How hard is it to build PS for ESL speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, a friend of mine is upgrading his Sound Lab panels and offered to sell me the old, but still good, Sound Lab panels. I am new to Electrostats and was wondering if I could build the power supply instead of buying them from Sound Lap for $5,000.00!!!

Is there anything else in the Power Supply beside the transformers? Thanks in advance.

Hi All, a friend of mine is upgrading his Sound Lab panels and offered to sell me the old, but still good, Sound Lab panels. I am new to Electrostats and was wondering if I could build the power supply instead of buying them from Sound Lap for $5,000.00!!!

Is there anything else in the Power Supply beside the transformers? Thanks in advance.

Which model Sound Lab panels does your friend have?

The interface module on most full range Sound Lab panels contain:
1) HV power supply to place charge on the diaphragm
2) smallish HF transformer; not sure of step up ratio. some are toroidal, others conventional EI core
3) large LF transformer that contains several primary taps; again, not sure of step up ratio
4) crossover parts for the HF & LF transformers

Unlike the Acoustats which place the crossover on the HV secondary side of the transformers, Soundlab uses crossover components on the primary side of both transformers.

Bass response is adjusted by selecting different taps on the primary of the LF transformer.
Mid response is adjusted by changing the inductance in series with the LF transformer.
Highs are adjusted by changing the value of the damping resistor in series with the HF transformer.

You might check out the Soundlab Owners Group to see if anybody has built their own before.
SLOG

Also, Kevin Covi had some write-ups on modifying the A3 crossover.
Here are a couple links to get you started digging for info:
Sound Lab ESL Tweaks
Tweaks

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. Those links are great. I'll let you know how it turns out. Cheers.

If it's not too much trouble, posting some pics of what you find in the PS module would be much appreciated.
Not much information here on diyAudio about Soundlab ESLs.

Here is a copy of one of the few pics I've found on line...can't remember where from.

Attachments

• Soundlab_xover_01.jpg
    Soundlab_xover_01.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Good morning Kavermei. That would work. I am hoping to get very good hi res pics of the PS and go from there. I have build a lot of audio junk so I am not concerned with the level of difficulty. Looking at the pic the Bolserst posted, I don't think this will be difficult. I imagined a much more complicated build. I am hoping that the component data is on the parts I will see so I can match them as close as possible. Cheers.

Hi djn,

I have to agree with you, it won't be difficult to build at all. Come to think of it, the hardest part might be to source the transformers (even if you enlist the help of a custom winder), since one way or the other, you need to figure out the turns ratio and working frequency band for each.

Have fun!
Kenneth

Hi djn,

I have to agree with you, it won't be difficult to build at all. Come to think of it, the hardest part might be to source the transformers (even if you enlist the help of a custom winder), since one way or the other, you need to figure out the turns ratio and working frequency band for each.

Have fun!
Kenneth

I talked to a guy (Russ) at Justrightmusic last night and he does custom widings for ESL speakers. He has his own line of ESL speakers and knows the Sound Labs well. He said he could wind up what ever I needed.

Thanks B, I think there will be some mystery under those two plastic boxes. I'll sure to burn up a lot of digital film on this one.

From what I can see, one of those boxes has to contain the HV power supply, which should be pretty easy to build yourself. Plenty of guys here that can help if you have questions. The other box must contain the tapped inductor used to LP the larger transformer.

If Russ from Just Real Music is familiar with the Sound Lab products he should be able to tell you what voltage is needed for the HV supply, and what value of inductor is needed. Very cool that he can supply transformers for you. That would be the hardest part to make yourself.

Looking forward to your pics :D

He is not sure of the voltages, but when I have the stock ones all torn apart, I will get all the volt and amp readings and give him that data. I think the volts of the different taps for the bass will be important....however, my friend runs his in the flat position so I might just get that voltage and wind the transformers to that. We will see. Yep, I will post pix.

Hi all, I just talked to a friend of mine who owns a metal fab shop. A bunch of us work on our own projects there after hours. I showed him the pictures of the box that SL uses to house there trannies and such and he said he could duplicate that in a coupld house. He has all the metal brakes and I can weld anything. So I am getting more and more excited about this.

A non ferrous case would be better and a wooden case would be better again. If you are building from scratch.

A used set of Acoustat interfaces would drive your panels well and you can tap off the HT supply at what ever voltage that you need. Would be a lot cheaper than having transformers built from scratch. You could compare them to your buddy's and see how they stack up. If you decided to go with building Sound Lab transformers you would not have any trouble selling off the Acoustats or you could keep them for a DIY project of your own down the road. Just some possible options.

Hi Moray, funny you should bring up the Acoustat. A friend of mine just said the same thing today. I am too ignorant about the whole ESL thing to know if it would work or not, and, I don't know what Acoustats are. I did find Acoustat tube amps on the net that are supose to be just for ESL speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.