holds the HV bias wires, now you want to touch that wire to the stator wires (there are two), or alternately take each stator wire and touch it to the center wire, and/or to each other...

Keep ur OTHER HAND off the box, and you body off the box when you do this. Do NOT do this if you have a heart condition or use a pacemaker (fwiw)

it will make a noise in the speaker, and maybe a spark. Do it until there is nothing... or keep them together.

You can then take a wire or the open jaws of the pliers and short the ctr pin to the stator terminals, each side...

all discharged now.

Worst case is like a damn strong static electric spark... will make a jump back a little, but not more than that. That's why you keep ur body and hands off the case - and off GROUND too! :D

_-_-bear

Btw, what the heck needs to be "refurbished"??

Hello - I have a pair of Model 3's 1984 (all black). I have loved these for all these years. I sold them and got these on SA from the store I worked at. DS Audio in Reading PA. They are now next to the 60 inch and look great in the theater room. I always wanted a pair of Model 8's though.

I now have a ticking from one side. HV cap discharge I would imagine. Do you know anyone who rebuilds the HV board? I want to keep them but the wife is not into the tick tick tick.

Ticking is likely a discharge in the cells, not the HV supply.

This can come from dirt, dust, excess humidity, too little humidity, AND importantly the wires at the ends (typically) of the cells coming loose from the glue bond and becoming too close to the cells.

Try this - you have to remove the socks from the top... take the top plate off, take out the 4 billion staples (why they used so many??), slide the sock down... speaker can be on for all this , if you like...

In a PITCH DARK ROOM, sit there and listen and look for the discharge!

Quiet room helps too... late night usually best...

You may have to move your vantage point to find it...

In the case of a loose stator wire, the cures have been posted before...

If it is dirt, the cells should first be vacuumed, preferably with a soft hair vacuum brush (not these hard synthetic modern ones) (make sure IT is clean by washing it and making sure it is dry). If that fails, then they can be washed, but you have to make sure that if you dip them, not to try to lift them in the horizontal position and get water load on the mylar...

those instructions too were discussed some time back...

One danger is that persistent arcs in the same spot across something like plastic will create a carbon track that is difficult to remove and defeat... but usually not impossible.

_-_-bear

Thanks Bear
That does sound more like it. The ticking is from one spot at the bottom of the center panel.

To anyone who had something to do with the making of Acoustats over the years I want to send out a big "LOVE YA" men and ladies.

My first exposure was as a customer of DS Audio in Reading. I would go in and listen to album after album on model 2 and 4's. The real old tube amped ones that leaned back.
Everyone else wanted to hear and Mag Tymp 4's with the sub panels on Audio Research electronics. But I was hooked. I had to walk out that day with powered Advents due to budget. Still was a great day.

Next thing I knew I was working at the place. I heard many more and of the newer 1980's + models and they kept getting better and better. We had some great listening rooms at DSA. In a room with Mag MG3's and Acoustat Model 3's I broke down and bought a pair. My sales partner bought the MG3's. They were nice but even that ribbon didn't have the spark of detail on axis of the 3's. The sub models started coming out but I didn't like them as much. And I do very large scale sound reinforcement systems and I love base from cones. I didn't like the cone with them. They didn't need it for one and the low mids were not the same.

And the Acoustat TNT200 was one of the best amps I have ever heard on almost any speaker. WOW what a amp. My budget would keep me from getting one then Hafler/Rockford/China and gone. I used this amp against everything we had. Krell, Threshold monos, Tandburg mono's, Sony Esprit, A.R., Electrocompaniet, C.J., and many many more. No contest. Sorry to all those "golden hears" but I lived at this place and heard these day in and day out, even at home on my 3's. I am missing those days.

There weren't many of the 66 or 6600's produced, and most people who have them don't want to part with them (and I can hardly blame them!). But if you were to find a pair in good condition, and they were actually for sale, I wouldn't expect the price to be any less than $2000/pr, possibly much more. Being such a large speaker, it's often a matter of finding the right seller & buyer in the right place, since shipping is usually out of the question.

I was lucky in finding my Spectra 4400's, which I bought several years after I left Rockford. I bought them from another ex-Rockford employee, who unfortunately had them stored unprotected, so there was some cosmetic re-hab work to do before they were ready for the living room. That meant that I was able to get them for a very nice price (don't ask), but with my familiarity with the product, I was able to get them looking almost new. And NO, they are NOT for sale!

