Sources for Mylar or similar film

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Looking for sources for Mylar or similar film on the net. It's for use in a planar magnetic speaker.
I think a thickness of 0.006 mm / 6 μm (micron) would be optimal for the project, but thinner might do as well.

Does anyone have some good sources thay can share here?

Have used the 3.5 micron Genuine Dupont Mylar from ER Audio, before (actually I think it was 3.8 .... must have changed1). This goes for AUD $58 for 10 meters.
ER Audio
They also have 6.0 Micron Hostaphan, which goes for AUD $47 for 10 meters

Found this:
One Thing Audio
They have 3 micron diaphragm film (PET) 820 mm x 10 metres for £20 .... 3 micron I think is a bit on the low side :(

Thanks in advance
Baldin :)

Hi,

I bought my 6um film from MartinJan Dijkstra. You can find his e-mail address on this page: Elektrostaten Materialen and I think he also is or was a member here.

This was years ago but I believe he bought an entire roll of the stuff (tens of kilometers) so if he's still in the business of selling this stuff, he probably still has some left :)

Plus, he's from Holland so no hassle with int'l money transfers, customs, etc.

Kenneth

Hi,

I bought my 6um film from MartinJan Dijkstra. You can find his e-mail address on this page: Elektrostaten Materialen and I think he also is or was a member here.

This was years ago but I believe he bought an entire roll of the stuff (tens of kilometers) so if he's still in the business of selling this stuff, he probably still has some left :)

Plus, he's from Holland so no hassle with int'l money transfers, customs, etc.

Kenneth

Yep, still am
One big advantage of the film I bought is the exceptional width (custom made for esls) of 100 cm which allows you to glue 2 panels in one run or to make a single large panel.

Saran , PVDC Is sometimes used for microwaveoven foil.I have bought it in a supermarket here in Denmark.It´s app 10-15 my thick and a bit elastic.I like it,for my planars,but not sure if it´s too elastic.Wath out for perforated film , some brands are.
It´s app 300mm.wide.

Bernt"Båndsei"

Be careful about that- the Saran brand name for food wrap was sold off by Dow. Saran wrap is no longer PVDC; usually it's a mixture of polyethylenes. Saran resin is still PVDC, but there's not much you can do with that unless you happen to have a cast film extrusion line hanging around.

PVDC is a great material, I used it for my last ESL rebuild, but it's expensive and takes some work to find these days.

URL]

In Denmark you can buy this one in a supermarket.

Bernt.

Be careful about that- the Saran brand name for food wrap was sold off by Dow. Saran wrap is no longer PVDC; usually it's a mixture of polyethylenes. Saran resin is still PVDC, but there's not much you can do with that unless you happen to have a cast film extrusion line hanging around.

PVDC is a great material, I used it for my last ESL rebuild, but it's expensive and takes some work to find these days.

Does the PVDC keep its tension in your rebuild? Did you mechanically stretch
the PVDC & then use heat to equalize? Is that the best way to make PVDC stable?
Do you need more support than if you used Mylar?...

It did for about a year, before my (then) 6 year old decided to test the puncture strength.

I should note, though, that the film I used wasn't stretch wrap, which has a lot of stuff compounded in and probably different properties. It had actually been made as a heat-shrinkable barrier film. Very little stretchability, no "clinginess" to the surface.

It did for about a year, before my (then) 6 year old decided to test the puncture strength.

I should note, though, that the film I used wasn't stretch wrap, which has a lot of stuff compounded in and probably different properties. It had actually been made as a heat-shrinkable barrier film. Very little stretchability, no "clinginess" to the surface.

Thx. for the reply...Heat is simple enough for me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.