magnepan tweeter transplant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A- Magnepans are not noted for broad off axis response. I say this as an owner.

B- The individual elements on Magnepans are not really removable from the panel. I think you would just get a sheet of mylar with glued on aluminum wires. I'm not sure what would become of the magnets. If you managed not to damage them you would still have the problem of re-mountining them.

My MG2.5R speakers have wonderful horizontal dispersion but are truly dreadful in the vertical direction. This isn't surprising as they have a long, thin ribbon which will give a very lobed response vertically. The ribbon is damaged in one of the speakers and I have been considering what I could do to replace the ribbons with a conventional tweeters. Ribbons may be wonderful for transient response but I can't really live with speakers that sound totally different when you're standing up compared with sitting down!

Assuming that you're talking about the Bohlender-Graebner RD-75 drivers, I removed the ribbons from my old Magneplanar Tympani IVs and used them with the RD-75s. First order crossover at 5kHz. Works very nicely, indeed.
The ribbons are easy to remove, but you'll have to get the right model.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.