poor man's magneplanar tweeters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As an owner of a pair of Magnaplaner model SMG-C's I would like to make a suggestion.
In less than a week after purchase the left channel Hi Freq. section burned out.
Turned out that the Audio retailer had replaced the 4 amp fuse with a slo blow version.
Fortunately, the factory took responsibility and re-built at no cost to me.
In your post I see no indication of any current sensing protection.
To determine what value fuse would be needed you might attach a thermocouple temp sensor with tape to the Mylar, inject a 100 hz sine-wave through a current meter into the panel and gradually increase the amplitude until the temp begins to increase and note the current at that point. Installing a fuse with a value about 20% lower than the max. current read under test should protect your panels.

that is a good idea, but for now im looking for the right sound and a good manner to produce the same panels over and over.

im trying to make one big mid high panel, and wil post pictures of procces so everybody can take a look. and maybe have suggestions.

the previous pannels i used with a woofer of 87 db with active crossove, both panels on each side in series, has around 3.3 Ogm DC wich will roughly be 3.3 x 1.3 4.3 ohm so around the 4.
they if want to let them blend with my woofers i have to put them back 4 dB so that means efficiency is quit good.

This is why I (and others) have always stressed for members to upload the pictures to the forum!!!

The are many great threads that are now with out pictures that I once used to see before!!!

I am sorry to hear that you are without a backup now as I do remember this Great thread. :(

jer :)

Last edited:
This is why I (and others) have always stressed for members to upload the pictures to the forum!!!

The are many great threads that are now with out pictures that I once used to see before!!!

I am sorry to hear that you are without a backup now as I do remember this Great thread. :(

well i think it was not pissible back then? because i dont like to upload to other server and copy links and stuff, or i just failed to read it WAS possible :) i will take a look if i can find some of the pictures. but i i must admit i learned allot in the years so if i did make something like this now it would look diferent.

Ya, What irritated me the most is when Google dumped the info on their servers in to what is now called the Wayback machine.
That system is a piece of crap too, Lost a great info was lost with that one as well.

Back before that happened(2003-5) I used to save complete web pages of stuff and some of them I had stored on Cd's.
But a lot of those and the hard drives are now gone not to mention a couple of them that had crashed and are now useless. :(

:( i could not find any photo's,, well it was not rocket sience :) it whas exactly a magnepan driver except my panets came from hardware store and the metal palte as well :) never fijnished a final product with it.

later on i founf an adres where i could get precut 3 mm width alu tape wich improved allot(work) abut still keeping resonances of the foil in the higher frequencys whas hard without increasing wieght like magnepan does.

i think esl's are a bit more forgiven. although bit more expensive maybe

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.