Linux Audio the way to go!? - Page 210 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2013, 09:31 PM   #2091
diyAudio Member

RayCtech,

In what way will wifi reduce audio quality?

Is ethernet protocoll than galvanic isolated?
Old 11th March 2013, 10:29 PM   #2092
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Send a message via Skype™ to KMossman
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Linux will never become commonly accepted until it gets over its geeky way of doing things. Unfortunately, I think the coders want to keep it that way, a sort of intellectual snobbery if you like.
It is off-topic but I disagree. DOS 2 and up was a blatant rip-off of UNIX. MacOS is 'geeky'
Old 11th March 2013, 10:34 PM   #2093
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post

However, from the beginning I had a realtime system in mind.
Because standard latencies on Linux are not much better than
MS, if better at all.

KLS
I am not really sure what you mean by 'latencies' - - perhaps I have a different definition [20 years in IT, a lot in data communications].

You can 'up' the priority on tasks to give more CPU time................
Old 11th March 2013, 10:48 PM   #2094
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Once set it is extremely stable in my admittedly limited experience.
It is ultra-stable - compared to MS Windows.

For over a year, one guy ran it - NEVER had to reset his PC.

The rest of us used Windows - I had to reset my PC at least once a day, and it would hang or crash once / twice / thrice a week. And we ONLY used MS apps.

There was a Gartner study some years back - UNIX was 100 tmes [yes, ONE HUNDRED] times more stable than Windows NT; as measured in down-time.

Our UNIX server crashed once in 2 years, reset itself and chugged away after being down for 5 minutes.
Old 11th March 2013, 11:46 PM   #2095
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMossman View Post
It is ultra-stable - compared to MS Windows.

For over a year, one guy ran it - NEVER had to reset his PC.

The rest of us used Windows - I had to reset my PC at least once a day, and it would hang or crash once / twice / thrice a week. And we ONLY used MS apps.

There was a Gartner study some years back - UNIX was 100 tmes [yes, ONE HUNDRED] times more stable than Windows NT; as measured in down-time.

Our UNIX server crashed once in 2 years, reset itself and chugged away after being down for 5 minutes.
At my old place of work, we had a Solaris 8 Sun Server that ran for almost 5 years without a reboot/shutdown. It only went down then because of a generator failure..
Old 12th March 2013, 11:16 AM   #2096
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
RayCtech,
In what way will wifi reduce audio quality?
You may experience audible change, but most likely not. The only way to find out on your gear is to try

Quote:
Is ethernet protocoll than galvanic isolated?
Of course, both sides are always isolated by transformers.
Old 12th March 2013, 05:56 PM   #2097
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
You may experience audible change, but most likely not. The only way to find out on your gear is to try

Of course, both sides are always isolated by transformers.
Ok, just like spdif interfaces. I have never been into computer hardware stuff up to now, now I have discovered that a computer is finally able to produce good audio sound, I am looking into it.

I think I will try out wifi anyway..........

Thanks!
Old 12th March 2013, 07:31 PM   #2098
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok, just like spdif interfaces.
Actually, a lot of spdif interfaces do not use isolation transformers. E.g. most integrated soundcards, inexpensive PCI/e cards, many cheap USB cards, many SPDIF inputs, etc. In fact I would say it is more common not to include the transformer, in my experience. Unlike ethernet where the transformer is part of the technology.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:40 PM   #2099
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok, just like spdif interfaces. I have never been into computer hardware stuff up to now, now I have discovered that a computer is finally able to produce good audio sound, I am looking into it.

I think I will try out wifi anyway..........

Thanks!
I suspect you will discover that it is a waste of time... With wi-fi, unless you are in an area where there is no one else using the wi-fi spectrum, you have to compete for bandwidth (I can see ~20 networks in my house from my neighbours), vs a dedicated wired connection, where you do have to compete with other systems on your network (or not if you build a separate network for audio) for bandwidth, but not to the extent that you compete for the airwaves..
Old 13th March 2013, 06:11 PM   #2100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlim View Post
I suspect you will discover that it is a waste of time... With wi-fi, unless you are in an area where there is no one else using the wi-fi spectrum, you have to compete for bandwidth (I can see ~20 networks in my house from my neighbours), vs a dedicated wired connection, where you do have to compete with other systems on your network (or not if you build a separate network for audio) for bandwidth, but not to the extent that you compete for the airwaves..
You are probably right, I also expect that wifi would load the processor more than ethernet because wifi is not so efficient and packages will need to be re-send often.

Regading busy traffic in the air; this is not a problem, I am using channels my neighbours do not use (but that can change of course :-))

About competing with other systems in the network: this would not be a problem because the network load for flac files (even 24/192) is pretty limited in comparison to the space on the gigabit network and capacity of the synology 411+II nas.

Kind regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!