Linux Audio the way to go!? - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2008, 08:57 PM   #431
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Well, it's certainly all about having fun

If adaptive USB is suboptimal for 44.1kHz and requires CPU intensive resampling, another standard way (in DIY too) is using a PCI card with SPDIF output and DDDAC with SPDIF input. SPDIF is technically inferior too, but PCI asynchronous communication would shield it from the possible software-induced jitter. Costs would be comparable.

Anyway, thanks for the great job.
Old 29th March 2008, 12:00 PM   #432
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

Have a look at Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Beta.

It will be the best off-the-shelve Linux setup for Audio purposes you've seen so far.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustud...ses/8.04/beta/

I strongly recommend to try this one. Have fun!

In April they'll launch the official release. I guess, once you got the beta installed, it just needs a software update to get the official release going. It won't be waste of time to install the Beta now.

BTW:

I finished my DAC tweaks for now. Even though I am using a ec-designs reclocker, Teddyregs, Opticis Optical USB cable and so forth, the quality of the incoming datastream received from the PC is still making a substantial difference.

As we all know Jitter is a cumulative beast.
Conclusion - supporting my very early assumptions - it's best to avoid jitter at any stage of the chain.

Cheers
Old 2nd April 2008, 05:07 AM   #433
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soundcheck
Hi folks.

Have a look at Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Beta.

It will be the best off-the-shelve Linux setup for Audio purposes you've seen so far.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustud...ses/8.04/beta/

I strongly recommend to try this one. Have fun!
x2
The amd64 version is now up and running on my audio PC -- very impressive, and definitely the most painless Linux install I've ever experienced, far easier than XP in fact. Even my wireless is working
Old 3rd April 2008, 02:04 PM   #434
mafro is offline mafro  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hey all, im new to the whole Linux audio thing and have spent a fair amount of time messing around with different headless audio players to run on my server. MPD and pitchfork seems like a pretty safe bet for now.

However, im more interested in achieving audiophile quality in the long term - which is why I just spent about 3 hours reading through this thread! Very interesting stuff all round guys, and very informative too..

USB Audio sounds like a safe way to go, and the observations from soundcheck about the digital amp thing are interesting, but for the time being I just need to get an outboard DAC to link upto my soundcard.

Ive got an old Audiophile 2496 from a few years ago when I was making music on my windows box, and it works fine under ALSA. The problem of syncing the S/PDIF can be handled with this card by getting it to sync to an incoming clock on the S/PDIF in. Does anyone know if the ALSA driver supports this?

If it does, can anyone recommend a couple of decent low to mid-range DACs which would produce a clock signal my card could sync to? Feel free to shoot me down if this is not the way to go.. Ive been sending S/PDIF to my old Sony minidisc deck and using that as an outboard DAC for many years, but im sure I can do better for quality

Also does anyone have any other experience with this soundcard? Im not against the idea of binning it and going another route.

Thanks for any help! Hopefully I can contribute something in the future..
mafro
Old 3rd April 2008, 04:17 PM   #435
anbello is offline anbello  Italy
diyAudio Member

@mafro:
If the Audiophile 2496 is based on Envy24* (i think it's true) you can set the board to sync to the incoming s/pdif signal with alsamixer. I have a Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space (based on Envy24HT) and i can do this.
Then you need a DAC with a masterclock and use this to send an s/pdif signal (with all zero data) to the Audiophile 2496. I'am doing this DIY starting from this post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...869#post992869

Ciao
Andrea
Old 4th April 2008, 02:08 PM   #436
mafro is offline mafro  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks anbello, ill keep my eye on that post as well. Ill also post any results I find out about this soundcard.

Whilst reading through that thread you posted, I came across a link to a Lithuanian company who make a nice looking DAC with a masterclock. They advocate a CD transport as the source, and I found this page on their site, which may be of interest to people here:

http://www.lessloss.com/computer_audio_usb.html

mafro
Old 4th April 2008, 03:42 PM   #437
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mafro

If it does, can anyone recommend a couple of decent low to mid-range DACs which would produce a clock signal my card could sync to? Feel free to shoot me down if this is not the way to go.. Ive been sending S/PDIF to my old Sony minidisc deck and using that as an outboard DAC for many years, but im sure I can do better for quality
Hi Mafro,
What kind of budget are you aiming for?
Old 4th April 2008, 03:55 PM   #438
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I am just showing an alternative that with an hour of configuration and a 150$ DAC the majority might end up at 1000$ Benchmark DAC 1 sound level.
Hi Klaus,

...an hour! I admit this Linux journey has taken me significantly longer than that...

But the way, was thinking that with the Ubuntu Studio 8.04 (Hardy Heron) release later this month, it would be a good time to do a major revamp and update of the wiki (or otherwise do a separate one) and base it around that distribution. The obejective would be to get something layed out for a total noob to be able to have a setup + key tweaks (Zen kernel etc) running as painlessly as possible. Seems to be a good time to do it, as 8.04 will be a LTS (long term support) release. On top of that, I'm really very impressed with it and reckon it must be one of the most user friendly distros out there.

I can try to get started on it later in the month?

regards, Stefan
Old 4th April 2008, 05:40 PM   #439
diyAudio Member

The Wiki update is under production (offline). I got 60% finished.
I'd really like to open a Wiki somewhere else. I am not really happy with the structure over here.

NOTE: I am experiencing currently serious problems with the latest
automatic software update/upgrade ( introduced on the 2nd of April) of Ubuntu Studio 8.04. Beta.
X won't start anymore afterwards.
I installed the stuff the 2nd time now getting the same result.
I couldn't find any hints on the net yet.
So - folks be careful here not to waste time for now.

Cheers
Old 4th April 2008, 05:54 PM   #440
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Wiki update is under production (offline). I got 60% finished.
I'd really like to open a Wiki somewhere else. I am not really happy with the structure over here.
True, the wiki structure here is far from ideal, though would be good to keep it here if at all possible. What alternative are you thinking about? Over on the Ubuntu site perhaps?
If you need a hand let me know... I can at least help on the editing (that's my day job)...

Quote:
NOTE: I am experiencing currently serious problems with the latest
automatic software update/upgrade ( introduced on the 2nd of April) of Ubuntu Studio 8.04. Beta.
X won't start anymore afterwards.
I installed the stuff the 2nd time now getting the same result.
I couldn't find any hints on the net yet.
So - folks be careful here not to waste time for now.
I got through that update unscathed....
I think the problem was due to the RT restricted driver package not being ready along with the new kernel, leaving your video card without a driver.
Maybe if you do an update from the command line it should repair itself. Otherwise check at the ubuntuforums -- I've seen a few other people reporting the same problem.
Still, best to steer clear of 8.04 until release. I'm not complaining though - I've had more luck with the 8.04 beta that with 7.10 and 7.04.

Hide this!Advertise here!