Material for ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
usaly the power rating for resistors in preamp circuits using opamps can any where from 1/16 to 1/2 watt types. 1/4 being the norm very seldom anything bigger is used.but somtimes 1/2 or 1 watt types are somtimes used in power supply's and such.i like using 1/4 watt types because they fit breadboards better than 1/2watt ones and are easier to read than 1/16 or1/8 watt types.in the filter itself use the lowest percentage tolerence you can afford or get your hands on such as 1% or2% or you can hand select each one with a ohmmeter. last night i happend to find a variable crossover circuit i believe i saved it .if i find it i'll post the site for you.jer

that is what we are working on, thanks for letting me know the pics worked, now i can show detail about coating stators.
It is tax season for me working my, well you know off, I will post a few more pics of our store and maybe some funny things, thanks . Mav

some help needed by Tara, she makes you show up at work on time. This wast just for giggles, but she does work here, NICE.

Attachments

• Copy of P1030076.jpg
    Copy of P1030076.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 334
the beam splitter is what got my attention, emediataly, you cannot have have phase shift 180 degrees and expext a good result. That is why i went and leaned, if you can slplit the the 180 degree to 1/2 then corner load the rear stator, the dispesrsion is in no words incredibale. so i tried to post some pics.
That is what i want, the best sounding thing i have ever heard. Fills the room but does not **** off your neighbors, awsome.

my best description of mine will have the stator eclosure with two steel rods, like a head rest on your seats, so just like you mentioned, i will have multiple mounting distance and if i have to get to them(stator), simply unplug and remove it for service or adjustments. Let me see if i can post a pic of some material and if you or anyone can tell me if it will work as a stator.

Attachments

• P2040042.jpg
    P2040042.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 465
  • P2040041.jpg
    P2040041.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 432
  • P2040040.jpg
    P2040040.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 424
i had orginaly thought about using that same material but with smaller holes.i'll have to find my mcmaster carr catalog.i'm sure it would probaly work but might not be very effeciant due to the size of the holes.which is why opted for using window screen.the smaller holes give a more concentrated and uniform static field than the larger ones even though the open area is the same.i wanted to try wire cloth like the kind used for rabbit cages ,but i only could find 1/4" localy and at the time i was strapped for cash but mcmaster carr has some 1/8" and i would still like to try it someday.jer p.s.sorry for taking so long to reply but evry time i try to ,every one i know just has call me at the same time and talk forever!you know what i mean?

all i did was send it to my documents as a jpeg, waited a little, opened up my documents, went to my pictures and there it was, mine just showed the number that is under the picture, the one that you used your camera for, so i wrote it down, found it my pics and clicked on it, using windows xp. just try it, i could not any place here test it, so i visited the car audio site and just posted "test" kept trying differnt ways untill that worked, after it worked, just asked if anyone could open it and bam, there it is. I will try that sequence again( i am not computer savy, i am an idiot) but still try, since will only show numbers, left click, preview, and if thats it, enter. dun done

Attachments

• Copy of P1030076.jpg
    Copy of P1030076.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 387
thats a stat panel? please ellaborate, i have never seen ones small. By the way nice recording studio! what kind of output in i guess clarity and the other questions
>bias power supply
>step up transfomer, etc.
>material used for diaphram
that is neat, very neat.
i know plans are for a far larger panel, but something like that would be nice in tight spaces, can you think of any car audio apps? using 12-14.4 vdc?
Glad you could get your pics going, did the info i give help out any? gonna take a better look at those pics, Mav

no it's not,i went to take some pics of them earlier today to post,but the batteries in my camera were dead.so i just got home about 30 minutes ago and im taking them shortly.those are for headphones and they worked the frist time i tested them,i used an el34 output transformer with the supply at 475v and about 90v to 100v p-p across the stators ,.0001" (1/10mil)mylar was used,licron as the coating,.032"(32mil)spacing.don't have the proper drive for them yet as i am working on a direct drive amp for them, hoping to scale it up to drive bigger panels.but just holding it against my ear it sounded awesome ,sooooo clean and low low's with absolutly no distortion. even though i couldn't drive them hard it was quite loud enough to enjoy only i wished i had two of them for stereo, as i will soon.at first i thought there wasn't enough high end,mabey the open area is to small,but boosting the treble eq didn't do much either,it could have been because of the recording off of you tube(jimi at woodstock).i've been pretty busy lately i don't even get play with the 16-track it just sits there and looks pretty.sad isn't it,so sad!i thought you'd might like to see it anyway.the next pics are ones that would be perfect for tight spaces and all of them are designed to be taken apart and put back together again.i can't wait to show you.jer p.s. oh man i feel like a little kid again!i'm getting those pics right now, and i will post as soon as i can providing the phone doesn't start ringing again!

Hi Geraldfryjr.,

I am curious with your headphone stators. It seems like a good idea to use those to make the stators. But in order to make sound, you need to connect all those small holes together. How do you do that?

In one of my old threads, I have successfully made ESL headphones and a direct drive amp that goes together well. If you want to build the amp, it's should be a good starting point for you. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphones/132573-has-anybody-made-els-headphone.html

Wachara C.

i didn't.on the other (smooth) side i used aluminium duct tape,then poked and cleaned them all with a round toothpick.then i put some 2" clear tape on the aluminium to protect it and sprayed the other side with easy-off (sodium hydroxide)to disolve ant remianing burs in the holes.rinse with water ,carfully peel off the clear tape.wash and repolish with denatured alcohol .then mask off the conections and spray many coats of clear acrylic enamel then sand (on a glass plate with 600 grit or finer)and coat until smooth and flat.i'll take it apart and do some pics to show you. jer p.s. somtimes when spraying ,some of the holes would plug up so i would just use a toothpick to unplug them(when stil wet ofcorse).it was easy but required alot of patience!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.