Speaker drivers based on magnetostriction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nikolas

I am the Web Developer who built the website (so perhaps slightly biased). But I did get to hear these drives being used at www.studioav.co.uk
Unfortunately I am not an Audiophile so cannot really provide a lot of input regarding the sound quality except by association.

In one room the drives are used as HiFi - Home Cinema where the front speakers are wall panels (not sure of the material) and the rear speakers are artworks in wooden frames. The FeONIC Subwoofer is a another Magnetostriction drive and sits in a cupboard. No wires - no speaker boxes.

StudioAV's main demo room contained hugely expensive kit (multiples of £10K's) and they had FeONIC on test in another room adjacent to that. Playing the Beatles I recall.

Make of that what you will.

The Downloads page includes the Specifications for the F1.3 drive and Subwoofer. That may help you get a feel for the performance.
FeONIC have come a long way from the Soundbug.

Cheers

tritosine

Thankyou for taking the effort to report a problem - and apologies for the off topic for everyone else.

The links work for me - from the Whispering Windows Product page.
Where did you link from? May have been a one off server glitch?

Perhaps you can email me direct to avoid cluttering up the board.

Cheers

Mapper

Hi,

i remember an article about an inventor from france.

AFAIR he build a globe shaped surface from a magnetostrictive

metal - nickel ? some alloy ? - and applied an oscillating magnetic

field to the structure. Since nickel can only shrink in the magnetic

field - independent from field polarity - he had to apply a bias to

reproduce sinusoidal signals without distorsion.

Could be more than 20 Years ago ... would be interesting

to find some information on his approach.

Youtube and Facebook

Hi,

FeONIC have added a Youtube channel and a Facebook page. Subscribe to the channel and become a fan of the page to keep up to date.

FeONIC Invisible Speakers on Youtube

See the neat 3d animation for an overview of the technology as compared to traditional cone speakers. Hope it doesn't start a Flame War... ;-)

FeONIC | Facebook

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for that, panomaniac. I assume you are referring to FeONIC: Invisible Speakers, Public Address, Marine Speakers, Flat Panel Speakers, Sound Zones

Feedback about websites is a rare thing. I worry constantly about the speed. The novel navigation approach makes for a very big site. But as you are in the US the site will be quicker than here over the pond (hosted by Webfaction with Texas based servers).

Are you near any big cities? I'll try and find out if there are any F-Drives nearby. A long shot but worth a try.

I have listened to the drives in a Home Cinema setup. Weird to look at a wall and floor producing good quality sound with not a box or a wire in sight. And importantly the excursion is much lower than other hidden speaker solutions so no risk of shaking the plaster off the walls.

Cheers

Panomaniac

Sorry, I meant to get back to you on this. I checked with FeONIC but they don't have any resellers near you just now. In fact I'm not sure they have any resellers in the States - I may be wrong. Best thing to do is to email them - details on Contact page of website.

Another effective use for their Audio Drives is for Outdoor speakers for Decks. The drives are IP55 and can be made IP67 if required. They sent me a short video of the drives being used on a deck - I'm not sure when they are going to put it on their Youtube channel (see the links a couple of posts up). It shows the drives driving the planks of the deck itself creating a more immersive sound. So not too loud for people sitting next a conventional speaker (usually 'disguised' as a plastic rock with a grill on the front) or too quiet for those sitting furthest away. The volume can be 'just right' for all. That's the idea.

Becoming a fan on their FeONICTechnology Facebook page is a good way to keep uptodate (link 3 posts up).

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.