Adhesive for ESL panel repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A moisture-cured polyurethane glue ('Gorilla Glue' is one in the UK) works a treat. I've used it on two pairs of 63s. Clamp the stator to the frame while it sets.

Among woodworkers, considerable reaction to Gorilla Glue now due to mess on expansion and not having all the weather-resistant qualities expected, etc.

I am quite fond of polyurethane glues, when applicable. But you can now find low-expansion types at hardware stores.

Ben

That's interesting. In fact I find the expansion beneficial with stator repairs where I remove the whole stator and remove all the old adhesive from the surfaces before re-attaching. The gorilla glue is applied to the frame very thinly, the stator then placed on top. On top of that goes a flat piece of wood (thinly waxed to prevent adhesion to any glue which expands through stator holes) with cut-outs for the three stator fixing holes. The whole thing is clamped together and left such that any excess glue tends to runs away from the stator. The glue's expansion fills the stator holes directly above the glue/frame helping to achieve a really good bond, and the flat piece of waxed wood prevents the glue expanding any further.

When repairing just a small section of a stator where the diaphragm has not been removed a non-expanding glue might be preferable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.