Myro AMT Heaven's Gate?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• p_heavens_gate_einzeln.jpg
    p_heavens_gate_einzeln.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 377
The mention of AMT caught my attention. Why you would need three of them in a vertical array is a bit hard to understand when one alone is acoustically over size in the vertical dimension. They seem to value time aligning the drivers, which is also a bit hard to understand when the D'Appolito array takes care of pointing the major lobe forward. Perhaps a German speaking person could help explain a few aspects.

Keith Taylor

Myro AMT Heavens Gate

I looked at their website. An expensive speaker containing lots of expensive drivers. The usual boastful blarney. They did not exhibit at last May's Munich Hifi fair. Therefore I could not hear this speaker.

To me the product looks like a glorified home brew. I would be very cautious.

originally posted by Pinco Pallino

I looked at their website. An expensive speaker containing lots of expensive drivers. The usual boastful blarney. They did not exhibit at last May's Munich Hifi fair. Therefore I could not hear this speaker.

To me the product looks like a glorified home brew. I would be very cautious.

I´m also always suspicious when multi-k$ speakers claim to reach audio heaven.

Indeed many so called high-end speakers seem only to be a random conglomerate of boutique parts dressed into a noble or eyecatching appearance for the only sake to be expensive.

But hey, this Myro`s really appear to be a very serious and well thought out and implemented concept and not anything only remotely similar to in that context snidely used phrase "home-brew" (BTW: I first saw about Myro speakers from the link in the very first post, I`m not in any way related to Myro).
It`s likely way overprized as are all the supposed "Überspeakers".
Nevertheless and despite the usual marketing babble, to me the concept and choice of drivers appear interesting to say the least. I`d really like to hear those Heaven's Gates and I`m usually not impressed only because it sticks a huge price tag on it.

Regarding the 3 AMT drivers, my guess why 3 are used.

First:
I`m pretty sure not all the AMTs run in parallel in the same frequency range. Only the center AMT will do the high frequency range (on the Myro website they only say the 3 AMTs are "driven different").

Second:
This is supposed to be a phase-linear speaker design (they claim to do square-waves pretty good).
So there must have been some sort of low order (6dB?) crossovers implemented.
With the usual crossover frequency for an AMT of around 1,3khz this would be hardly feasible in particular for a speaker that should
not distort when it`s getting loud - and I guess this speaker is supposed to do impressive (and clean) sound levels.

Neither would a gentle crossover slope at a relatively high crossover point be a good choice with those SEAS midranges with magnesium cones due to cone break-up resonances.

Hence the 2 additional AMTs around the center one are probably only there to increase diaphragm area and to be able to lower the crossover point while getting away with low(er)-order crossovers at the same time.
Look at this as one BIG AMT where only the center section emits the high frequency range.

P.S.. This site is ALL about "home-brew" and I`m sure that some of the designs of the more experienced members here can keep up with and exceed the very best of the commercial stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.