My speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Jonas,
You've obviously put a lot of thought into your design. I think your modular design and magnetic tape are really nice innovations. A few questions: I don't see any woofers-- are you running the esl's full range? What kind of tranny's? Bias voltage?
And most important: How do they sound?

Anyway-- GREAT JOB!!

Charlie

Thanks for the compliments!

Today I use a B&G Neo3 planar dipole tweeter for the top end. This allows me to drive the Esl with ten cheap ordinary, 220/9 Vac, 40x40 mm, encapsulated, circuit board power transformers up to appr. 5 kHz.

The transformer primaries are in parallel, their secondary in series.

The bias voltage is obtained by connecting a seven step high voltage ladder to the balanced output of the drive transformers via two 1,5 MOhm 2 watt resistors.

The input of the step up ladder is protected from voltage transients by a 220 Vac varistor. The output is connected to the front metal frame via six 10 MOhm resistors and three 1N4007 rectifier diodes in series. These rectifier diodes
are important as they keep the speaker charged when music passages temporarily become lower.

I've tested a number of sub and woofer configs, always ending not using them. The sound reminds of Audiostatic.

I am very impressed too,

especially because of the solutions you have found to adress
problems in conventional systems.

What i like most is the "resonance frequency adjuster".

Works much like tensioning a drumhead. Do you think you can
compensate a downshift in resonance frequency, when tension
goes down over the years ?

Have you observed any shift until now ?

Kind regards

Hi Jonas,
I think your magnet strip spacers are the best thing since sliced bread and would like to use them on my next ESL build. I'm interested to know what type magnets you used and how you bonded them to your stators and whatever else you can share. McMaster-Carr sells a variety of ferrite/rubber flex-magnet strips, some with adhesive backing, different grades of holding power, some with magnetic hold on one surface only, etc...
Please have a look and advise if these type strips would work and if you have any recommendations: McMaster-Carr
thanks,
Charlie

Hi, Charlie,

Are the speakers full range, you can use the 1/8 thick, 1/2 width, extra pull # 5769K62
If not, use 1/16 thick, 1/2 width extra pull. 5769K61. You do not need to put the tape in the same pattern I did, there´s much room for experiments. For instance, if you build a mid/high tone speaker, you can distribute small islands of flex mag tape 3-5 inch away from each other.
When taping the magnets, do it first on one of the stators. Then attatch the magnets intended for the other stator on these taped magnets, and then tape the second stator on top of it all...good luck!

will the step up transfomers i purchased work with set up? they are from newark, out put current T:2.5 amp, voltage:6 V, supply will be 230v but i am using two per stator for 120v input, shows secondondary as 0-6volt. thats whats on the package.
i have been curious about diffent spacing on the planers, so??? can you you use one stat to play high, mid , as well as low at or around 500hz? or just make one big panel and isolate the diagphram in key location to achieve the sound quality. I am a little confused as i cannot see any pics.
still working here on getting material, it is that everyone has a great idea. nothing wrong at all with that. just want the same sound Charlie has with his ESL, Like you said, there is nothing like it.
plaese stay with me as I am still learning.
kind regards. Mavric
by the way, those look awesome. and then some, wish i could hear them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.