Peter Dicks and DDD Wave Converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't think so Jan...

to the best of my recolection the Manger is a bending wave device. I do know that Manger approached Highwood Audio because our patent was in his way at the time. My old partner Paul once discribed this as a hornless horn loaded speaker. He was referring to the traveling wave in the diaphragm acting akin to a wave guide. It is a very interesting idea but it takes a lot of work to make the pony do its trick. you can look at US 4, 924, 504.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: There is another way of doing this....

moray james said:
ues a standard voice coil and magnet assembly (best to eliminate the spider though). Connect the top of the voice coil to a tensioned plastic diaphragm install some form of dust cap. Now when you pulse the diaphragm a wave front is set in motion forward from the dust cap while at the same time the voice coil imparts a annular wave form which spreads out across the plastic diaphragm. The leading edges of theses two acoustical events are linked and in sink with each other. The end result is a spherical (reasonable fax) wavefront generated from a flat plastic diaphragm. It is the old ripple in a pond. Works like a charm if you juggle it properly. If any one wants to complain that it could not can not will not work because of so many reasons then explain how that german blathaller jig is selling for silly money. Give it a try before you say it wont because it will.

Moray,

Isn't this essentially the same tech you guys developed for the flat-panel speaker?

dave

Some 25 years ago I read an university thesis on a travelling wave loudspeaker. It was composed of a flat honeycomb structure excited by voice coils at the left and right edges (in stereo). I was said the acoustic waves were travelling in lateral direction across the length of the radiator (left and right channel in opposite direction), and radiated from the whole surface at a defined angle (not perpendicular). There was some dampening at the edges to absorb the waves at the end of their travel. Does the Wave Converter work on a similar principle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.