Help, Audiostatic ES-100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Schematic is wrong!

Hi MJ and other members,

The schematic is not correct in the Step-up X-former connection of the primary windings.

This has to be connected in parallel and not in series!

And specially for MJ in dutch: Til daar niet te zwaar aan, het klopt allemaal, het is wel anders getekend maar electrisch klopt het volkomen.

Translation: it's OK like that, electrically it's correct even though it seem to be wrong on the drawing!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Edit: Mr. Fikier is not all knowing even though I respect the guy !
And please correct me if I'm wrong! The 12 micron was designed/made for the US and not for Europe!

people please, the guy who started the thread still does not know what to do with the coating, he never asked about the schematic :) also i want to know what to do with the coating :)

is its dottert is there a coating used in the proces ? if not then only cleaning and maybe new copper tape around the membrane to connect the HS should do the trick? or am i way off. got a pair as well that need refurb

Hello all, i see this discussion is fro several years ago, but i have a question about the schematics found here of the es50.

How does this compare to the es100, or even the esh100 (hybrit ).

This because i just bought a set of not working esh100's and when i open them up, the electronics were different in de 2 speakers , and i think i will have to rebuild the high voltage parts at least, and after that i hopefully can tell if the film is still ok.

They look undamaged but since there is no Voltage going in no way of telling if they are still working.

Also does anybody know if this model can also be converted to full range like the regular es100, or are those completely different speakers ?

Thanks

Audiostatic ES-400 Distorting

Hi Folks
I have just picked up a pair of faulty ES-400 Audiostatics from Ebay. Having fixed a couple of ES-100 in the past was taking a gamble it was going to be an electronics problem in their bases but not so it seems.
After inspecting them I have found I have a panel which distorts very badly sounding exactly like I have just turned off the power to an amplifier.It plays almost as loud as the good one. Its not the electronics as I have swapped them round ,the working panel sounds fine. There is a pretty heavy coating of grot on the panel but the membrane shows no damage at all.
Before I go and do something I regret to them does anybody have a clue whats going wrong? I have read about washing MLs but not at all sure of the best plan for these...
Cheers and thanks in advance.
Ian

Hi....I done work for years... re-working ML panel...Not diying new esl...Not my thing...I think the works been done...an used panels, there so inexpensive now.....an NO good coating...laycron works thay say??
I pic up a pr ES-100 Audiostatics ..Look great..thay worket ...well sound came out of the 2 speakers....never sounded right...then one panels got funky...
Only thing I could come up with....that was not right about the panels...the Wire gets cracks in the rubber like coating....this let the votage leak to the mylar that has bias V ....an there not a ezey fix..

Its only Money....your money,but I would sale move on to other esls
All just one mans findings....good luck

Hi....I done work for years... re-working ML panel...Not diying new esl...Not my thing...I think the works been done...an used panels, there so inexpensive now.....an NO good coating...laycron works thay say??
I pic up a pr ES-100 Audiostatics ..Look great..thay worket ...well sound came out of the 2 speakers....never sounded right...then one panels got funky...
Only thing I could come up with....that was not right about the panels...the Wire gets cracks in the rubber like coating....this let the votage leak to the mylar that has bias V ....an there not a ezey fix..

Its only Money....your money,but I would sale move on to other esls
All just one mans findings....good luck

In my opinion the stators of audiostatics are one of the most reliable you can get. Thick PVC insulated wires; I have never noticed any crackling of this PVC material nor did I find one of them to be poorly insulating. Well, only once because a previous owner damaged the wire while messing with the electrical segmentation. Although they may suffer from several issues (like other old second hand ESLs) they seem to be a rather safe refurbishing project. All ES models have the same segmentation.

But can you tell us what one small crack in the wires insulation, would do to the sound?...
How would a diyer... go about finding the crack if you could not see it even in the dark?....
An get to it too fix ?.....with out pulling the speakers apart?
I have only seen 3pr Audiosats.... only owned one pr of the 100s....but on all of them the top an bottom... were the wire bins to run up an down....there were minny cracks in the insulation in the bind.... an you could see wire inside...
I like the look...killer ...as good as ESl get...well to me..

But as with the Martin logan panels if there is a pin hole in the front or back stater....an it burns in the mylar...the panel lose output an you cant get it back....even if you can find it in the dark..from the spark..
just saying...

Funny Jim Strickland Acoustat full rang panels .... used PVC insulation on his wires...over 30 years....never seen one panel stop working from any wire leek, damage...but I have only had 40-50ea Acoustat panels...

But I seen a LOT of Audiostats....that look like show room stock.. stop working an some-most cant be fixet...well buy Diy guys an gales..........

just one mans finding

But can you tell us what one small crack in the wires insulation, would do to the sound?...
How would a diyer... go about finding the crack if you could not see it even in the dark?....
An get to it too fix ?.....with out pulling the speakers apart?
I have only seen 3pr Audiosats.... only owned one pr of the 100s....but on all of them the top an bottom... were the wire bins to run up an down....there were minny cracks in the insulation in the bind.... an you could see wire inside...
I like the look...killer ...as good as ESl get...well to me..

But as with the Martin logan panels if there is a pin hole in the front or back stater....an it burns in the mylar...the panel lose output an you cant get it back....even if you can find it in the dark..from the spark..
just saying...

Funny Jim Strickland Acoustat full rang panels .... used PVC insulation on his wires...over 30 years....never seen one panel stop working from any wire leek, damage...but I have only had 40-50ea Acoustat panels...

But I seen a LOT of Audiostats....that look like show room stock.. stop working an some-most cant be fixet...well buy Diy guys an gales..........

just one mans finding

Even if the wires would show cracks at the point where they make a strong turn that wouldnt harm because it is not anywhere near the high voltage parts.
I agree that poor insulation is a a tough situation to deal with as a diy. I remember that old panels of the brand final were tricky in this respect.
I use a nenon oscillator at the output of the high voltage. I guess a poorly insulated panel would show rapid blinking of the neonlight. Maybe someone here has a better testing procedure.

Thanks for any an all input on getting ESL panels an interfaces-bias V to work better....realy...
As for this one mans ears, an the nenon oscillator ....For poorly insulated panels...leeking...bias... would show rapid blinking of the neonligh.....

I never have needed any lite..drive me nuts...,....to tell me my ESL panels leeks!
I get it....Quad showed us all about this in the 1950s....but I see this as a wast....why....
My Quad 57s red neon flashed all the time...but the speakers still palyed....I Just don't get how it make it better for me-you-anyone.. to see theres leeky panels.....
But I am just one guy...
So have fun...an Diy for ever...an good luck with the Audiostatic...thay look great.... just not for me.....life just to short...

Well, folks. I am the guy who now owns the ES400's previously mentioned.

I found that the mylar on teh duff one is very perforated, (although in fairness to Ian I didn't spot it myself, a collgue who has more experince showed me. In due course, (maybe months, I have a backlog of ESL63 rebuilds to do first), and this will be physically BIG task requring a large clear working area..

What has piqued my curiosity, is how quiet the "good one" is!

I'm hoping the other one also turns out to be stuffed (although it sounds OK), because if I refurb them and they are still as quiet with the amplifiers I have at my disposal, (Quad 405's and other similar ~100WPC amplifiers) they won't be staying long with me.

Are there any resources I can access to tell me how much power they are supposed to eat, and how many db's that power should produce?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.