Aluminum Magnet (Winding) Wire source - retail?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, all...
I need help to locate a retail source for alum. magnet wire.
Time to make new coils for my Magnepan T-1D's and 1-B bass panels.

Thank you.
P.S. what about a sticky thread of sources say at the top of this forum group?
:)

Last edited:
Have you tried Magnepan? If a Google search doesn't turn up something, you could try to find a local transformer winding or repair company. Many of the manufacturers will send samples if requested.
Yes, Magnepan will sell kits to rebuild them. $50.00 per kit (2 panels per kit). For me this means 8 panels (4@ T-1D and 4@ T-1B) + $475.00 ea for the tweeter panels.
So I still would like to locate a source to buy the wire on a commercial spool instead of the "custom you just get enough so do not screw it up" Magnepan kit!

I will check several motor rewind shops (indeed I used to work for one 25+ years ago).
-----snip from my (amp. tubes& valves) other forum posting -----------
23-22awg. I do not yet know what the tweeter wire ga. is.
I may convert to Cu wire but will need to calc. the differences in resistivity and mass so as to not disturb the panel tuning (natural panel freq.).
But, the simplest is of course to replace same with ......
-------------\end snip\----------------------------------

My hope was someone knew a retail friendly source. Most rewind shops use much more Cu than Al magnet wire... though.

Well...back to lurker mode:)

Attachments

• 00020.a.jpg
    00020.a.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 00023.a.jpg
    00023.a.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 00024.a.jpg
    00024.a.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 00025.a.jpg
    00025.a.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 191
Yes, Magnepan will sell kits to rebuild them. $50.00 per kit (2 panels per kit). For me this means 8 panels (4@ T-1D and 4@ T-1B) + $475.00 ea for the tweeter panels.

I do not yet know what the tweeter wire ga is.

I may convert to Cu wire but will need to calc. the differences in resistivity and mass so as to not disturb the panel tuning (natural panel freq.).

I suspect T-1 tweeter wires are the same wires used with other models (and my IIIa mids) - 31g. But Magnepan will tell you, if you ask them.

I would suggest you should not change to Cu wire as it will:
a) have a much lower resistance than the same length of same-guage Al wire ... and this change in resistance will change the XO frequency, and
b) will be heavier.

Regards,

Andy

free aluminum magnet wire

I have found a lot of aluminum magnet wire in TVs. There is a very large coil wrapped around the CRT for degaussing purposes. Its one single wire. Various gauges and lengths are in different TVs. What I have found is: the larger the CRT, the bigger the gauge, length of wire and number of wraps.

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!

CRT RESIDUAL CHARGES CAN KILL YOU!!!!!

DO THE REQUIRED 'DISCHARGE A CRT' RESEARCH BEFORE HAND

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.