carbon black!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
antistatic vinyl polish
I have not found this in my shops here yet....An thanks to all for the great work on all the coatings....but i gess that some think the 6600 is a better one ...or just as good?

The vinyl polish look good...Dose it have to be Antistatic? ...Is the Antistatic what makes it work..... it looks like it may be ezer to get.

It takes a surprising amount of carbon black to make a coating that's conductive. The stuff is also known as acetylene black. If you can't find a source for a small to moderate amount, find a (gas) welder and a piece of sheet metal. Have him/her light the torch, but don't turn on the oxygen. Just play the yellow smokey flame under a piece of metal and you'll quickly get a huge deposit of carbon black. Scrape it off into a jar. This was the original manufacturing process. I've also made conductive coatings using a ground up drawing lead. It has to be the softest type, HB I think.

There are soluble dissipative Teflon like materials as well as solvents and adhesion promoters. There is PET, conductive in bulk... There is Teflon coated anti-static Kapton film, specifically designed to withstand corona in x-formers and such.
No doubt it would last more than 2 years, more likely 15...25
Why someone expects 11 years from home-brewed mix... (staff made by professional chemist does not fall in this category) Why some reputable KS company, for instance, is not using it...
Infamous bottom line
P.G. Wodehouse: 'Everything in life that's any fun, as somebody wisely observed, is either immoral, illegal or fattening...

Is this suitable?

KONTAKT 222 :: Anti-static 100, 200ml - Prevents stat. Charge

Here is what I found in Germany quiet reasonably priced, do you think it will be suitable?

Delivery condition :: about 0.7 g/cm3
Density at 20 ° C
Flash point: <0 ° C
Aerosol: 13 ° C
Bulk DIN 51 755
Coverage: 3m2 / 200 ml Spray
Spray brechnet: 14 m2 l /
Bulk
After drying of the solvent (for 15 - 30 min):
properties
Thermostability (evaporation loss)
colorless, fine-grained,
water
<5% / h at 220 ° C.
Surface resistance to crystal clear PVC film (DIN 53483, measuring voltage 10V)
beginning
: 2 ⋅ 10 ^ 6 Ω
after 3 days
: 2 ⋅ 10 ^ 6 Ω
after 83 days
: 46 ⋅ 10 ^ 6 Ω

Hi,

It will likely work but resistance values of 10^6-10^7 ohms square are not optimal to achieve constant charge operation causing increased THD. Better to search for coatings in the range of 10^8-10^10 ohms square, if available. Some antistatic coatings allow for surface resistance to be controlled either by diluting or applying very thin layer but this must be tested.

Regards,
Lukas.

Last edited:
Hi,

It will likely work but resistance values of 10^6-10^7 ohms square are not optimal to achieve constant charge operation causing increased THD. Better to search for coatings in the range of 10^8-10^10 ohms square, if available. Some antistatic coatings allow for surface resistance to be controlled either by diluting or applying very thin layer but this must be tested.

Regards,
Lukas.

Regarding carbon black: considerable loading is needed to achieve conductivity. Some claim to achieve conductivity by just adding some drops of black ink but without having measured the conductivity before adding these drops there is no evidence of any usuable effect.
The next problem of cb is that the exact resistance is difficult to control, its getting more and more difficult with higher resistance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.