Base driver to suit ESS Heil driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interested what fellow DIYers suggest will be a good base driver match for the smaller Heil driver.

I bought a pair of these speakers new in my youth, but even back then thought the base lagged behind the oh so liquid character of the Heil driver. The base drivers and cabinets are long gone but kept these beautiful sounding tweeters.

I wanted to match them up in a smallish enclosure with 8-10 inch base driver that can actually keep up with them.
Not too fussed about going down real low (40-60hz and above is ok) and sensitivity of 90db and above.

Any suggetions of a "killer" base driver and where to source it from?

I am guessing but if you have the small Heil tweeters maybe the ideal crossover point is around 2500hz or 2000hz. What do your Heil speaker specs say? With the bigger Heils ESS often crossed them over too low around 800hz, whereas 1500hz was better.

Perhaps stick to 8" driver as you are likely to be able to crossover higher. Maybe even 6-7" driver better. Many 8" would only be good up to 1500hz max. Check the driver specs on Peerless, Vifa P17, if you want to spend more try Scanspeak 18w/8535, 18/w/8545, Seas 22w Ex002(?) might be best choice although not much good above 1500hz etc.

Thank you AI.M
thats good to get me started.

I dont have any specs on them unfortunately. They are the smallish brick shape drivers with a single front diaphragm, and a silver front cover. The original boxes had about 12inch woofers with rear passive radiators in "booshelf" cabinets. Though I have never come across a bookshelf big enough to fit them :)

which would be your preference of all the ones you suggest based on sound quality and ability to integrate best with the heil?

thank you once more for your help.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
With the ToneTubby I have my doubts how I would handle it with its high Qts and low Vas, and at some time there was a rave about it, but we have heard nothing fore a long time

With the Hemp I thought about the 8" FR8C, maybe in a MLTL

http://www.hempacoustics.com/products.php

Dave(planet10) has shown a nice twofolded quaterwave, where you could place your ribbon on top, but dont remember where I have seen it

Maybe AudioNirvana 10" or 12" could do it too, but I think the FR8C will be the better one, and a quaterwave will be the way to go

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.