Acoustat spectra 33 x-over

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

First Hi to everyone, it's my first thread,

Ok I a have a question for you guys, I recently swat a pair of model 3 red medallion into spectra 33. The speaker are done and work perfectly, but I have something in my mine that bother me. Maybe one of you can help me with that.

In my version I didn't use any subwoofer as the original one, so I didn't install the swith and the 10ohm. Someone who knows very very well the acoustat told me that I need the keep a minimum of 47uf where the input signal is.

My question : why I need to keep a minimum of 47uF, why I can't remove all the capacitor, I don't need any x-over it's a full range speaker...? If someone can take 5 min of their time for me I'll really appreciate

thank you very much,

Sorry for my english!

Matt

Attachments

• spectra33.JPG
    spectra33.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 193
In my version I didn't use any subwoofer as the original one, so I didn't install the swith and the 10ohm. Someone who knows very very well the acoustat told me that I need the keep a minimum of 47uf where the input signal is.

My question : why I need to keep a minimum of 47uF, why I can't remove all the capacitor, I don't need any x-over it's a full range speaker...? If someone can take 5 min of their time for me I'll really appreciate

According to the circuit diagram you posted when the switch is put in full range position the 10 ohm resistor is removed and a 1 ohm resistor is put in parallel with the input capacitors. Do you have this 1 ohm resistor in your circuit?

For full range operation the 1 ohm resistor effectively bypasses the capacitors at low frequencies providing full signal strength in the bass. It also helps keep the transformers from saturating on large bass transients. At high frequencies, the capacitors in parallel with the 1 ohm resistor will bypass the resistor allowing full treble response. Perhaps this is what your friend was saying about keeping a minimum of 47uF in the circuit.

Moray James knows Acoustats very well. Hopefully he will be able to give you a better answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.