Water vapour speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We all know the water bending experiment with a charged comb. Does steam behave this way? How about charging some steam and passing it over some kind of conductor with the opposite charge modulated with a signal?
I could write more but I think the mechanics of such a thing are fairly obvious

Anyone ever tried this?

Steam powered speakers

Bigwill,
What sort of steam did you have in mind Dry or Wet ?
Wouldn't wet steam be rather a problem especially in a humid climate ? And dry steam is just downright lethal, we use 350 deg dry steam @ 700psi.
Perhaps modulating a high pressure feed would be the answer, we could use the steam to move a small piston connected to a loudspeaker diaphragm :clown:

What I had in mind was small jets of steam fired at some kind of mesh with a high voltage signal applied to it (as well as a high voltage bias)

The steam would be attracted (or repelled depending how you charged the water) in sympathy with the audio signal, hopefully creating pressure waves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.