ESL Capacitance calculation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The formula for the capacitance of an ESL is given by:

C = (8.85E-12 x A) / d

Where C is in Farads, A in square meters and d in meters.

My question is, what should "d" be?

The D/S spacing? but the diaphragm is at constant charge. The audio signal is applied to the stators. Thus should not "d" be the distance between the stators?

The books I have seen use D/S, but that seems wrong to me.

Is there an explanation why D/S should be used?

An ESL is a very complex load, i think that formula is just a good approximation.

Capacitance increases with area and decreases with spacing. But the spacing is always changing during operation.

Edit: There would be stator/stator capacitance also but it would be small and most likely insignificant.

Hi,

basically it dosen´t matter which distance You choose!

The formula gives an idea about the capacitance value under nosignal conditions.

In a symmetrical ESL the distance between stator-stator is twice the distance stator-membrane. The capacitance between stator-stator is one half of that of stator-membrane. This is equal to a series connection of two identical caps....the value is halved. But since the diapgragm is usually coated with a high ohmic value material, it is difficult to measure the stator-diaphragm capacitance. The low-impedance stators You can easily measure. This value is more interesting because it is the one that the amplifier sees (through the transformer).

jauu
Calvin

> The low-impedance stators You can easily measure.
> This value is more interesting because it is the one
> that the amplifier sees (through the transformer).

Exactly, that is why I was surprised to see the D/S capacitance used in the books. (Sanders, Wagner, Fikier)

Have you ever compared the measured and calculated capacitances of your speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.