Fibonacci Ribbons from George Short

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
there is US patent application...

I would be surprised if the rear of the ribbon supports do not effectively turn the ribbon into sections at some high frequency - this then may in essence resolve back to an approximation that is the same as multiple smaller ribbons angled in the vertical plane, which of course has issues at high frequencies.

Still, it may sound ok...

_-_-bear

I've been looking at the drawings in the patent application and I think it´s doable DIY wise, at least as an experiment.
Has anyone tested it and like to share the results?

I have now a 128 cm by 26 mm corrugated ribbon (that would be 50'' by 1'') and as I get the charateristic 5-6 dB raise from 3 kHz to 13 kHz bending the ribbon the Fibonacci way might lower that level. Also bending the ribbon horizontally have come across my mind.
Any thoughts?

I've heard the Fibonacci ribbons and I thought they sounded wonderful. Having said that, George ought to hire a designer to integrate them into a package that looks less "home-made". Physical appearance goes a long way when selling audio products, so why not have a speaker that sounds great and looks really high end, too?

John

Would that then be the "raw" responses without any active or passive corrections or filtering?

That's a good question that the text doesn't exactly answer.

The roll off in response below 80Hz and the accompanying rise in impedance is attributed to a protection circuit. The roll off slope appears to be -12dB/octave. So, this could be a 2nd order HP filter described as protecting the ribbon from over excursion and heat.

Also, most directly driven ribbons have a nearly constant resistive impedance. The peak of 14 ohm in the midrange(1.1kHz) makes me think that there is a notch filter involved to suppress a roughly 10dB peak in the native response of the ribbon, or ribbon + enclosure.

However, elsewhere on the website claims of "no crossover" are made, so...

Every picture on the website looks like it was taken in the same home. The owner of the company.

Very homey, I'll admit.

Looks like he could use the aid of an Industrial Designer or Architect (I'm available) to add a little more grace to somewhat DIY looking products.

I'm sure most here will judge his speakers by what they hear in person and not what by what they see in photos or see in person.

Still, looks account for something in the world of Hi-End. The more you spend the better it is expected to look.

What makes this "special"? The numbers?

Or is it a truly unique design?

Seems to me that this company is a fly-by-night affair where a guy with a garage and $20k in investment capital thinks he can make it in the "hi-fi" world as a world-class manufacturer. More advertising, words, and flair than actual product.

Every picture on the website looks like it was taken in the same home. The owner of the company.

George is definitely NOT "fly by night". I've known him for over 20 years ( I own Serial #'s 007 and 008 of North Creek Music Systems speakers) Yes, he operates out of a small shop, but in the real world, that means more attention to detail and higher quality. Perhaps you could find some world class "hi-fi" down at the nearest Best Buy.

North Creek has been around for quite a few years...

As far as bending a ribbon, it implies supports of some sort, since thin aluminum foil won't hold its shape on its own.

So I am wondering how he is doing this and what sort of efficiency/sensitivity it has... a freq response graph would be nice too, eh? :D

_-_-bear

That is what one of his patents is about....the suspension method.

Ok...I've replied to a few posts here from people who are ignorant. Ignorance is not intended as an insult, just in it's proper context of "not knowing"

I've known George for over 20 years, and consider myself lucky to count him among my best friends. I have firsthand knowledge of his expertise, methodology, and the quality of his products. I literally watched him conduct his research which earned him a Master's Degree in Physics.

George is one of the most honest, forthright, and technically proficient people I know. I have never heard him inflate a claim, and anyone who has purchased or assembled his loudspeakers (if they adhere to guidelines) will attest to the measurable accuracy of his responses and the sound quality of his products. I can assure you that if he says his 12 ga. coils are better than an 18 ga. coil, it's because he has measured the inductance and found the 12 ga. to be a better design element. If he says his capacitors are "special" it's because he found them to work better in his products than a competitors. Think about it....it really would serve no purpose to fabricate something like that.

Bottom line is, the guy is the real deal. He may try to sell a little sizzle when you're shopping for a steak, but he should, after all. Just don't doubt his integrity.

I consider myself lucky to have heard these speakers last summer at Audiofest in Md.
I talked briefly with George as her was setting things up and what I heard was very good. I have been enjoying my Maggy 3's for a year now and I am use to very open sound.
Its obvious that his speakers are hand build in a small shop, but to me thats a good thing. He is a speaker manufacturer not a furniture man.
I am hoping he will come back to Audiofest this summer

I am going to make a clone that is a planar,curved vertically.I have had problems with planners,as well as ribbons regarding too much level on top.I make it app. 70mm. wide and 1000mm. long.3 rows of neodynm. magnets.More later ,probably in my tread: Diy planners.
Båndsei.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.