Looking for an Open Baffle Dipole project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

First post. :p

Have done a few DIY builds before (not my own designs) of speakers and amps and are fairly good with a set of power tools. I have access to a carpentry workshop and even a CNC if needed.

Am presently using a pair of AudioVector M3 Signature. Which I love by the way...

Have been checking out various DIY loudspeaker projects, and are looking for something out-of-the-ordinary. Enter Jamo R909! That is one nice looking speaker! :D Never had the opportunity to listen to it.

Jamo-R909-IFA05.jpg

I know practically next-to-nothing about the dipole technology, but figured that with some help and guidelines perhaps such a project could be carried through?

I don't have a test lab and unlimited time and resources, so unless you think there's a chance I could actually get a well sounding speaker out of it, I think I'd better forget all about it. But I would very much like to give it a shot though...

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

/G

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding the Visaton NoBox how much would I "destroy" sound/performance-wise by making a curved front instead making it look much more like the R909? I would ensure to maintain the dimensions as suggested in the design (1215mm x 520mm).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding the Visaton NoBox how much would I "destroy" sound/performance-wise by making a curved front instead making it look much more like the R909? I would ensure to maintain the dimensions as suggested in the design (1215mm x 520mm).

It doesn't matter if You make it curved or not, there are so many other more
important factors that decide if you like the sound or not...

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
They all seem to include an enclosure for the bass. The R909 does not, and I like that better. :)

I think you should take another closer look at the "Nao" site. Particular the Nao Note. The woofer section can either be dipole or cardioid.

I think you will find that the R909 is not likely in the same class as the Nao speakers or Linkwitzh Orion, for that matter.

best regards,
mkc

You will need a subwoofer for this one,
recommended crossover frequency is 80Hz,
6db/octave rolloff for the dipol 08 satelites and
an effective acoustical 18db/octave rolloff
for the subwoofer(s) at minimum.

Dipole subwoofers are recommended, a monophonic
(but dipole) subwoofer is also possible, covering the
range from about 35 to 80 Hz.

The subwoofer should be free from resonances/irregularities
up to 300Hz.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/176556-dipol-08-baffle-dimension-list-crossover-parts.html

Last edited:
Depends on whether you like the sound of the bass drum. If it is dispensable, you have lots of choices. If it is not, you can't easily* go OB.

Quite a stretch (in a literal sense) to get low notes from an OB even driving it nuts with Linkwitz-sized, Doppler-distortion engendering EQ.

*Does "easily" sound like a 3 x 5 foot sheet of MDF in your music room? In the odd event that it does, you can make a giant OB, like I did. Far better below 40 Hz than my Klipshorn and pretty good above too, in a small room.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Diving in to the world of OB does sound a bit more complicated than I originally thought. :confused:

A kind soul has offered me to listen to his Emerald Physics CS2 and I think I'll try to do that sometime soon to get a better sense of what to expect from en OB speaker. Especially concerning bass response.

I did do a quick mockup/adaptation of the NoBox BB (perhaps using an Eminence Aplha 15A instead) parts for a R909 baffle. Notice the "bass tube" - I was thinking of making this "adjustable" as to better be able to tune the bass response to the room. The baffle is tilted back by 5 degress. The baffle dimensions are exactly those of the NoBox BB. I also think the speaker would need a tweeter as I like sparkling highs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I know we don't all share the same taste (which is good!), but I really don't find this look very sexy for a speaker:

BZ1.jpg

Most OB's I have seen are very "experimental" to look at (I do appreciate that many are "under development"...).

My primary focus is of course sound quality but I have to take the WAF into consideration as well... ;)

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
but I really don't find this look very sexy for a speaker:

neither do I, but its completely up to the speaker builder how he does it
here is more of basszilla types, some better than others
Tip_45
just personal note, I would rather have ugly good sounding speakers than nice looking bad sounding ones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.