Linux Audio the way to go!? - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2008, 08:15 AM   #501
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Good points, Soundcheck,

I'll start a wiki about my Panasonic amp mods soon - I guess then I'll know what you are saying re the structure of the wiki & it's awkwardness!

I have 2 issues I can't seem to fix
- getting my internal wifi card (Intel PRO 220BG) connecting to the internet?
- compiling Amarok - seesm to stop with a message about KDE

I guess if I solve the internet connection first then reporting my errors on Amarok compile would be easier - at the moment I have to reboot to windows to get on-line
Old 1st May 2008, 08:53 AM   #502
diyAudio Member

Compiling Amarok?

Just run from a terminal:
$sudo apt-get install amarok

Wifi: You need to Google it up.

Some hints though:

Perhaps you have to put the ipw2200 ( if this is the driver for your card) module into /etc/modules

Check if it is loaded.

$ lsmod | grep ipw2200

if not - above command wouldn't list anything - do following

To make a module being loaded at boot-time do:

Backup of /etc/modules first:
$ sudo cp /etc/modules /etc/modules.orig
$ sudo gedit /etc/modules
---Enter:

ipw2200

--- at the bottom, save and exit.

Check if you find your driver in the last line of the file:
$ less /etc/modules

Reboot.

$ sudo shutdown -r 0

You can also load a module on the fly:
$ sudo modprobe ipw2200
$ sudo depmod -a
$ lsmod | grep ipw2200

Now you should see the loaded modules.

Comment: The kernel is compiled with 100s of modules, which
you might need to manually load. Just a few are loaded on a
permanent basis, which makes the kernel smaller.
Old 1st May 2008, 08:59 AM   #503
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

We need to have a closer look at PulseAudio GlitchFree for good
audio performance (under normal OS conditions!?!?) I'd guess:

Interesting read:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html

kind of overview diagram:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:P...io-diagram.png

If you read this you might realize that the things I described over here pretty much address the mentioned obstacles over there.

Cheers
Old 1st May 2008, 09:58 AM   #504
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Default burning ISO images under Windoze

Quote:
Originally posted by jkeny
Ah, yes but this Windoze!!!!!!!!!
you could use cdrdao also on windoze; an easy way to do so is to install Exact Audio Copy, which will offer the option to also install cdrdao and provides a simple GUI to it.
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:46 AM   #505
Banned

Thanks Soundcheck,
Sorry for the noob Unix questions, guys, but.....

IPW2200 was running already & I changed Wifi router from WAP securiy to no security temporarily but still no access - it senses the router showing about 65% signal (Netgear DG834N) but can't seem to connect?

I tried your Amarok install command but got a error - AFAIR it said unresolved Ubuntu - I probably have to run the install with the full path to the Amarok executable? but I haven't found it yet. Am I wrong? or did I download sources? - I'm not at my computer so can't give the download link - no I tell a lie, just searched & this is the link Edit: removed link as it was to Ubuntu, not Amarok

Can somebody point me to Amarok link for Hardy Heron Ubuntustudio?
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:12 PM   #506
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

jkeny,

your computer must be connected to internet if you want to install new software not present on the installation DVD. The error message was most probably something like "Cannot resolve xxx.ubuntu.com" which means the computer has no working internet connection.
Old 2nd May 2008, 01:52 PM   #507
Banned

OK, so I have to get this Intel Pro wireless 2200BG card communicating with the Netgear DG384N WiFi router - any ideas what to try/ where to go next?

Also, one other question - I'm trying to remember the link for the version of Ubuntu that was recommended to try for Windows users - it didn't do a full install but created a folder on the windows disk & gave a dual boot option? It was about a 680 Mb download (I've deleted it & cleared my recycle bin & my download history does not show it)

The reason I ask is because this is the Ubuntu I installed & was very impressed by the sound from the Sigma-tel built-in audio on the Dell Inspiron 6000. I'm not so sure the sound from the stock Ubuntustudio is as good but I just wanted to compare them!

It would also be a good intro to people scarred off the whole installation process!
Old 2nd May 2008, 03:34 PM   #508
diyAudio Member

Try the Ubuntu forum? There is brilliant community support.

there is loads on the IPW2200 linux driver if you google. Seems quite a lot of people have had problems with it, but it is meant to be supported without too much configuration. Here is one example:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/1414/

You could try plugging your laptop straight into the router or modem through an ethernet cable, this will get you online and allow you to install amarok. Realise you will probably want to sort your wireless for long term use, but the ubuntu forum is likely to have a number of threads with the problem already resolved.

Is the ubuntu you are talking of not just the live CD which allows you to load into ram so you can try without installing? The normal ubuntu CD allows this - just select boot from CD ROM from your BIOS.
Old 2nd May 2008, 05:00 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

Some tips regarding the ipw2200 module:

Make sure the firmware is installed. Intel wifi firmware is not opensource, so it's usually not included in mainstream Linux distributions. Get it here -
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php
If you have a recent kernel, you will want the latest v3.0 firmware. Just to be sure, you can run "modinfo ipw2200" to check the module version.

EDIT: with most distros the firmware should be put in /lib/firmware

For WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption some additional encryption-related modules need to be loaded, which should normally happen automatically ... but sometimes the michael_mic module needs to be loaded manually.
Old 2nd May 2008, 06:46 PM   #510
Banned

OK, it looks like there are reports of wifi problems with Hardy Heron so I guess I should go back a revision to Gutsy Gibbon?

If it doesn't work I'm not bothered - life is too short for loading drivers, firmware, modules, etc.

I don't think it was a live CD version as I didn't have to burn a CD - just download & install!

Hide this!Advertise here!