ESS AMT 1 A (B, C, D, E) Monitor into ESS AMT 3 Rock Monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair AMT 1 B (1979) and a pair of AMT 1 E Monitors (1994)
The crossover frequency is set at 1000Hz.
They are both good speakers, however I am convinced that this XO frequency is too low.
I have recently done some experiments with a wide band speaker allowing me to cut of at 1500Hz and it was much better.
The Heil is not so good around 1000Hz, voices sound a bit "nosy".
Further issue with those AMTs, the bass lacks firmness.

All this to say that looking back at what an AMT 3 was, it seems to me that it must have been a better speaker:
- 2x 25 cm / 10 inch woofers Bass reflex (better than 1x 30cm / 12 inch + passive)
- 1x 15.4 cm / 6 inch medium
- 1 AMT
The crossover frequencies were I believe 250Hz, 1000Hz.

From what I could see the cabinets for the AMT 1 Monitors and the AMT 3 Rock Monitors are the same. The only difference is the front panel.

Nobody has been tempted to transform his AMT 1 Monitors in AMT 3?

In this case I think we should look at a Medium/tweeter crossover ~1500Hz.
What drivers could be used for the Medium and the bass. They should be light/fast.

I saw that la maison du Haut parleur in their kit use a very light paper woofer.
http://www.lamaisonduhautparleur.com/kit-albedo.php

"I saw that la maison du Haut parleur in their kit use a very light paper woofer.
http://www.lamaisonduhautparleur.com/kit-albedo.php "

So what is the translation for the French on the very light paper woofer
( for those of us not fluent in any language :) )and how much are they?

I have a pair of AMT3 empty boxes and would like to find mids and bass drivers fast enough to be a fairlly good match for the AMT.

Wonder how it would sound to just add a midrange in a box to the Monitors and move the AMT above that angled down ( instead of angled up as on some of the other shorter models.) ?

Using an active xover would possibly help resolve xover frequency design complications and problems.

Thanks très bon

The AudioDynamique driver (AD 31 TPA 12 G) seems to go for 300 Euros ($400 with tax inc.)
MHP (la Maison du Haut-Parleur) : concepteur français de kits d'enceintes pour la HI-FI et le Home Cinéma...
As for the translation, google's done a descent job :)
Google Translate

cdfr THANKS FOR THE EDUCATION! YES IT WORKS QUITE WELL :D
(wow 400usd - thats more than they get for the new AMT's! Are they really that FAST as to keep up with the AMT's?:confused: Lot of money but it might be worth it to get the bottom end up to acceptable!

I HAVE ben tempeted to convert a pair of 1am 'S TO 3'S .
I am looking for the best suited 6.5 and 10in drivers- both for replacement drivers on the 3's and to convert the 1am Towers as well as 12in drivers fast enough for replacements in the 1am.
(and the time- anybody have any extra round tuits? )
Any one have some good candidates?

A old thread I know-OCS reccomend the Eminence 1040SF, @ $79 it is a bargin compared to $400. I great speaker, sensitive with a 9mm XMAX!
I have done one of my 4 AMT3's with good success. Highly recommended, and will get rid of the "warm" or muddy tendency of the stock ESS woofers
Your other option is to recharge your old woofers, and possbily reconing.
The main culprit with the ESS woofers is losing output realitive to the Heil, and transition driver, which can through things out of wack a bit.
Beef up your baffle if you are going to use the 1040SF's, as they are heavier. Some Expxy glue applied to the woofer sealing/mating surface on the baffle does the trick, and PArts Express t-nuts, and gasket tape will complete the job.
Effective sealing the woofers makes a big difference along with using all the installed dampening material.
One of the best vintage speakers out there, and whne updated right will blow away 90+% of the current speakers out there OMHO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.