Elvamide experience or tips?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have done some tests with a sponge etc but I have not got the results I wanted! :mad:

Perhaps a air brush if the Nylon does not clog up the nozzle!?

Are you using pure Elvamide or have you doped it ?

/R
My experience says that alcohol based Nylon can be easily removed by the paper towel. It would be fair to note that I have not burnt it in with heat gun as usually recommended. Result is haisy looking coating...
Alex

Actualy I did not get as far as to test the coating in my test stators.
The Elvamide did not stick to the Mylar in a way I was hoping for - you could "roll it off" with your fingers! (did not heat treat the Mylar!)
Also I did not manage to get a uniform coating either, so I put the Nylon aside and used a premade coating(MT-Audio).
I have over 1kg off Elvamide in my lab, so I'll certanly give it another try someday!

/R

Hi,

here a advice from Steve (One Thing Audio):

"If the diaphragm is first washed in soapy water and then allowed to dry (before applying the Elvamide – an old Quad trick) it might work reasonably well."

Harry
It has been noted multiple times that mylar has to be thoroughly degreased - acetone - isopropyl alcohol. Surface has to be activated threafter - corona discharge or chemicals (washing soda is the safest).
Even Nylon in alcohol/phenol will not adhere if not heat treated after application - Nylon's melting point is lower than the mylar's one.
Alex

Hi,

I have created a batch of Elvamide solution an was a bit surprised to see the result.

I measured 7.9 grams of Elvamide to 1dl of denaturated alcohol 98% and mixed for 50 minutes at 60 deg c (Used a milk foamer/frother worked perfectly)

The result was a sligthly pink fluid as the denaturated alcohol is coloured with a red/pink colour

But, the next morning the substance had turned into a pink jello/soapy substanse which is not liquid anymore.

Is this normal? I guess i need to dilute the "goo" before usage but was not expecting this pink "jam"

Regards

Bent

Attachments

• Cold.jpg
    Cold.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 248
  • hot.jpg
    hot.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 237
I can't say whether it's normal or not, but I had a similar experience. As I recall, I didn't have much trouble getting things back into solution once I warmed it up a bit. I expect that you could also dilute the solution to keep it out of the gel stage, but I haven't done any resistivity measurements so I can't say whether a more dilute solution would work well.
Few

Hi,

I have created a batch of Elvamide solution an was a bit surprised to see the result.

I measured 7.9 grams of Elvamide to 1dl of denaturated alcohol 98% and mixed for 50 minutes at 60 deg c (Used a milk foamer/frother worked perfectly)

The result was a sligthly pink fluid as the denaturated alcohol is coloured with a red/pink colour

But, the next morning the substance had turned into a pink jello/soapy substanse which is not liquid anymore.

Is this normal? I guess i need to dilute the "goo" before usage but was not expecting this pink "jam"

Regards

Bent

If you look at http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/assets/downloads/processing/302061a.pdf
you will find gel time specs - which means is ought to go to the gel state.
Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.