Alternative enclosure material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am curious what people have to say about fiberglass, ceramic, carbon fiber, and anything else not wood or metal. I am aware some times people use PVC.

I am doing a lot of thinking about ceramics for horns, but possibly making inner frame work with something else to make them lighter and then giving an outside ceramic coat instead of having stuff that is 2 inches thick (and not movable).

This might be more or less based around PA type stuff for shows with instruments and less on playback.

In the "multi-way" section of the loudspeakers forum you'll find several examples of alternative materials. I posted some preliminary information on a fiberglass-based curved baffle speaker that's still an ongoing project, and another on a polyurethane/sand mixture with promising properties. Others have posted some great ideas you might want to consider--including ceramics. You might do some searches there to see if they trigger some useful ideas.
Few

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.