ESL stator fixing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have finally got around to rebuilding some Quad ESL63 panels and I was looking for a suitable adhesive to re-attach the stators to there frames. The original adhesive looks like some kind of contact adhesive like Evostic but this is difficult to work with I have ordered some Slip-Fit very slow cyano adhesive which is designed to allow parts to be positioned during assembly and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if it would be suitable for attaching the diaphragm to the frame. I shall post some photos of my progress

Stuartr

Working with CA's.....

inside even with a fume cupboard is never fun. Some of these can be very nasty to your health so a good fan and an open window are nice to have. Years ago I did have some ca's that were capable of making mylar get brittle but I cannot recall which ones. Would pay you to check that out to be safe. Also if the ca is a hard one and it wicks out onto the mylar diaphragm when you are mounting the mylar you can get sharp little flanges along the edge of the frame and the mylar can eventually rip or tear itself at these sharp points. Not my first choice for a bunch of reasons but it can do the job well if used with care and attention.

The original adhesive seems to be either some sort of high melt temperature wax or a hot-melt glue. When I rebuilt my speakers I cleaned off the old stuff and applied the same contact cement I used to attach the diaphragms: scotchgrip 4693H. It hangs on tight!

I had previously made some repairs using cyanoacrylate but the joints bust pretty easily as the stuff has no "give". When I went to take them apart and completely rebuild each panel, my cyanoacrylate glue joints popped right apart with just a little pull.

I_F

I saw you recommended scotchgrip 4693H in previous threads but I have been unable to obtain any here in the UK, did you strip and re-assemble your panels when you used the CA adhesive. I have looked at some later panels, the white ones, today and they use a different adhesive which is not really visible and looks better applied but some separation has still occurred

Stuart

No, the CA repairs were done while the panels were assembled so I couldn't clean things off first. That could be why the stuff popped off easily. The scotchgrip stuff really works. The 4693H can be ordered from McMaster-Carr, a big industrial supplier- they probably ship overseas. Otherwise check industrial suppliers that deal in 3M products. When you're working on ESLs you have to be resourceful!

I_F

Hmm, I completed an order on the McMaster-Carr website and later got this e-mail:

"Thank you for sending us this order. Due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours overseas.
We cannot accept your order, and regret any inconvenience this causes you.
"

:(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.