Planar speaker - first try

Also-

When I put the 4.5 mm alu foil on the membrane, I overlap the width of the cut out and turn the foil thro' 90 degrees then another 90 degrees until you travel in the opposite direction across your membrane. I mark the membrane between the magnets with indelible pen, and cover this with the tape, which is easier to turn than the 9 mm size.;)

The distance is 3 mm. I will be putting more pictures on the imgur sight later. Keeping the membrane nice and tight helps with the bass and cuts down on flapping etc. I won't be building any bigger neos than this size. the bigger size 1000 x 550 mm will be for my ferrite ones as I have many magnets available from downsizing. The gap on the ferrite ones will be 2 mm as these need help when compared with the neo magnets. When you put the magnets on slide them over the perforated steel sheet as they break too easily when dropping them on the sheet, also too dangerous on the fingers as I found out. (2 blood blisters and 2 gashes). A tight membrane all the way round is very important to get rid of funny noises when playing loud music with lots of bass!;)

diaphragm tightening.

I place the diaphragm in position under the 4 pieces of wood holding it in place. Mark the holes in the diaphragm with an awl , remove the wood then mark round the holes with a square and cut this out the diaphragm, so you can move it in any direction.Place the diaphragm roughly in position and hold with drawing pins at the corners. Place the wooden clamps in position and put a few screws in position. Pull diaphragm tight and tighten the screws in position. Then work your way around pulling the diaphragm tight until you have all the screws in position keep doing this until it is tight all round. Once you have a few screws in position you can remove the drawing pins. So you can complete the gradual tightening. you can see the diaphragm loosing its ripples as you go round loosening and tightening screws. You tap it with your fingers testing the tautness.:D

whooo thats sounds awesome james, i still have like 4 panels of magnepan smg a standing around with broken mylar or coils destroyed etc. im planning on recoiling it with the cpc security tape, wich is much lighter then the orignial coil, also foil can get rid of heat muich more easy then the wires so i might get away with less aluminium higher resistance lower weight but maybe can handle same power because of the better heat dispersion. only trouble might be the higher resonace frequency, so im planing on dampening with vilt and using 2 panels a side, and then use a electrostatic for the high freq 1K and up or even lower, depends on how low a verry small stat can go because i want dispersion to be good. i think we get best of both worlds with this design ,both are dipole speakers , magneplanar is better in low freq where stats own magneplanars in mid and highs. no expensive tranformers with huge stepups no saturation no mirror drive etc.

when i use all four pannels i could use them serie we might end up in 8 ohm range and spread the power. i would have a huge huge bass panel aroud the 2,2 meter high and a verry narrow tweeter/midrange of 3 cm width and 2 meter high (maybe less nobody is 2 meters long when sitting down :) )

wich such huge magneplanar i could lower the resonance freq of the bass without mylar hitting the magnets because they get half the power the would have normally

Last edited:
Here is my femm.simm.
my.php

my.php

my.php

Hi LineArray

I see a problem in that the HalbachArray will produce a "plate" of magnets with no airflow through .... you will always want the membrane to be as close to the magnets as possible, (trade off btw. field strength and Xmax) .... with the Hallbach you will at best get a high degree of compression ...
I haven't looked/simed at the field strength, but putting magnets close together with different polarisation I would think you loose a lot of strength ..... but thats only my guess .... so, no I do not think it is applicable for this kind of speakes ....
But thanks for taking it up ;)