Linux Audio the way to go!? - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2007, 07:12 AM   #201
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soundcheck

I am still wondering where to post the Kernel "How-To".
It should be something where I don't have to spent too much effort for the beginning.
I have to be able to edit it afterwards. And people have to be able to get me feedback about it!

Any ideas are welcome.
I've started a wiki.
Have tried to start it off with the basics, as many here may be put off by moving. The simpler it is, the more people will end up with Linux set-ups -- which is good news.
But it's a wiki, so feel free to add, chop and change.

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=LINUX+Audio
Old 13th July 2007, 09:41 AM   #202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssmith

I've started a wiki.
Have tried to start it off with the basics, as many here may be put off by moving. The simpler it is, the more people will end up with Linux set-ups -- which is good news.
But it's a wiki, so feel free to add, chop and change.

ssmith.

Great start!! ;-)

I'll fill in some more information over the weekend. I need to get them structured first.

Do you know if it is possible to store certain files over there?
To keep it simple for newbies it might be a good idea to make pre-compiled binaries or ready made scripts available, which of course bears a security risk!

I also think it would be a good idea to open up a seperate Linux-Audio-Wiki thread to cover imprvment proposaly and other Q&As.

BTW:

I just got feedback of my "first officially pimped" linux-audio-buddy. At this stage he's just running a tuned "XMMS" only.

To summarize it:

Lots of things he never heard before, much better low end, much better transients, asf.

So far so good. I didn't expect anything different, since it has been proven on a 2nd reference system before!

I hope that within the next couple of weeks we'll have some more systems up'n running!

Cheers
Klaus
Old 13th July 2007, 10:25 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Great start!! ;-) I'll fill in some more information over the weekend. I need to get them structured first.
Hi Klaus -- no problem -- being a linux newcomer I have nothing to contribute to the tech side of things, so am happy to at least try to help put something together that'll make it clear for others (and me!).

Quote:
Do you know if it is possible to store certain files over there? To keep it simple for newbies it might be a good idea to make pre-compiled binaries or ready made scripts available, which of course bears a security risk!
I don't think it is possible. What kind of file size are you talking about though? Perhaps I can put them on my webspace. We could link to the files from the wiki, and include a super-simple how-to explanation.

Quote:
I also think it would be a good idea to open up a seperate Linux-Audio-Wiki thread to cover imprvment proposaly and other Q&As.
That would be a great idea once the wiki gets going.

Quote:
I hope that within the next couple of weeks we'll have some more systems up'n running!
I have some time tonight and tomorrow to get ubuntu-studio installed and up and running, so will hopefully be with you shortly and ready to experiment....

cheers, stefan
Old 14th July 2007, 04:23 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Hi there.

I fixed the first draft of the Wiki.

You won't believe it, this exercise took me while!

Perhaps somebody can have a look at it.

There are some small outstanding issues of course.

brutus, my brutefir based player, I'll most probably introduce
next week.

Now we need a volunteer to run the exercise of checking if everything works as
described!

I am off for the rest of the day.

Cheers
\Klaus
Old 14th July 2007, 09:16 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Hi Klaus,
Great work. Will give it a go as soon as I get the chance.

I managed to install ubuntu studio. Last time I gave Linux a try was back in 2000, which was Mandrake 8.0 or something. A few years ago I tried Mepis... But I can see it has come a long long way. It's been a real pleasant surprise -- very very easy, of course following the step-by-step install guide I linked to above.

The biggest surprise, however, is the sound. Frankly I'm speechless. I wasn't really expecting a difference, because all the Windows tweaks I'd done before changed things a little, sometimes a bit better, sometimes a bit worse.
Ubuntu-studio is a very big improvement in sound, and that's just using FLAC through whatever music player I managed to get working first (it happened to be rhythmbox).

cheers!
Old 15th July 2007, 09:39 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

Hi Stefan.

Below tweaks you can start with, even without having a new kernel compiled.

Configure the RAMDISK and XMMS recommendations without compiling the realtime kernel. Strongly recommended!

Very important if you have an Usb-DAC is the ALSA setting in chapter 4.

I any case you should apply the PCI latency tweak if you run a PCI bus.

BTW:
How do I access the Wiki from DIY-Audio Wiki Home? The Wiki area doesn't really look structured at all!

Cheers
Klaus
Old 15th July 2007, 01:43 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soundcheck

How do I access the Wiki from DIY-Audio Wiki Home? The Wiki area doesn't really look structured at all!
Hi Klaus,

it's Audio Sources - Digital & Analogue -> Digital - DAC's, CD, SACD, PC Audio etc. -> PC Audio (Linux Audio)

Will try the tweaks you mention today.

cheers stefan
Old 15th July 2007, 02:28 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

I finished up the the sample rate conversion chapter.
You might also want to try that one.

The batch converter will follow.

Cheers
Old 16th July 2007, 04:56 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Default are you using the GNOME desktop or a light weight WM

I setup Ubuntu Studio and use XMMS in conjunction with the Blackbox WM. Do you think that bypassing the Gnome desktop and Gnome audio mixer, sticking with the alsamixer and using lightweight WM adds to the overall efficiency of the linux based transport?

I have not patched the kernel for realtime according to your wiki, but out of the box it sounds fantastic.
Old 16th July 2007, 06:28 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Default Re: are you using the GNOME desktop or a light weight WM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevevarga
I setup Ubuntu Studio and use XMMS in conjunction with the Blackbox WM. Do you think that bypassing the Gnome desktop and Gnome audio mixer, sticking with the alsamixer and using lightweight WM adds to the overall efficiency of the linux based transport?

I have not patched the kernel for realtime according to your wiki, but out of the box it sounds fantastic.
Hi there.

I am actually not using any windows manager.
I boot up in recovery mode and run my own ASCII based player.

Doesn't matter what windows manager you use, it'll steal quite
some processing power or better "interrupt priority" from your audio application.

However.

Blackbox or XFCE are in any case preferable over Gnome or KDE.
Alsamixer as well as Gnome mixer are using ALSA dmix.

For best sound you have to get dmix out of the loop.

XMMS supplies AFAIK an internal software based volume control.
If you want to use a SW volume control, use this one and access your HW directly ( choose HW0 or HW1 as direct accessible device).
( This is similar to ASIO under Windows) If your volume control
under Gnome doesn't work any longer, you know that dmix is out of the loop.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!