Linux Audio the way to go!? - Page 199 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2011, 06:52 AM   #1981
WDYSUN is offline WDYSUN  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
The DPB Perfect Meta thing I consider useless.
For once in my life I have to agree with soundcheck

I usually tag this way: I put all information in an organized text file, than using a bash script based on "metaflac" I embed those information in the flacs, the script also optimally resizes the cover using "convert" and embed it into the flacs.

In the beginning I used online databases, but then I discovered that in most situations I was wasting too much time to understand which album among those returned was the most consistent with mine, and even in the best situation I had to make adjustments... I am much faster with the script... Also, for most old stuffs there are tons of different versions, but databases are very bad in making a distinction.

The key issue here is lack of STANDARDS. There is none actually.

For instance GENRE tag is quite complicated for most modern music. The Dark Side of The Moon, is it prog rock, prog-rock, psyc rock, psychedelic, progressive rock... One should put his/her own classification if he/she has one... I don't.
Actually the best thing would be to have multiple tags... but how to handle that? Mediaplayers usually have different ways to read tags and most of them do not support all different multiple taggings. Classical music is a pain in the ***, everybody has a different way to organize title and artist tags. Even classical music files originally downloaded on HDtracks are not consistent.

At the end what I try to do is to have a well organized system of folders, a consistent file naming scheme... so that I always find what I need!... just open the terminal and run a find

IMHO this liquid music market will never get somewhere if at some point they don't sit down and write an "open" standard system of cataloging music files.

One thing which would be really helpful would be that the record companies link a standard meta descriptor linked somehow with the bar code or build a qr-code system for that. So that you tag exactly what you have in your CD/SACD/DVDa

By the way, do you know any linux software that is able to scan bar-code from a jpg? I am thinking to build a database based on bar-codes.

Best
Pierre

Last edited by WDYSUN; 25th November 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 25th November 2011, 07:37 AM   #1982
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDYSUN View Post
For once in my life I have to agree with soundcheck
Believe me. It's bugging me that you hardcore Linux folks around here wouldn't ever listen to what I'm saying.

That's why I had to run that damned Squeezebox Toolbox (rt-linux) project.

At least from my and a vast majority of users (several thousands downloads) and Logitech ( who probably now sold numerous more devices) perspective that one proved what I've been saying over here since 2007.

Seriously. The ignorance or maybe arrogance or just the lack of resources in Linux land puts a very high potential OS even further down in the ranking.
From my perspective the whole audio part is not progressing at all in Linux land. "Maintenance Mode" . If you're not progressing you'll go down the drain on the long run.
There's quite some progress on the surface ( Gnome 3 etc. ) but under the hood there seems to be a big black hole. What a pity.

(E.g. Since almost a year the RME HDSP package is broken and nobody takes
care about it!!! On W7 my 2004 HDSP just got a brandnew firmware/driver and a great mixer application. )

Yep. Folks. For the time being I'm back to W7.

Cheers
Old 25th November 2011, 10:32 AM   #1983
WDYSUN is offline WDYSUN  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Believe me. It's bugging me that you hardcore
Linux folks around here wouldn't ever listen to what I'm saying.
Cheers
I was talking about tagging, which is not better on W7 or Mac OSX... a general issue with liquid music

Pierre
Old 25th November 2011, 10:50 AM   #1984
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
did you tried it?
to date, just a very quick test. Results are promising.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:18 AM   #1985
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
In the beginning I used online databases, but then I discovered that in most situations I was wasting too much time to understand which album among those returned was the most consistent with mine, and even in the best situation I had to make adjustments...
of course, also beets is affected by this problem. Sometimes you have to choose the "right" match. But! working on a whole album at a time (rather than track-by-track) reduces the amount of matches to a minimum.

Quote:
The key issue here is lack of STANDARDS. There is none actually.
agreed.

Quote:
For instance GENRE tag is quite complicated for most modern music.
it is for ANY kind of music...

Quote:
Classical music is a pain in the ***, everybody has a different way to organize title and artist tags. Even classical music files originally downloaded on HDtracks are not consistent.
absolutely.

TAGs should be improved and standardized in a way suitable for all kind of music. As they are now it's a mess.

For instance, consider "artist": for classical music should it be set to the performer(s), the director or the composer? and what about albums containing tracks from more than one performer/composer/etc ?

In the online DBs it's a whole mess, everyone seems to have a different idea about that.

Quote:
At the end what I try to do is to have a well organized system of folders, a consistent file naming scheme... so that I always find what I need!... just open the terminal and run a find
yes, this is what I do, too!

(...and my favorite "player" is play from sox! )

Quote:
IMHO this liquid music market will never get somewhere if at some point they don't sit down and write an "open" standard system of cataloging music files.
I hope they will, but I am afraid they don't care.

Quote:
By the way, do you know any linux software that is able to scan bar-code from a jpg? I am thinking to build a database based on bar-codes.
may be this one: ZBar bar code reader ?
Old 26th December 2011, 07:24 PM   #1986
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

No one written a nice GUI frontend for sox play yet?

Brgds
Old 26th December 2011, 08:00 PM   #1987
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
No one written a nice GUI frontend for sox play yet?

Brgds
What features should such GUI offer? Sox is not a player, does not have important features such as fast forward. IMO there are numerous good players for linux.
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:25 PM   #1988
diyAudio Member

Finding a serious file based gui audio player is a real pain in Linux/FreeBSD. (Yes I tried DeadBeeF and Aqualung also). I'm using a launcher app via drag-and-drop (which is a mplayer in a console) most often.
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:03 AM   #1989
RR is offline RR  Europe
diyAudio Member

Try Music Player Daemon, and one of the many clients for it. I liked sonata for linux, QMPDClient for windows, and mpod for ipod touch-iphone. There is also a client for android devices, that I have not tried.

Music Player Daemon Community Wiki
Sonata Music Client for MPD
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:35 AM   #1990
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Believe me. It's bugging me that you hardcore Linux folks around here wouldn't ever listen to what I'm saying.

That's why I had to run that damned Squeezebox Toolbox (rt-linux) project.

At least from my and a vast majority of users (several thousands downloads) and Logitech ( who probably now sold numerous more devices) perspective that one proved what I've been saying over here since 2007.

Seriously. The ignorance or maybe arrogance or just the lack of resources in Linux land puts a very high potential OS even further down in the ranking.
From my perspective the whole audio part is not progressing at all in Linux land. "Maintenance Mode" . If you're not progressing you'll go down the drain on the long run.
There's quite some progress on the surface ( Gnome 3 etc. ) but under the hood there seems to be a big black hole. What a pity.

(E.g. Since almost a year the RME HDSP package is broken and nobody takes
care about it!!! On W7 my 2004 HDSP just got a brandnew firmware/driver and a great mixer application. )

Yep. Folks. For the time being I'm back to W7.

Cheers
Ive just read your website and as a linux professional I have to say that most of your suggestions make no sense to me (as how and why they should have any impact on sound quality). There is probably a reason why "Linux folks around here wouldn't ever listen to what you say".
Dont take it personal, but if you propose a modification I would at least provide a theory why this _might_ do any good.

Hide this!Advertise here!