Space Bags

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is vacuum the way to go?

I use vacuum bags at my workplace to compact and cure composite materials and I feel the need to caution you that vacuum bags can generate a HUGE force.

If you decide to use a vacuum bag you will need to regulate and limit the vacuum to prevent applying potentially damaging force to your stator sandwich.

I think you don't need much pressure (beyond contact force) to compress the glueline anyway-- nor would you want to apply pressure anywhere except over the glueline; whereas, a vacuum bag would apply potentially huge force (depending on applied vacuum) over the entire surface of the stator panel.

For example: If your stator panel is 4 square feet and you apply just 1/2 vacuum (15" Hg) to the bag, the total force would exceed 4,000 pounds (full vacuum would yeild twice that). That much force would easily deflect the stators into contact between the spacers; pinching the diaphragm and maybe even permanently bending/dishing the stators (between spacers).

Hope this helps :)

Charlie

Hi,

I agree with CharlieM. You only want pressure right at the glue joint. But You need it only for the one stator to which You glue the membrane. Its not neccessary to glue the second stator to the first. You can though, but with a sufficciently large contact area (glueline area ?) and the right glue a second glue joint is optional. ML for example used to fixed the second stator (front stator) just at the top and bottom of the panles. This makes dissassembling and servicing easier. Since this is probabely Your first major ESL project the chance (or wish) to dissassemble the panel is rather high.
Taping the two stator-halves together and constructing the speaker frame in a way that it puts slight pressure on the panel (self adjusting or -fixing) will spare You many curses later ;)

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.