Hi guy's i know someone that paid 5k for a pair of 6600s and very happy he did of course i'm not biased one bit.:D

Steve: the size of the ESL panel has no impact on its upper frequency response. Six inches square or one inch square will extend to the same frequency if they have the same diaphragm material. The narrow line source strip will provide wide dispersion of high frequencies. As SY mentioned there will be interaction between the panel sections in the horizontal plane. I don't imagine this will be any worse than with the 5 or 6 degree angle between vertical panels in a 2+2 Acoustat for example. But I think that when you compare a 2+2 Acoustat to a 0ne plus 0ne Acoustat the difference in stage and image is likely as a result of the interaction of the two vertical panels in the 2+2. The 0ne plus 0ne provides better stage and image at the cost of overall output and bass level. Best regards Moray James.

Hi Moray i come on this site because i'm an Acoustat fanboy ( 66 years young ) i know NOTHING about DIY i leave this for my friend Jocelyn in 28 years i have owned Spectra 22s - 33s - 2+2s - and three pairs of 1+1s loved them all BUT the 1+1s are my favorites BUT you are so right if you like your music loud then the 2+2s are a better choice BUT again if you have the room i have a couple of friends with 6s - 66s - and highly modified 6600s for the money NOTHING come's close i want to thank you for helping Acoustat lovers preserve their speakers. André

The picture shows the inside of my Acoustat Red Medallion C interface with the new Solen 47uF capacitor in front. It looks like the new capacitor (bottom) will fit either in front of the circuit board on right side, or above big transformer in back. There's more space in back, but nothing convenient to support the capacitor with and a long lead would be required, and there's high voltage back there. I'm leaning toward front installation.

In front, the capacitor could rise straight from where the fuseholder is, or lie flat above the fuse and two speaker terminals. Either way space is very tight, and one concern is that the capacitor would be very close to the 50K power resistor. If the resistor gets hot it could damage the capacitor, and there is high voltage on that resistor too. I might be able to give it "just enough" space, it looks like I could give it about 5mm space. Opportunities for support are also limited, but it would be somewhat self-supporting from it's own lead, so doesn't need that much additional support. If it falls "down" in operation it simply hits the wood base of the speaker. where the interace is installed.

I could possibly bend the power resistor out of the way, bit by bit using one or two sets of longnose pliers. The danger is that I could break it off it's solder pads, or, even worse, crack the old circuit board.

Another thought crosses my mind too. I could connect the capacitor BEFORE the fuse, so the capacitor effectively bypasses the fuse for the high frequencies. The speaker would still be protected from DC and low frequencies, which is likely where any problem would be. The fuse doesn't really do a great job of protection anyway from sustained loud music, sustained loud music can burn the transformer without melting the fuse. The fuse mainly protects against amplifier failure, and also provides nuisance warnings that you are playing too loud.

I could also have the capacitor outside, either as an independent entity (with new input terminal) allowing easy changes, but clumsy and space consuming, or strapped to the case with twist tie (requires new holes in case, not easy) or glued (ugly).

Here is a solution, change the interface box for a bigger one.

Interface04.jpg

Interface03.jpg

I think that remains to be seen Andre!LOL
Rub a finger across the top of one of your doors. Though I wouldn't presume you do less dusting than me. I qualify as ultra lazy in that department. I see you have a newer frame that does not have finished wood showing on the side rails but has a sock covering the whole "monolith". Am I seeing that correct in the pics?

Here are a few pictures of the finished product and yes I LOVED THEM.:D:D

Acoustat11Modifi02.jpg

Salon02.jpg

Interface01.jpg

So it's a 1+1 Spectra?

What I see inside the interface enclosure is the audio electronics for a standard MK-121 interface, mated with the ultrasonic power supply from the Spectra series. This does not make it a 1+1 Spectra. That would require segmented panel-drive, which the MK-121 does not support.

By the way, a very nice job of custom packaging!

I have a question for Acoustatanswerman (or anybody). Didn't Acoustat use, at some point in history, aluminized mylar for membranes?

I have picture in my head from an old danish hifi magazine showing a Acoustat panel with aluminized mylar....

Acoustat never used aluminized mylar. All products, from the beginning to the end, used a heat-shrinkable Mylar diaphragm with a custom-formulated, carbon black-based coating that was applied by brushing it on. In the late 80's Acoustat did introduce an improved, higher-resistivity version of that coating, but to the naked eye it looked the same - flat black.

Aluminized Mylar is generally considered too conductive to be of any use in an ESL design (which is not to say that some brands may have used an aluminum-bearing compound in their coating). Constant-Charge operation requires a high-resistance coating.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
While Solen may be a step up from the original caps Acoustat used I replaced the Solens with MIT PPFXS and RTX bypasses in both my Acoustats, Martin Logan Requests, and CLX - each time with noticeable improvement in detail, resolution, and dynamics. Yes very expensive and big, but really worth it if you want to hear what your electrostatics can do. The Dueland resistors he used are the best, their capacitors are very good too, but cost more than a car to do 4 caps in each of the CLX's

Last edited: