Acoustat Answer Man is here

Carver speaker control box

This box is designed for dipoles. I think it really helps my 2+2’s, I almost always use it.
The hologram feature works great, probably works better with stats than any other speaker type. I have some stuff that sounds like it comes from back of my room!

Sub sonic enhancer- this really enhances bass, deeper and more solid. Only on my dire straits mofi brothers in arms vinyl do I have to dial down as the speakers slap.

Gundry perspective- I don’t use it.

Got it off local CL for $50.

Andy, or anyone that can help: I own Spectra 11/1100/2200. My 1100s were stored outside in the heat and it destroyed the gray metallic painted on the mylar (popp-pop fiz-fiz no there's no relief with this). They are for parts now. Here's my question- I would like to change the woofer's in my Spectra 11s; I'd use the 1100's but Hafler had replaced them with the same woofers in my 11s. The sound is a bit muddy and dead ends around 40-45. Is there a crossover mod or a preferred woofer replacement? Regards, 2bdave from Mesa AZ.

Andy, or anyone that can help: I own Spectra 11/1100/2200. My 1100s were stored outside in the heat and it destroyed the gray metallic painted on the mylar (popp-pop fiz-fiz no there's no relief with this). They are for parts now. Here's my question- I would like to change the woofer's in my Spectra 11s; I'd use the 1100's but Hafler had replaced them with the same woofers in my 11s. The sound is a bit muddy and dead ends around 40-45. Is there a crossover mod or a preferred woofer replacement? Regards, 2bdave from Mesa AZ.

Admittedly, the woofer section in the Spectra 11 was its weakest point. The woofer used in the Spectra 1100 was much better. However, the 1100 woofer is not compatible with the 11, as both the box volume and crossover values are different.

There's nothing that can be done to improve the woofer section on the 11, short of replacing the woofer with a better model. Plus, you'd probably need to change some of the crossover values to optimize for the replacement woofer. I do not have any recommendations for a replacement. I do recall someone offering a suggestion in an earlier post.

Anyone?

Got a serious problem with above speakers. Left has a major rolloff from 500hz down, a 10-15db drop compared to right. All panels are working in both but drastic sound difference as you might expect. Ideas???
Tom
Mr Toads Stereo/Video
Kingsport, Tn

Could be a problem with the LF circuit in the interface. Try swapping interfaces: I suspect the problem will follow the interface, as there's really no mechanism whereby the panels could develop an LF roll-off. Make sure the LF transformer tap is properly connected, and check the 1-ohm resistors in series with the LF primary. Also check the 50-watt resistors on the high voltage board. If all of these items check okay, then you probably have a bad LF transformer.

I have 1 + 1's bought in 1987, I believe they have 5 wire 8" panels, is this correct?

Thanks,
Mad

All 1+1's are built with 9" panels. The only application for the 8" panels are the center panels in speakers 3 and 4 panels wide, Spectras excepted.

And yes, if built in 1987, they should have 5 wires. They may also have the improved conductive coating, which can be identified by a bias wire that is yellow with a red stripe.

Woofer for spectra 11/1100

Admittedly, the woofer section in the Spectra 11 was its weakest point. The woofer used in the Spectra 1100 was much better. However, the 1100 woofer is not compatible with the 11, as both the box volume and crossover values are different.

There's nothing that can be done to improve the woofer section on the 11, short of replacing the woofer with a better model. Plus, you'd probably need to change some of the crossover values to optimize for the replacement woofer. I do not have any recommendations for a replacement. I do recall someone offering a suggestion in an earlier post.

Anyone?

