magnet wire for stators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've found this one, it's for garden purposes.

1.8 mm galvanized steel, covered with 0.6 mm PVC, 3mm total.

Works beautifully and it's cheap, 12$/100 meters.

Straightening is done like Calvin says in post above...
Jonas, Calvin
There is a chance of getting kynar coated wire ether 1.2/1.6 or 1.6/2.0 [mm] id/od.
Not as cheap as the one above, nevertheless:
a) Which one would be better?
b) Having 1.6 mm d/s spacing what would be the proper wire to wire distance?
c) Max permissible bias voltage...

I've tried Kynar shrinktubing , and in my experiments the Kynar, when playing loud, got charged by the signal voltage and output went down considerably... after cooling down for some hours(!) the output recovered to normal levels again.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Now we are having sport for the real;)
Suggestion #3 @ http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/148309-wire-stator-design.html#post1893552
states that Kynar is the superior material in respect to PVC etc.
Could it be that charged film leaves a charge on the Kynar surface touching it, while playing loud.
Kynar's low surface conductivity keeps the charge intact?

I've tried Kynar shrinktubing , and in my experiments the Kynar, when playing loud, got charged by the signal voltage and output went down considerably... after cooling down for some hours(!) the output recovered to normal levels again.

Interesting...thanks for the report.

I did not experience this type of behavior with the following Kynar insulated wire:
Welcome to PMC Corporation

What type of wire was the kynar tubing shrunk over? Was it magnet wire? I have experinced some charging of the outer surface of the dielectric with particular magnet wire insulations.

Any chance that the tubing did not shrunk tight to the wire? leaving an insulating airgap in places?

It was shrunk over 3 mm brass rods, the heat was provided by a custom built oven. There may have been airpockets.....

What was the D/S spacing, and at what stator voltages did this happen?
Did you happen to have experimented with a panel without the kynar tubing on the 3mm brass bars?

Perhaps the drop in sensitivity was from air ionization rather than charge build up on the surface of the kynar tubing.
It is possible to get a reduction in sensitivity if the drive voltages on the stators are high enough to ionize the air in the gap.
This draws current from the diaphragm HV supply and lowers the diaphragm voltage if the HV supply is the typical voltage multiplier which can not supply much current.
When I experienced this problem, I would see the charge indicator neon light flash rapidly.
Using a fan to blow the ionized air out of the gap, the flash rate dropped, and sensitivity returned to normal.
I was using uninsulated copper wire at the time.

There is mention of this effect on Janszen panels tested by McIntosh Labs which use PVC wire insulation.
McIntosh Loudspeaker Division Part 1
About 7/8 the way down the page.

Well,
now I see it this way.
1. PVDF is low surface energy material - no adhesion whatsoever, so contact type like the staff on Scotch tape... or toxic exotics or welding.
2. Even @ bulk quantities it's about 1$ per foot, depending on manufacturer... heatshrink.
3. DFM is much better and unproportionaly expensive
4. Have to try both:(
PVDF and PVC, trying to get one without dibutylftalate

Practice makes it perfect...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.