Toroid Primary 2 Yellow Wire Wich one is + , -

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi

I draw something it's not really professional and I don't know if it's correct at all
so no guarantee maybe someone who knows what he/she s doing can check that. there's a high-voltage inverter no idea what kind it is
attachment.php

hironimo

Attachments

• electronics.jpg
    electronics.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 373
Thanks hironimo for posting that sketch.
I can see how the thing works now-- the inverter rectifying the 12VDC back to AC ahead of the CW multiplier. Too bad we don't know the output frequency and voltage from the inverter. You could measure the output voltage at least with a DVM--- still wouldn't know the frequency but I figure the higher the frequency the less ripple you'd get (apparently ripple isn't all that critical for a bias supply anyway, as mine has a lot and it doesn't seem to matter).

hi CharlieM
some closer look at the inverter and tomorrow I attach the diaphragm

The inverter appears to be a Royer oscillator commonly used for CCFL drivers, available from many online electronic supply distributors. They usually run at 20kHz - 50kHz and put out 600VAC to 900VAC depending on the CCFL tube they were designed to drive. The output voltage is proportional to the input voltage. Full output voltage usually achieved with 12VDC input.

There is a bit more information and some additional pics in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...ge-bias-diy-electrostatics-3.html#post2098459

Hi

i'm finished with the panels cool something confuses me that on one side where the connections are ( stator /diahpragm on the foto right ) it is a little louder and higher
and on the other side it sound like bass is it ok

thanks!

hironimo

Attachments

• IMG_3483.jpg
    IMG_3483.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3484.jpg
    IMG_3484.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 56
hi Wachara C.

the panel is 18 x 40 inch made of perforated steel 1mm thick with 2 mm holes 40% and 65mil D/S spacing with two vertical spacers.av. 4.5 inch away two torroids 230v/7v x 2 50 VA per panel ( I'm not sure what turn ratio that is ) and a regulated bias power supply. should go up to 8 kv but I can't measure that.
the coating is elvamide.The spacers on the outside are pvc angle profile and the vertical
spacers in the middle are made of foamtape.
elvamide mixture:8g in 100ml ethanol and then 50 % of the solution with 50% ethanol
and then brusehd 15 ml on the mylar per panel.( it's a guess if it's to much or not)
so they sound ok or good but I don't have a reference and my amp I use for now is a sony 550es . So when I have my ear close to the panel as I wrote on the right side it's louder and there are highs and on the left side its kind of hollow and not so loud.this is the case with both panels I also turned them arround.
the connection is a copperstrip on the right side.
I used elvamide because it should work and I ordered it with the hostaphan and it should be better as graphite ( what I read I didn't tryed it out ) my first choice would be Licron because you can spray it on and let it dry I think this is easy and some others did it too but it's not available here.

so long

thanks

hironimo

Hi Hironimo,

I still think that your coating looks too thick. I'm not familiar with using elvamide, but from the picture it seems that you only coat the middle part of your diaphragm. Please make sure that the coating has a good contact with the copper strip in order to get a good electrical charge on the diaphragm.

Your using 2 toroidal transformers has around 1:65 step up ratio. I think you should need at least around 100 watts amp to get good sounding.

Good luck with your build.

Wachara C.

Hi,

The resistance of elvamide is already very high and may change a factor 1000 depending on humidity and temperature. This may affect the charging process, both locally and on the whole and this might possibly acount for your experience.
There might be other reasons but without measurements it is difficult to say.

hi

i took the panel and put on a new diaphragm this time i used graphite it is not so bad to apply and now the sound comes from everywhere

like Wachara C said the elvamide coating was to thick.I think elvamide is not bad but I dont't now how thick to apply and theres not really much information and anyway for me it's try and error thing because I cant measure something
yesterday I read all about coatings and I went nuts.

next thing is the amplifier I have one but it needs minimum 4 Ohm speaker and it's not really loud maybe a 1ohm resistor like jazzman has on his speaker will work
or should I look for a amp than can handle 2 ohm speakers? or what is the trick with amplifying esl

thank you for any comments and I'm happy that there are people helping me.

hironimo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.