Lotta money little result

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doesn't HV insulation have a limited lifetime? 30 years is about what I understand before random stuff starts breaking. Unless someone does a total rebuild and stands behind with a written warranty what can you do.

Sorry they drew the line in the sand.
I just know I would NOT trust those guys again!

hi y'all, haven't been able to log in here for quite some time but am still alive.
Have been in close contact with IAG, now owners of QUAD, in China.
They have contacted this TRANSTEC, in the Netherlands, telling them to work something out with me.
So I was told to make contact with Transtec again, they were expecting me to.
So I did send them another e-mail.
This was about my 12th or 13th attempt to propose an agreement to/with them.
Send it on the 8th of this month, today is the 17th....no reply or nothing yet...
Well anyway, nothing much happened in the time between my last visit here and today.
Set Quad and ESL is still working OK.
In a second-hand shop I bought a pair of VISONIK DAVID 50 speakers.
Real vintage 70s look and feel to them and the sound they give is fine !!
For such small boxes they have this high volume ! No need for a sub here.
Inside everything looks good too, rubbers are nice flexible.
All this for only 10 euro ! The pair !!!
I'm thinking of going to use them in my sauna cabin.
Anbody here can tell me what precautions I must take ?
Very high humidity and about 215 deg. Fahrenheit/100 deg. Celcius in there.
Maybe not a good idea at all ?

Glad to be back on the sit

TT

Last edited:
TonyT, your shop experience reminds me very much of when I purchased my 1977 Porsche 911 eight years ago. Which is why for the last seven years I've been doing all of my own repairs and maintenance.

Hang tough, you have some classic equipment which should prove to be very rewarding in the long run.

Remember, I still have that old Porsche.

Latest update:
Saturday 12-12-2010, I was in my kitchen while in the living room the music played (the Quad).
Suddenly I smelled this awful burning smell, as if plastic was burning !
When I went into the living room the smell was almost choking me.
I found the Quad 405 to be very very hot !! and one of the ESL was failing.
I disconected everything from A/C immediatly !!
Because the 405 was so hot I thought the problem was in there.
I took it to my garage.
Inside the house this penetrating smell was still there but since it was
late at night and everything was disconected I went to bed.
Next morning the smell was still there.
I went to the garage and opened the 405 but didn't find anything wrong or burned.
So I went vback inside and found the smell came from one of the ESL !!!!
The same one that has been giving prblems all the time (see my ESL story) !
Yes indeed, the one that was 'repaired' by this transtec-company for 2000 euro !!
I now call them 'TRASHTEC'.
Could this smell have been poisonous ??
Have I , inside all these Quad-troubles, been very lucky ?

Is this where the story ends ?
2000 euro lost, unimaginable stress, being insulted by both transtec as well
as by IAG and now here I am, with empty hands, Wallet and ears !

E-mail Quad again and inform them that the repairshop is not replying to your attempts to contact them. Also inform them of the unwillingness to work something out.
Tell them about the malfunction and point out that it occured AFTER they had been repaired/updated THREE times.

As for repairs... talk to the people on this board that do this kind of stuff and try to work something out that way?
Either as a pure repair or maybe you can run it as a project and learn how to do it yourself?

Good luck.

Quad is now owned by IAG and I have been in contact with them very, I mean VERY, often !!
They have shown the same atitude as the *ssholes who have done the 'repairs' (transtec/ESK in Holland).
The reaction is the same on both sides and nothing is to be expected from them.
Maybe a couple of handgranates and a flamethrower would help here ?!!
I am so sick and so tired from all this, "The Horror, The Horror".
It gives me so much stress that besides the poisonous fumes from the ESL, the whole ordeal is costing me years of my life.
The 2000 euro was in fact more than I could spend and now look what came from it all.
No I am very sorry but I am not going to approach any of those companies anymore.
There is still hope though; There are still humane people and some are willing to help me out.
Some with good advice (like you guys here) and some have offered to repair the set now in a right way and for a very reasonable price.

Thanx for your kindness all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.