ESL Diaphragm coating

Is elvamide real PITA to dissolve into ethanol, am I doing something wrong?

I bought the Elvamide from here: Electrostatic Speaker Conductive Coating Elvamide 120g | eBay

That stuff is crap and I doubt it is Elvamide at all. I bought the exact same stuff. I made an electric motor stir device and did mine for 4 hours and zero of it dissolved

I should add though, the seller is first rate and refunded me the cost.

Last edited:
The stuff I got was NFG. I followed the instructions for solvent and heat with automated stirring and after 4 hours no change.
DUH!!!???? :smash:

Elvamide is filed under "thread bonding" on the official web site... Go to craftman's store and buy some. Below is posted picture for one of the brands. Look at the bottom right corner. What do you read? Right! "100% Polyamide". 3 micron layer on 1 sq meter contains 3 milliliters of nylon OR about 3 grams. This won't make you broke...
DO not wanna buy? Try to nag from the address on Dupont Canada web site
And Read This Fine Manual about the solvents: http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/assets/downloads/processing/302061a.pdf

Attachments

• xprd80310_z.jpg
    xprd80310_z.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 654
  • 31rQwCvyOpL.jpg
    31rQwCvyOpL.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
That stuff is crap and I doubt it is Elvamide at all. I bought the exact same stuff. I made an electric motor stir device and did mine for 4 hours and zero of it dissolved

I should add though, the seller is first rate and refunded me the cost.

I have come to the same conclusion, the patch I got from that ebay seller is not real Elvamide. Luckily I managed to get 1kg sample of Elvamide from Dupont.

DUH!!!???? :smash:

Elvamide is filed under "thread bonding" on the official web site... Go to craftman's store and buy some. Below is posted picture for one of the brands. Look at the bottom right corner. What do you read? Right! "100% Polyamide". 3 micron layer on 1 sq meter contains 3 milliliters of nylon OR about 3 grams. This won't make you broke...
DO not wanna buy? Try to nag from the address on Dupont Canada web site
And Read This Fine Manual about the solvents: http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/assets/downloads/processing/302061a.pdf

I emailed Dupont, we went back and forth a few times. They said they'd try to send some, never did. I've read through the Dupont site and it's material specs but I don't hang out in the fabric and sewing isle much, so I've never seen this thread bonding material pic you've attached but I'll have a look sometime.

back to basics

Getting back to basics.
In applying the coating. If using spray on licron, you only want the center part of the membrane coated with licron, with a small tab for connection to the bias supply wire.

And need to avoid getting the licron near the (or on the spacers). What do you use to mask off the area of the membrane that you don't want treated?
Thanks,
Paul

You can use any good (very)low tack painters masking tape.

I have used (in the past) some pieces of common printer (copy) paper with the edge of one side coated with 3M's sticky spray.

The stuff is so Shi%^$ anymore that it will only stick once anyhow.......How's that for low tack!!!

I would coat the whole area of the diaphragm not just part of it!

The spacers are insulating and once it is cured it won't bond to the ones touching the diaphragm.

Since you are coating the diaphragm it is Okay as it is just laying on top of the spacers.
And the ones contacting the finished side are out of the picture at this moment and of course do not spray those just the diaphragm. ;)

The stuff is not cheap, But, Don't be stingy with it either.

Else it may not be effective as there is a limit as to high of a resistance of the coating you can create where it won't work well or if at all.

You will be surprised how little you will actually use when you are done !!

FWIW

jer :)

Getting back to basics.
In applying the coating. If using spray on licron, you only want the center part of the membrane coated with licron, with a small tab for connection to the bias supply wire.

And need to avoid getting the licron near the (or on the spacers). What do you use to mask off the area of the membrane that you don't want treated?
Thanks,
Paul

The photo shows my diaphragms masked off and still wet after spraying on one wet coat of Licron Crystal. I used house painter's blue masking tape and only masked a .25" wide area along the perimeter of each panel. The mating stators have a copper foil charge ring which contacts the periphery areas of the Licron coating.

At the time it hadn't occurred to me to mask off the areas where the center support spacers [on the mating stators] would contact the diaphragms. I used .062 thick 3M urethane foam tape spacers. And when I assembled the panels, the foam tape bonded instantly to the Licron coating and hasn't come loose in the four years since. This attests to the strength of the Licron-to-diaphragm bond as well.

If using epoxy-bonded solid spacers (or any other than foam tape), it might be best to mask off the corresponding areas on the diaphragms--- better safe than sorry.

TechSpray+Coating.JPG

Never get tired of looking at these Diyed Killer Flat ESL panels.....just a great job...jazzman ...lov to hear your pr.....
I have never Mask off any mylar......i coat all the panel by hand...........but if your spraying...i would say it a must!
thanks for the pic from your site ..... an your help geting the best out of our Diy panels...........

My understanding is that fiber-like carbon particles are much better in creating electrically conductive structure vs sphere or flake like particles of carbon black. So the same conductivity can be achieved at lesser carbon content. Industrial applicability comes from the transparency of resulting coating.