Help needed, Rebuild/repair of Final 0.3 hybrid electrostatics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of very ill Final 0.3. First I intend to fix the two electrostatic panels. Both panels are very low in volume, and even at this level one distorts whilst the other does not.
I found a kit to fix (!?) them from era audio in australia though they appear to be now defunct, I cannot contact them.
I am not averse to re-design as I understand that these were originally a pig to drive and did not go very loud at all.
As I am a novice when it comes to electrostatics all advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Neddy

Hi Neddy,

if you never built an ESL before this will not be an easy project. There are many things that can go wrong. To bring this to a good end, it would be very good if you could find a fellow DIYer close by, someone who already has some experience with ESLs, and who is willing to assist you.

Of course if you see them as 'sacrificial' speakers, and want to do this as a learning experience rather than being 100% certain you'll get the speakers working again, that's okay too.

Not to put you off, but it's a choice you need to make.

Kenneth

Help Wanted - anybody in Dublin ? experience with Final 0.3

Hi Kenneth,
thanks for the reply. I had assumed having all the basic elements already would save me a lot of grief.
So, is there anyone out there near dublin ?
Anyone with experience of fixing the Final 0.3 ?
Cheerz
Neddy

Neddy, can you kindly post some pics? Chinesswong had issues with copper tape corroding. I my self , or Charlie. rebuilt my panels from scratch, my coating was old. from my understanding, disassemble will most likely destroy them. I am speculating here, so a pic is worth a thousand words. There are alot of brilliant people here, take their advice.

Neddy,
I'm surprised you have not had a reply from Rob Mackinlay of ER Audio.

I used to be the UK distributer of his ESL kits and repair kits and have always found Rob to most efficient at replying to enquiries and always had quick and helpful replies from Rob. However, it must be nearly a year now since last we communicated.

You may get better feedback by contacting Rob on the following email address robmackinlay@iinet.net.au or his USA agent Mike Beck at beckaudio@gmail.com for clarification regards the availability of the Final 0.3 repair kits.

If indeed Rob has stopped trading and selling his speaker kits and ESL repair kits I have a pdf copy the repair instructions for the Final 0.3.

Contact me via pm or email through this forum should you require a copy.

Regards
Colin Topps (Toppsy)

Neddy,

First things first ! ESLs have three main components, the diaphgragm/stator assembly - the actual loudspeaking element, the High Voltage DC Bias supply - that charges up the diaphragm, and the Audio Transformer - that takes the Low Voltage Audio from your amplifier and steps the voltage up to the thousands of volts to provide an alternating voltage to work against the DC Bias voltage and make the diaphragm move.

My experience is with Quad ESLs, but the principles are the same. The problem that Quads have is low or no DC Bias Voltage causing low or no output ! So don't be in a
hurry to "rebuild your panels" until you have eliminated problems with the DC Bias and also with the Audio Drive Signals. Both of these operate at HIGH LEVELS - SEVERAL THOUSAND VOLTS - so are not to be trifled with ! It would be a good idea to accept
the offered PDF of the service manual, and to seek out a local electronics or ham radio
hobbyst who might have the electronic test equipment needed to test the electronic
parts of the speaker ...

Good Thread! Question for you...

Hi guys,

Quick question...

I have the Final 0.3 set, and have lost the connectors for the back... (duh)

They seem to be pretty unique to this set-up, and I have had the hardest time ever finding them!

If you can help me in any way, that would be a LIFESAVER!!!!!

Thanks so much!

Brian

I too have a pair of 0.3's...

They have the original bass units but seem fried! - i have tried the peerless units & they seem to be a fair replacement - BUT

Both panels have lost some sensitivity, One more than the other - ive tried swapping sides, psu's etc & it seems that the panels are faulty rather than any of the electronics -

Any tips for re-building?

Thanks

Steve

I too have a pair of 0.3's...

They have the original bass units but seem fried! - i have tried the peerless units & they seem to be a fair replacement - BUT

Both panels have lost some sensitivity, One more than the other - ive tried swapping sides, psu's etc & it seems that the panels are faulty rather than any of the electronics -

Any tips for re-building?

Thanks

Steve

Final speakers have a bad reputation when it comes to panel-failure (efficiency drop).
Unfortunately many attempts to repair them result in only a temporarily solution. I hope you didnt spend much on them.

My rebuilds included fitting dust covers in order to extend the life of the diaphragm coating and prevent efficiency drop. Its a relatively simple job as the panel's design lends itself to this well. The dust covers can stuck onto the raw (white) panel edge with double sided tape, then fit a strip of adhesive tape wrapping round the edge from front to back going right round the perimeter of the panel - this makes it look very neat but adds enough grip to hold the dust cover firmly in position after it is heat shrunk - then slide the panel back into the frame before finally heat shrinking the dust covers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.