used magnepans - eh?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about picking up some used magnepan SMGa's for $300. These will be my first (bought) pair of high-end-ish speakers.

What sort of wear and tear problems should I look out for? Are they less reliable than standard box speakers?

The other thing that I'm worried about is the need for a sub. I know there are relatively inexpensive powered subs (audioengine makes one, dayton makes a few), but how much will they degrade the low-to-mid bass transition?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
$300 is a bit high. If no problems and in great shape, I would go for it.

Listen to them first. A bass or tweeter buzz means the voice coil wires have de-laminated and not a difficult fix. If the tweeter panel is dead, you may have to rewire them, again, not a big fix. You can order the glue (Miloxane) and replacement tweeter or bass panel wire from Magnepan for under $30 (I think). I have successfully used Copper Magnet wire from Rat Shack (30 ga?) to rewire tweeter panels.

What you do NOT want is a ripped mylar diaphragm. That you can fix (I have done it) but it never sounds quite right. Basically scotch taping the hole shut. I wouldn't bother with it again. You can feel around the panel and feel if there is a hole (one side is mylar and the other is perforated metal). You could always send them back to Magnepan to re-mylar and re-wire, but then your talking tall bucks and would not be worth it unless you get them for less than $100.

Google "Peter Gunn Magnepan Rewire" and you will see his site on how much work the rewire is. Again, you may be fine, but these speakers are probably vintage (1980's) and the miloxane glue come undone after so many years. Direct sunlight does horrible things to Magnepan speakers BTW...

I would not yet worry about the sub until you check them out. The SMGa I had had more than enough bass.

Last edited:
What sort of wear and tear problems should I look out for? Are they less reliable than standard box speakers?

The other thing that I'm worried about is the need for a sub. I know there are relatively inexpensive powered subs (audioengine makes one, dayton makes a few), but how much will they degrade the low-to-mid bass transition?

Magnepans are wire glued to a sheet of mylar and the glue sometimes (some might say commonly) fails, conceivably the diaphragms could be torn or damaged in other ways as well. There are DIY instructions on the internet.
For the amount you are spending, I'd look at factory direct MMG's for ~$550.

Subs are more about how you cross them over and where you place them than about driver size or "speed". If it doesn't sound right, tweek the xo or try a different position.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.