(sub)woofer for esl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to build a hybrid speaker. I have however very little experience with the choosing of a woofer chassis. What are the main things i should look at? what would be the best complement to an esl speaker?

I did a lot of reading and it seems that a horn loaded woofer would come closest in respect to the characteristics of a esl. The theory supporting this makes an analogy with the old grammaphone. Where the vibration of the needle (very little) is amplified by the horn. Taking this analogy, it means that a woofer doesn't have to have a high amplitude, meaning that the mass of the cone will have less influence on the driving of the sound.

But this is only a theory. I've also seen some papers on Motional FeedBack. In which the feedback a speaker generates is measured and put back into the input of the speaker... but that scheme seems a bit complex for me to build (i havn't read it in detail though.

But first things first. What is a good chassis to use to complement a ESL speaker? And what kind of speaker design would be usefull?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Mating subs with ESL has to the best of my knowledge always been a problem

As I recall Gradient were among the first to achieve good result, with their big dipole subs

Just made a thread with this idea
A huge "membrane" coupled to any number of woofers
Membrane might even be simple polystyrene, hung in threads in a frame

Attachments

• BIG WOOFER.JPG
    BIG WOOFER.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 127
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You don't know the physical width or height of the woofer box you need nor crossover frequency for starters. But once the ESL is completed, the bass unit is made to suit. And if you decide making the ESL is too difficult (It might happen even to you.), you didn't waste time making a woofer box.

You don't know the physical width or height of the woofer box you need nor crossover frequency for starters. But once the ESL is completed, the bass unit is made to suit. And if you decide making the ESL is too difficult (It might happen even to you.), you didn't waste time making a woofer box.

i want to that looks a bit like this. It's esthetically pleasing and it's a dipool

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.