Andy, I took the woofers out of my 1100's and had replaced them with Peerless 850136 (now discontinued). They actually sound better with the 11's since the crossover is closer to specifications. I had Hafler replace the 1100 woofers some time ago but they were giving me the 11 woofer.
Oh well, the muddy sound is gone and the bass is flat with a sharp drop off at 35Hz. Unfortunately, if I ever damage them, I'll be back looking for a replacement.
2bdave

Andy, I took the woofers out of my 1100's and had replaced them with Peerless 850136 (now discontinued). They actually sound better with the 11's since the crossover is closer to specifications. I had Hafler replace the 1100 woofers some time ago but they were giving me the 11 woofer.
Oh well, the muddy sound is gone and the bass is flat with a sharp drop off at 35Hz. Unfortunately, if I ever damage them, I'll be back looking for a replacement.
2bdave

WTF - why would "Hafler" (I assume you mean the good folks at Rockford Corp) replace your 1100 woofers with 11 woofers? That's just stupid, irresponsible, and a rip-off. If they didn't have the correct parts, they should have just said they couldn't help you. And why did you need to replace the 1100 woofers?

Just got some 9" panels, with red, light gray and white wires. Any info or what year on these?

Thanks,
Mad

Impossible to say. Are they 3-wire or 5-wire? If 5-wire, they are newer, but still impossible to say exactly what year. BTW, those "light gray" wires were probably originally blue. The age of the panels is really not important as long as they work.

Now, if the panels have a bias wire that is yellow with a red stripe, that indicates the newer conductive coating, which does make a difference and is highly preferred.

Are they 3-wire or 5-wire?

5 wire.

Now, if the panels have a bias wire that is yellow with a red stripe, that indicates the newer conductive coating, which does make a difference and is highly preferred.

Just a solid red wire. These came from a functioning 1 + 1 with sub-woofer option. Something to play with, I have some interfaces that were "worked" on (someone took the diode brd.), bought just for the transformers that match what I have on my 1 + 1's. I might rebuild one interface, for testing panels. Wondering if I can get the 5kV supply working and use my old HP 200 to drive the panels, just a thought.

Thanks,
Mad

2+2 Replacement Panel Needed

@AcoustatAnswerMan and others: Thanks for volunteering your time here! I have an ancient pair of 2+2 speakers of which one recently broke down: one of the four panels produces no sound, the others seem to be working normally. Anybody know where to find a replacement single panel for this unit, which I bought in 1982? Or is it time to move on?

@AcoustatAnswerMan and others: Thanks for volunteering your time here! I have an ancient pair of 2+2 speakers of which one recently broke down: one of the four panels produces no sound, the others seem to be working normally. Anybody know where to find a replacement single panel for this unit, which I bought in 1982? Or is it time to move on?

Although certainly not impossible, it is unusual for a panel to stop working completely. You might try checking the connection of the four red wires where they join at the red pin plug at the interface. You may find a broken connection there (it might be hidden underneath heat-shrink tubing). The red wires supply the bias voltage necessary for the panels' operation. If the red wire is disconnected for the panel in question, the panel will make no sound. Simply correcting that issue may get your speakers working again.

If not, replacement 9-inch panels are occasionally available on the used market (see response from Tyu). No need to junk the whole speaker for one bad panel.

Thanks for your advice on my 2+2. I guess I need more!

If there's a guide to tearing one of these things down and replacing one of the lower panels, please point me to it. If not, I need your advice even more.

I believe, from marks on the wood along the top part of the frame, that this is the same unit on which I already replaced one of the panels about 20 years ago. I can't find a problem on the wiring below the unit, so I'm hoping the problem is with the connections I made inside the unit way back when (rather than trying to run three wires through that complicated channel at the bottom). The bad panel is on the bottom row, unfortunately, which is where I recall the problem being before.

Somehow, with the help of a young audiophile from across the street, we get that cloth rolled down to where we were able to replace the bad unit and redo the wiring. OK, I'm twenty years older now, and there are no young guys I can call on for help this time. My wife can hold things for a few minutes but she's no spring chicken and recently needed back surgery. My back is OK so far, but I'm a retired gent and having trouble getting that cloth even halfway down the frame. I looked at going up from the bottom but it's evident that's not the way I did it before, and those grommets look like a problem.

I sure hope I find something wrong with the wiring because the price for a replacement panel is about what I'd expect to pay for a new speaker system of good enough quality to suit my aging ears. OTOH, disposing of these units is not a trivial task, and I'm a long way from major urban centers, so even taking one for service is a PITA.

So, any advice on how to salvage it without needing back surgery?