Acoustat Answer Man is here

Hi my name is Andre MrAcoustat Sevigny i have been with Acoustat's since the early 80s i have owned 2+2s - Spectra 2200s - Spectra 3300s - and three pairs of my favorites 1+1s the one's i own now where modified by Jocelyn Jeanson from Quebec Canada he is very well known in the Acoustat circles they can be seen on Flickr MrAcoustat Photostream they are all metal frame with modifications to the panels and interfaces they weigh 200 pounds each the only thing left to change is the 4 resistors i am waiting for my MS322 50K 22W 1% Caddocks resistors then it should be over ( for now ) but with Jocelyn you NEVER know he's our Canadian ( Roy Esposito ) when he tells me to jump i ask him HOW HIGH.

I am familiar with Mr. Jeanson's work - he and I have had quite a few emails back-n-forth. He has sent me photos of his speakers, both in the process of building and the finished project. Very nice work! Probably the nicest looking 'Acoustats' I've ever seen!

AcoustatAnswerman,
Were any wider panels other than 8" or 9" ever explored?

I am contemplating a 11.5" diagphram width by 47" long panel possibly segmented in 3 or 5 sections. jer

Then it's goodbye to the double stacked models for the ( normal ) 8 footh ceiling and for me i would'nt want to lose those panels up there no sir, i love all full range Acoustat's but all double stacks are my favorites.

I think that remains to be seen Andre!LOL
Rub a finger across the top of one of your doors. Though I wouldn't presume you do less dusting than me. I qualify as ultra lazy in that department. I see you have a newer frame that does not have finished wood showing on the side rails but has a sock covering the whole "monolith". Am I seeing that correct in the pics?

I think that remains to be seen Andre!LOL
Rub a finger across the top of one of your doors. Though I wouldn't presume you do less dusting than me. I qualify as ultra lazy in that department. I see you have a newer frame that does not have finished wood showing on the side rails but has a sock covering the whole "monolith". Am I seeing that correct in the pics?

Yes you're right it's a 2x3 steel frame covered with wood then a black sock and metal plate on top screwed in wood and metal base covered with wood

Acoustat 1+1 under construction | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Acoustat 1+1 under construction | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/5506851775/

Last edited:
All is understood.

The reason I ask is that my roll of .25mil mylar is only 12.5" wide.
Since I don't have a whole lot of it I wish to not waste any of it by building narrower panels as I already have done that.

Subs are not going to be any kind of issue at all as I have plenty.
I will try both dipole and an electronicly assisted ported cabinet using my 8" subs.

Here is my current stack, behind it is another two 10" cabinet facing the corner.
There is a stack on each side of the room.
The top boxs are the only speakers handling the high end and the imaging is quite smeared as excepcted.

But it is extremely loud when cranked up!

The ESL's I have made are not currently hooked up and will only be used as nearfield monitors on my desk and in front of me at the mixer. jer

Attachments

• CURRENT  STACK.jpg
    CURRENT STACK.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 642
  • 8 inch  RADIOSHACK SUBWOOFERS.jpg
    8 inch RADIOSHACK SUBWOOFERS.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 635
AcoustatAnswerman,

I am contemplating a 11.5" diagphram width by 47" long panel possibly segmented in 3 or 5 sections. jer

The width of the Acoustat panel was largely determined by the width of raw material that was used. One sheet of louver material (manufactured as a flourescent light diffuser) yielded two panel halves. Making the panel much wider than 9" would have yielded only one half-panel per sheet. Not a big consideration for DIYers who are making only a few panels, but for large-scale manufacturing, efficient utilization of material is a key factor.

I'm sure there is some practical limitation on how wide a panel can be, given the limits of diaphragm tension, etc. Maybe someone else can comment on their experiences in that regard?

AcoustatAnswerman,

I was thinking that if I ever get around to building new panels that I'd try going 47" high because that's the length they come in, requiring less cutting. I have vaulted ceilings so I'm not limited by 8' height. Not sure how performance would be affected by this, though.

Very good, thank you for the info.

The material I use is common and comes in 2' by 4' piece's.

However when I devleoped my construction technique back in 2003 I was able to get the same material in 4' by '8 sheets aswell special ordered from a local plastic shop.

The only problem I have been trying to solve with a wider panel is a slight bowing and unperfect flatness which of course can be remieded with a frame and proper bracing.

I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with diagphram stablity and/or low frequence response.
Again ,thanks. jer

P.S. Yes 47" was chosen because of the reserve 1/2" perimeter to mount the diagprham frame.

If a suitable frame is built then one could make the diagphram high as they wish. jer