Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Acoustat Answer Man is here
Acoustat Answer Man is here
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2018, 01:22 PM   #1931
aiv1055 is offline aiv1055  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
That name does ring a bell, from when the plant was located in Tempe AZ. I think he is the one on the left, in the blue shirt. Note they are building a Spectra 66 or 6600.
Thanks Andy, round florescent stickers on top of the panels indicates 4-4-91 DM.
Maybe if that photo was taken around the same time he is assembling my 6600.
Old 12th March 2018, 07:48 PM   #1932
TJG55 is offline TJG55
diyAudio Member

Default 2+2 PROBLEM

Hope this is the right place. 2s have been fine after reworking couple of years ago til last week. (No major changes just replaced a panel). Have run Anthem Room Correction several times with excellent results and still have measurements. Re-ran ARC last week and discovered a new problem.....strong roll off from 200hz down.Prior measurements were fine down to about 70hz!! ?????? Any ideas????

Also had partner check MK 121(blue medallion) and after checking schematic saw that pin was in 2 panel plug instead of 4 panel. ???

These are my original 2 +2s from long ago when we were dealers.
Visited factory way back and was amazed at the efficiency of the operation (background, industrial engineering). Few years ago, Jack Shafton (originally with Acoustsat) was my Anthem/Paradigm regional SM.
AA Man, some help please!
TJG
Tom Gregory
Mr Toads Stereo/Video
Kingsport/Johnson City Tn
423 483 1364

Last edited by TJG55; 12th March 2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 13th March 2018, 12:19 AM   #1933
AcoustatAnswerMan is offline AcoustatAnswerMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiv1055 View Post
Thanks Andy, round florescent stickers on top of the panels indicates 4-4-91 DM.
Maybe if that photo was taken around the same time he is assembling my 6600.
Close, but probably not your speaker. Slides are dated March 91. The initials DM aren't triggering any memories. How cool it would have been if that was YOUR speaker.
Old 13th March 2018, 12:31 AM   #1934
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG55 View Post
Hope this is the right place. 2s have been fine after reworking couple of years ago til last week. (No major changes just replaced a panel). Have run Anthem Room Correction several times with excellent results and still have measurements. Re-ran ARC last week and discovered a new problem.....strong roll off from 200hz down.Prior measurements were fine down to about 70hz!! ?????? Any ideas????

Also had partner check MK 121(blue medallion) and after checking schematic saw that pin was in 2 panel plug instead of 4 panel. ???

These are my original 2 +2s from long ago when we were dealers.
Visited factory way back and was amazed at the efficiency of the operation (background, industrial engineering). Few years ago, Jack Shafton (originally with Acoustsat) was my Anthem/Paradigm regional SM.
AA Man, some help please!
TJG
Tom Gregory
Mr Toads Stereo/Video
Kingsport/Johnson City Tn
423 483 1364
I remember Mr. Toads. Try swapping the interface from one speaker to the other. Most likely, the problem will follow the interface, but this check will eliminate any problems with the panels. The low frequency tap should be on the yellow position for the 2+2 (four panels). If there's a bad contact there, it will definitely lower bass output. Then it's a matter of checking parts in the low frequency circuit: LF transformer, (2) 50K-ohm resistors on the high voltage board, the 1-ohm primary resistor on the transformer tap terminal strip, and associated wiring.
Old 13th March 2018, 04:05 AM   #1935
mbb3atl is offline mbb3atl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat tech

Hello Andy, glad to hear from you. I have resurrected my 2MH speakers after many years in storage. Had woofers replaced and the panels are working very well. Might need you help at some point. my email is mbb3@mindspring.com
Brooks
Old 13th March 2018, 03:10 PM   #1936
TJG55 is offline TJG55
diyAudio Member

Andy,
Thanks for remembering us. Thanks for the tips. Will try tomorrow. My partner Ron fondly remember our trip to the factory in the din dark past. He is a great technical person and your info will definitely help. Still have a picture of Ron, Jack and myself from way back titled "it's after 11, do you know where your kids are?"
At this point I can't swap interfaces since I cannot loosen screws on right speaker. Any ideas there?
Again thanks,
Tom
PS BTW, these 2+2s are my original ones from the glory days!
Old 15th March 2018, 07:12 PM   #1937
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG55 View Post
Andy,
....At this point I can't swap interfaces since I cannot loosen screws on right speaker. Any ideas there?
!

The screws may be rusted in place. First, make sure you are using anappropriately-sized screwdriver. Tryplacing the screwdriver in contact with the screw head, and then gently tap the other end of the screwdriver with asmall hammer. Often this is enough tobreak the bond, and the screw will then back out. A small drop of penetrating oil may help too,unless its the connection on the grille cloth, where youd want to avoidstaining the fabric.
Old 15th March 2018, 08:10 PM   #1938
mraudioguru is offline mraudioguru  United States
diyAudio Member

Mine were rusted on too. I found that if you have or can borrow a really long screwdriver that places the driver handle above the interface, you get a lot better grip and torque. You might find that the larger/longer the screwdriver, the blade tip might be too large for the screw head slot, (mine was), but I just took a file and filed off just a tad on each side of the blade tip and got it to fit just right and tight and the screws came loose no problem.
Old 15th March 2018, 10:37 PM   #1939
DeltaStar is offline DeltaStar  Canada
diyAudio Member

Be carefull, I've seen the heads twist off and leave the screw in place . If that happens, buy a ccw drill bit and drill in center and it will catch and spin them out. At least mine did.
Al
Old 16th March 2018, 02:49 AM   #1940
katana1100 is offline katana1100  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone tried a Carver ECS-U ?

This was made for their ribbon speakers but has some bass enhancement features and the holograph function is optimized for planar speakers. Someone nearby has one for sale. I have a carver c1 and usually keep the holography turned on for my 2+2s.

Acoustat Answer Man is hereHide this!Advertise here!