Quad ESL 57 panel refurbish: DIY or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair with S/N around 50000 but still no clamping boards. I read somewhere that they can be substituted with gas discharge lightning suppressors rated at 1.5 kV.

Yeah, there is a suggestion to use one particular type : CG3-1.5L.
Not sure if its really any better than a clamping board. IMO gas discharge voltage suppressors are designed to clamp low number of large transients; but what about frequent long term use?
Gonna try this as its a lot easier to install and cheaper also than building a zener based protection board.

Regards,
Lukas.

Yes, a lot of stuff available to read about this speakers.

For me, it is like a lifetime love, the ESL57.

My first contact with this speakers was in 1973, when I was 17 years old. My boss at this time was a formerly owner of a HiFi shop.

And he offered me a pair of NOS ESL57 for about 400.- swiss francs.

I used it in my very very small room in my parents house, driven by a Pamphonic tube amp (mono, the speakers attached in parallel) and a Lenco L75 turntable.

This was the initiation of my audiophile sickness...

Later, I sold the Quads and purchased a B&O amplifier and speakers (not to bad in the 70ties). The turntable was a direct driven Dual and a Decca London Cartridge.

I used this setup during 20 years (got married, childrens and so on), but I was always dreaming about the ESL's sound.

After a phase of using NAD/Quadral 3-way speakers, I began actively to search starting 2001. Building a lot of speakers (Coral Beta 8, Fostex wood horns and more) and built many amplifiers and other equipment.

The ESL's are for me a "back to the root" story, it stopped my search for my loved sound, driven by an F5 amp and JC2 preamp, feeded by a squeezebox/Audio Alchemy DDE3.0 DAC or simplistic RIAA/Thorens TD126/SME/Benz ACE S.

The Nelson Pass F5 is imho the best amp to drive ESL57. The F5 does not care about the complex impedance load. Much better than the original QuadII !! And, very important: no worries to arc the treble panels!

Life is good. Life is love. Life is sound!
Franz

/Edit
I forgot: the ESL are supported by a professional 350W JBL Subwoofer.

Last edited:
The conductive coating is on the outer side of the stators, and it should be near zero resistance. You can measure the continuity from the rivet at either side to any point on the surface. The grey painting should be scrathed a bit with the DMM probe. If there is open circuit, check the rivet-to-metalization continuity. But the stators themselves seldom have any problem. Is there polarizing voltage present at the diaphragm? Is it perhaps leaking? You can check leaking by the neon bulb method mentioned in this thread. Swapping the working and non-working stator could also exclude any problem in the HT unit and in the transformer.

Agree totally.
I have a parallel-mosfet F5 and that improved the naturalness a lot. Some call it turbo, others hot. Well, for me it is more laid back . .
And that is precisely what these speakers want.
Many amplifiers get squeezed in the high leading to the severe directivity; with my t-F5 that is all gone.
Some might think the squeezed sound is from a bad panel: not at all.
:)

For me, it is like a lifetime love, the ESL57.

The ESL's are for me a "back to the root" story, it stopped my search for my loved sound, driven by an F5 amp and JC2 preamp, feeded by a squeezebox/Audio Alchemy DDE3.0 DAC or simplistic RIAA/Thorens TD126/SME/Benz ACE S.

The Nelson Pass F5 is imho the best amp to drive ESL57. The F5 does not care about the complex impedance load. Much better than the original QuadII !! And, very important: no worries to arc the treble panels!

Life is good. Life is love. Life is sound!
Franz

/Edit
I forgot: the ESL are supported by a professional 350W JBL Subwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.