Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Acoustat Answer Man is here
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2014, 01:49 AM   #981
Thinker1920 is offline Thinker1920  United States
diyAudio Member

tyu you're talking about the air mod right? if it's that good, that you don't need the ribbons I'll have to look into that. my second thought would be improving the imaging, would getting new frames and moving to a 1+1 or a 2 setup improve that (by taking the panels out of mine and putting them into a frame like a 1+1 or a 2)? As they are they seem pretty beamy
Old 9th July 2014, 02:06 AM   #982
EStat is offline EStat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker1920 View Post
tyu you're talking about the air mod right? if it's that good, that you don't need the ribbons I'll have to look into that. my second thought would be improving the imaging, would getting new frames and moving to a 1+1 or a 2 setup improve that (by taking the panels out of mine and putting them into a frame like a 1+1 or a 2)? As they are they seem pretty beamy
I owned 2+2s from their very inception in 1982 for over twenty years. Updated to OFC wired panels. Blue Medallions. Red Medallions. Replaced the horribly oxidized Monster cable. Bypassed the fuses. Replaced the burlap socks with spandex. They remained a good sounding, but still head-in-a-vise speaker. Even after using laser pointers and string-to-head for precise placement.

The 1+1s are eminently better in that regard to these ears. Especially with Roy Esposito's enhancements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg system200306.jpg (57.1 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by EStat; 9th July 2014 at 02:19 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 9th July 2014, 02:16 AM   #983
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
Wow....for some time i have been talking about droping the 500mg at the end of the Bias panel feed to 5-10 mg.....i have 3mg in now an the topend is the best i have ever had out of Any Acoustat mod yet......
looks like the so called Air mod has (No)meg ohms Res...At all....??
I think you must have misunderstood the description of the Air mod.
The Bias Resistor was not removed.
It was replaced with what looks like an Ohmite Thick Film Planar HV resistor.
I can't tell you what the resistance is, but it isn't zero.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Air_Mod_Rbias.gif (215.0 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by bolserst; 9th July 2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 9th July 2014, 02:34 AM   #984
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Well Thinker 1920...
i got in the Acoustats in the 80s.....i was in the Audio Biz then...Jim was making Acoustat here in Fl...... spoke to him minny times.....He told me he had just the panels hanging in his shop.....just the panels....
An thay sounded great
I got The Xs with the servo tube amps............Well did not take long for me to see the 1+1 panel setup sound better than any other Acoustat....well to me....
looks like most say the same thing.....but did not have the mids of the 2+2s M3 M4s......
But took a long time to get it all worket out........An what it was .....No ESL i have ever owend that the panels only 2-3" off the floor well not work for my ear.....an the 1+1 an the 2+2s top of the botten panels are right at ear level......this part of the panels has the lest output..an lest movement......the panels middel sounds best an the most movement....
An the panels have setup to be Flat.....That what the 1+1s got going for it....Flat.....Like the Pic...Killer sound.....

Well why not....My Quad 57s were flat.....my Apogee are ....My Magnepanes
Most of what i like in a panel speaker.....are Flat...Hehe

Long live Acoustats......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ksl100 014.jpg (894.9 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by tyu; 9th July 2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 9th July 2014, 02:38 AM   #985
diyAudio Member

The Bias Resistor was not removed.
It was replaced with what looks like an Ohmite Thick Film Planar HV resistor.
I can't tell you what the resistance is, but it isn't zero.

Thanks for the info....Look like a blue wire to me in the pic....
That ok to....i have found the better res. will give better sound on it own. But bet it not 500mg???....My be some one well tell us.......Hehe

Air Mod is the bypassing of the C Mods top 3ohms.....with what looks like a small gold dail res....
Attached Images
File Type: gif Acoustat_MK-121C_Interface[1].gif (69.0 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by tyu; 9th July 2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 9th July 2014, 03:08 AM   #986
diyAudio Member

Well i just did the Air mod setup...an the topend gos up.... add the 3ohms back in ...less output at the top...............so so....
Old 9th July 2014, 03:27 AM   #987
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

When tyu says Mg, he means Mega Ohms resistance. He is referring to the acoustat 500 Mega Ohm bias resistor, and/or the 50K Ohm bass transformer series resistor to the stators. Soundlabs does not have that series resistor to the stators, ...I shorted mine (both of them)...don't know if it really makes it better sounding yet - (need a little more critical listening), but they are there to provide an electronic "delay" of sort - like the quad ESL 63 delay... I cannot tell if the 2+2 I have are now more "beamy" with these bass tranny series resistors shorted, but I have noticed that they now sound best when I listen seated further away from the speakers than before (with the resistors). This may be a problem for me as my listening room is not long enough to make this permanent...I may remove the jumpers soon...

Last edited by john65b; 9th July 2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old 9th July 2014, 03:54 AM   #988
diyAudio Member

John.....i put my 50k back in when i dropet the 500mg bias res to 10-3meg........this give a 3db or more output....
this way it sound like the 500mg is in..... an the 50k are out.. but better....hehe.....just saying all i hear.....you have to go are you wont know....right.....
I Void Warrantys too.............
Old 9th July 2014, 04:04 AM   #989
Thinker1920 is offline Thinker1920  United States
diyAudio Member

So what are everyone's thoughts on dropping the R5 500 M Ohm resistor down to 3 M Ohm's? Is it safe? will I damage anything? and if it is ok what's the best resistor to use? The thought of just changing two resistors to open up the top end is very appealing.
Old 9th July 2014, 05:41 AM   #990
MrAcoustat is offline MrAcoustat  Canada
diyAudio Member

More info on Acoustat's you can never get enough.

Audio Haven | Acoustat
http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Acoustat

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 9th July 2014 at 05:43 AM.

Acoustat Answer Man is hereHide this!Advertise here!