Techspray Licron Crystal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oke, this is not a topic where i tell you how great licron is beacause i dont know yet, neither do i want a list of other coatings that are superior according to some and crappy according to others..
But a question to anybody who ever diluted it or knows hoe to. because i wanted to delute it a bit , first because it raises the resistance a bit and second so i can aply it more easy with a brush. anybody know where to delute it with ? looks to me it can be deluted with water, but what the result may be is still a question. i ordered a sample from the distributeur because nowhere in the netherlands is selling it to normal people without a company. so i hope she send me a full can :) so i can do some tests.

these are the ingriedients

Component CAS#
Water .................................................................................7732-18-5
2-Propanol .........................................................................200-661-0
1-Butanol.............................................................................200-751-6
Nitromethane......................................................................75-52-5
Methanol ............................................................................67-56-1
Propane..............................................................................74-98-6
N-Butane.............................................................................106-97-8
Polymer, Proprietary
Includes other hazardous components in non-reportable quantities

By the way Iron oxide is not on this list althoug i found a data sheet stating it used Iron Oxide <5% anybody know if this is the reason why its conductive ? because as far as i know no of the above is conducting

Last edited:
I wouldn't use straight water for dilution- this would raise the surface tension and slow the drying, which are NOT what you want to do. Either a water/isopropanol/methanol mixture or (what I'd do) just straight isopropanol.

Iron oxide is not conductive- it is usually added as a colorant.

yeah i thought of the methanol to beacause it will be gone pretty fast. ans is a substance already in the mixture. isopropanol i dont know where to get, when it wiki it stated that acetone is also a isopropanol, if so could i use that? although that evaporates really really quick. just to be sure il stick to methanol.

Last edited:
I've used it myself but I haven't tried diluting it. If it contains isopropynol, then it stands to reason that that would be a proper diluent. I can tell you that it's pretty thin right out of the can, as it's about 97% volatiles and you could easily brush apply it without thinning it at all. In fact, I had only a small amount left in the can to use on my last set of panels so I took a chance and sprayed on a tack coat, then spread it out to a wet thin coating with a foam brush and it worked great.

ok charlie that sounds nice, because i also readed some posts of people that are aplying allot wetten it all down ans using allot of the stuf for only one coat. because of the relative low resistance i want to make a thin as possible coating saves me money and also weight and i can manage 1G Ohm or 1.5 its fine by me. maybe the total wet downs where with the old licron thats is possible to.

I've done three sets of panels with the Licron Crystal. When it's applied just wet enough for the aerosol droplets to merge into a continous wet coating it will then dry to about 2 microns thickness. The can says it has E6-E9 resistivity, which is less than optimum but it sounds good to me.

I only brushed the Licron Crystal on my last set of panels because I didn't have enough left in the can to spray apply a full continous coating. On the last panels, I first sprayed a tiny bit on the foam brush to wet it, then sprayed what was left in the can on the diaphragms, then smoothed out the coating with the foam brush. As I said, it holds a charge and sounds exactly the same to my ears but I didn't have any means to measure the resistance for comparison. Even though the coating is clear when sprayed or brushed, the surface will break up light prismatically when viewed from an angle (similar to an oil sheen on water) and I did note some streaking in the prismatic effect with the brush application.

I've heard that the original Licron was much thicker and didn't stick all that well to Mylar but I can attest that the Licron Crystal sticks very well indeed-- I mean, you can scratch it off with a fingernail but you really have to work at it. I suppose the big unknown is just how thin it can be brushed before it loses the ability to hold a uniform charge over its surface. Too bad I don't have any means to make measurements.

oke crystal clear.... strange i get some white glare like i used to much PVA glue and try to rub it off. this is deluted 1:1 with Isopropanol, gone try it regular way just spray on rough and then make a nice coat with a brush. cant believe its drying out clear because the stuff is black grey.

i did use the 1756 formule the new one not the old licron

ok, when diluted poor output. when sprayed just 2 long strokes on an ES200 panel, use brush to make nice even coating, dry and done. finally the same result as the glue with soap on a not humidity day :) usaully when it started raining that day efficiency dropped with 9 db or something , really incredible. hope this wont happen with the coating that supoosed to work on 0-100% hum well lets see.

you can spray a dozen or more panels with a full can. if you do it this way.

Licron Crystal #1756-8s

:) There is no one who has data. However, I have it on my panels, I abused and have them everything I can do to destroy the diagphram, good luck. All you need is patience to let it dry, I am listening to mine now, at full throttle, chrystal clear.
As far as mylar, I have a test piece i sprayed about three months ago, I cannot tear it off. I have no way to test conductivity, but looks the same today as then. I recmmmend it, and everyone in my famaliy will agree, the best sounding speakers they have ever heard, no guess work.
This is with thanks to CharlieM, he coated them and I could not be happier.
BTW, what do you have to loose, they will send you a can for free. Just ask.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.