Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Acoustat Answer Man is here
Acoustat Answer Man is here
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2018, 05:59 PM   #1911
AcoustatAnswerMan is offline AcoustatAnswerMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnnett View Post
Hi Guys

-10M 3 watt. Unable to find this value with 5kV voltage rating. Am I right to assume that this resistor needs to be 5kV, or does it need to be higher, or could it be lower? I note the "same" location in the MK121 circuit is taken direct to ground. Would my 100M 5W actually serve the appropriate purpose in this location?

Grantn

I would stick with a 10-Mohm resistor here. Wattage is not critical as long as it's in the 3-5 watt range. You could use a higher wattage, but size may become a problem.

All of the 10-Mohm, 500-Mohm, 680-Kohm, and 75-kohm resistors here should be rated 5-kV minimum. Again, a higher voltage rating is okay but size might be an issue.

I wouldn't expect you to have too much trouble finding the big wirewound, 100-kohm, 50-watters. They're pretty generic. Not so much for the metal oxide types.

Time to hit the surplus websites!
Old 26th January 2018, 10:53 PM   #1912
gnnett is offline gnnett  Australia
diyAudio Member

Okay, thanks Atom666 for the source. Although it seems like they are connected to the supplier/manufacturer, they are not willing to take an order for the 75K resistors. Maybe it is just "surplus" rather than new production.

Other "surplus" searches reveal the gaping hole I referred to above between 50K and 10M, in a reasonable sized package, ignoring price.

So obtaining "to spec" components from this source for the HV resistors, replacing the 75K 5W with 100K 5W, paralleled with a 300K 2W and excluding the 100K 50W, comes to just under USD280.

Seems a bit pricey, but time is running out to get this project on the road. Any other cheaper sources, including the 100K 50W, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Grantn
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:41 AM   #1913
Daudio1 is offline Daudio1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnnett View Post
Any other cheaper sources
Not sure if this info is still current, but a company called "Sounds Like New" in Boynton Beach Fl. used to upgrade the Servo-Charge amps (before the transformer interfaces) It was run by Roy Esposita (sp.?). He used to be with Acoustat and helped design the servo-charge system, I think. They work with a lot of similar high voltage parts, so might be able to help.
The phone # was (561)736-0041

Another Acoustat name to check: Analogue Associates, Michael Savuto
acoustat@swbell.net

That's all I got for now. Good Luck,
Dave
Old 7th February 2018, 03:22 PM   #1914
mraudioguru is offline mraudioguru  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help with identifying and finding these...

Need your help guys. These are the little fabric protectors that go over the fabric into the screw holes on the side of my Acoustat 2+2 to hold the braces on. I'm sure they are for the grill cloth protection and also for looks.

I only have (4) of these. One speaker didn't have any at all and the other speaker had all (4).

I've tried Googling a bunch of different names to call these, buy couldn't find any.

Does anyone know what they are called and more importantly, where to get them?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acoustat Fabric Protectors.JPG (903.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 7th February 2018, 05:26 PM   #1915
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraudioguru View Post
Need your help guys. These are the little fabric protectors that go over the fabric into the screw holes on the side of my Acoustat 2+2 to hold the braces on. I'm sure they are for the grill cloth protection and also for looks.

I only have (4) of these. One speaker didn't have any at all and the other speaker had all (4).

I've tried Googling a bunch of different names to call these, buy couldn't find any.

Does anyone know what they are called and more importantly, where to get them?

Thanks!

That part's use on the 2+2 pre-dates my time with the company, so I'm not familiar with it. Is it plastic or metal? If it's metal, it almost looks like a heatsink for a TO-5 transistor. Hard to say since there's no scale to the photo, although I'm guessing the inner hole is designed for a 1/4" or 5/16" screw. You may also try searching for "finishing washers". You may find something suitable even if it doesn't match the original part.
Old 7th February 2018, 05:47 PM   #1916
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
That part's use on the 2+2 pre-dates my time with the company, so I'm not familiar with it. Is it plastic or metal? If it's metal, it almost looks like a heatsink for a TO-5 transistor. Hard to say since there's no scale to the photo, although I'm guessing the inner hole is designed for a 1/4" or 5/16" screw. You may also try searching for "finishing washers". You may find something suitable even if it doesn't match the original part.
Damn. I was hoping you knew. I knew that you came to Acoustat later, but was hoping you would still know. They are metal and pretty strong. One got bent and it was a struggle to straighten it.

I Googled your suggestion, but still not quite right. I will continue my search.

Thanks!
Old 7th February 2018, 05:59 PM   #1917
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Damn. I was hoping you knew. I knew that you came to Acoustat later, but was hoping you would still know. They are metal and pretty strong. One got bent and it was a struggle to straighten it.

I Googled your suggestion, but still not quite right. I will continue my search.

Thanks!
Andy, you sir are a genius. I think this is it?

Thermalloy/Aavid - 2226B - Heatsink. For TO-5, TO-39 components.

All the dimensions that are listed are the same as the one I have, but they don't list an OD for the smaller barrel. Kinda pricey for just using them as a fabric protector.
Old 8th February 2018, 03:04 PM   #1918
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Andy, you sir are a genius. I think this is it?

Thermalloy/Aavid - 2226B - Heatsink. For TO-5, TO-39 components.

All the dimensions that are listed are the same as the one I have, but they don't list an OD for the smaller barrel. Kinda pricey for just using them as a fabric protector.
I'm 99.19% sure that these are indeed what I am looking for. I found (4) on E-Bay for $6.00 shipped, so I bought them. Once they are here, I will see for sure. I already used the other (4) on one speaker and they are just the ticket. They work really well.

Makes me chuckle to think that Jim (Strickland) re-purposed these for this situation. Sounds just like him. I was an Acoustat dealer from almost the beginning to almost the end. I became very good friends with Jim and Dave, (Hafler). I opened my first high-end store when I was just 22. Without the help and guidance of those two, I wouldn't have made it.
Old 9th February 2018, 02:04 AM   #1919
oldskoolaudio is offline oldskoolaudio  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and this thread caught my attention as I'm a former owner of a pair of Acoustats. I owned them in the mid 80's and enjoyed them very much, they were Model 1's? I believe with the sub (passive). I loved those speakers, I was driving them with not enough power (Carver "The Receiver"). Anyway, quick story, I was playing them for a friend (bachelor life), drinking beer etc. and the friend grabbed a fire poker off of the mantel. He was going to do some air guitar, swung it over his head and poked it through the speaker!!! He rogered up and paid to have the speaker sent to the factory, bought the factory box. The panel tested good, not sure if there was "honeycomb only" damage or what as I don't know the internal construction, it got a new sock and I enjoyed them for several years longer. That's all, just wanted to share my story, thanks!
Old 9th February 2018, 08:51 PM   #1920
diyAudio Member

Cool story. Acoustat speakers are nearly indestructible, which is why I'm still here helping second, third, and even fourth owners. Of course fireplace pokers are no match. We once had a speaker returned to the factory for repairs with bullet holes in it, and another one that had been knifed by an angry wife. Those needed a bit more work than a new grille sock!

Which reminds me of when I worked at Hafler, and we received an amp for repairs, which had been drenched with cat urine. There was much argument among the technicians as to who would be the unlucky one to work on it. I don't remember who worked on it, but being the low man on the totem pole at the time, it was probably me.

Acoustat Answer Man is hereHide this!Advertise here!