acoustst 2+1 biamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I got a pair of acoustat 2+1, after taking off the HPF xover and separating between the trafos inputs, the hi freq and low freq, I am wondering if I can drive the 2 audio trafos as bi amp with 2 pwr amp and an active xover. Is not clear to me if the so called low freq trafo works as a filter as well or will
deliver a full band freq response.
Best regards Williams

hi Frank,
thanks for your replay once again.
i do encounter problems reading and trying to save this document.
if you have it in a normal form i will like very much to have it.
i did succeed to read a small part of it and it looks that bi amp
is not the subject, may be is no need for it, i think so.
so if you can help me to receive the full document, thanks in advance.
best regards
Williams

Hi,

Having perused said patent article the answer to the question
above is yes and no. Yes you can drive each transformer with a
separate amplifier and no you should not use an active crossover.

Assuming the speaker follows the principles of the article.

:)/sreten.

Hi,
it is strange not be able to use an active xover; if the hpfilter is disconnected from the hi freq. trafo, after all is only a hpfilter it will be compensated by the active xover filter at the pwr amp input and it will function a some. but may be you are right, i can't read the patent article so this is only what i think.
The question is there is any benefit result by bi amp?
best regards
Williams

Hello Williams.

At the top right of the page you will see a list of "Also published as:" patents list.
Choose the link to US4323736 (A1) and from there you will have access to the "Description" tab, that covers the background to the patent in depth : really interesting stuff !

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdes?DB=...65d04ab6620d993510bc89048efbf66&QPN=US4323736

Don't forget that this is not a usual B-amping scenario : the transformers secondaries and filters are connected in parallel to a single driver, and I guess Strickland figured out the relations between all elements.

However, it seems you still can benefit from bi-amping from the amplifiers point of view, as the high pass amp will be free from the task of driving the low frequency input : a huge advantage which is not possible with a single step-up transformer.

Good luck !

J.B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.