Linux Audio the way to go!? - Page 193 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2011, 03:24 PM   #1921
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
I hope nobody with the decision-making power will share this idea. Merging alsa/pulseaudio/jack is ok, but gstreamer/xine are at least one level above and do not belong to the low-level libraries.
Shuttleworth for sure doesn't have a focus on audio and multimedia. Otherwise he wouldn't put Banshee or similar useless stuff in the package.
I'm sure he hasn't even understood the problems associated to audio.

Quote:
Well, good luck with that.
Weired attitude.

Let's face it. Nobody who is supplying todays serious audio interfaces is providing
Linux drivers. And if there are drivers they are available five years after product launch and stripped down to some very basic features. And that situation is getting worse.

OSX is a UNIX. It should be possible.
Old 13th April 2011, 03:39 PM   #1922
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
Shuttleworth for sure doesn't have a focus on audio and multimedia. Otherwise he wouldn't put Banshee or similar useless stuff in the package.
I'm sure he hasn't even understood the problems associated to audio.
I am not talking about distributors but about people working on the core technologies. I do not know anyone from ubuntu playing a major role in alsa/alsa-lib. Novell, RedHat, SoC manufacturers.

Quote:
Weired attitude.

Let's face it. Nobody who is supplying todays serious audio interfaces is providing
Linux drivers. And if there are drivers they are available five years later. And that situation is getting worse.

OSX is a UNIX. It should be possible.
Unix has nothing to do with kernel internal structures, but about APIs (POSIX etc.). Linux drivers use linux kernel submodules, just as BSD (i.e. OSX) drivers do. I cannot imagine how you could write a portability layer to emulate these very internal features. Perhaps in user space with very poor performance.

I personally see the situation in audio drivers as improving. Many manufacturers are focusing on usb audio 2.0, supported in linux, the cheapest PCI-e intefaces are often supported, semi-pro mostly supported (asus), professional - some are, some never will (Lynx). Just as you cannot find windows 7 drivers e.g. for Audiotrak Prodigy192 AUDIOTRAK Community forums • View topic - Audiotrak Prodigy 192 + Windows 7 x86 Now let's talk about poor HW support. Or better not, waste of time anyways.
Old 13th April 2011, 04:46 PM   #1923
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

I compiled this pf-kernel which makes use of Con Kolivas patches.

Very nice.

Cheers
Old 14th April 2011, 02:51 PM   #1924
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
I cannot imagine how you could write a portability layer to emulate these very internal features. Perhaps in user space with very poor performance.
well, what perhaps may be done (to a great avail for everyone) would be to create standardized, OS-independent "driver interfaces" (something like "NDIS") at least for the most common type of HW interfaces (e.g. video, audio & network cards, printers, modems, ecc).

That way hardware manufacturers would need to develop, maintain and distribute only one universal driver (or at least one for each supported hardware platform) which could then be used on any OS supporting the standard driver interface.

Unfortunately, even assuming that this may be technically doable (which is not obvious), I'm afraid that it will never be accepted by prominent commercial OS vendors such as Micro$oft. Which leverage hardware support (driver availability) to keep their almost-monopolist market dominance...
Old 14th April 2011, 02:56 PM   #1925
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post
well, what perhaps may be done (to a great avail for everyone) would be to create standardized, OS-independent "driver interfaces" (something like "NDIS") at least for the most common type of HW interfaces (e.g. video, audio & network cards, printers, modems, ecc).
Certainly, it would be a nice way to go. Though I share your doubts about real-world chances.

But it would still require having new drivers written to this new specification, not using the existing OSX drivers.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:17 AM   #1926
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
But it would still require having new drivers written to this new specification, not using the existing OSX drivers.
of course... (though likely that would not be a problem if the most widespread OSs would embrace/enforce the standard). Anyway, these are just useless speculations. We have to live with what we do have, not with what we may like to have. Bottom line is, if you don't like ALSA get your hands on and try to make it better if you can.
Old 21st April 2011, 08:12 AM   #1927
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

I just discovered Clementine (0.7.1). A player base on Amarok 1.4. ported to Gnome.
It's a cross-platform player also ported to other OSes.

It comes with songinfo, lyrics, coverart manager, tag manager asf.
You can handle output devices more flexible with Clementine.
I got it running with pulseaudio now. As Amarok, Clementine keeps running in the background if you close the main-window.
You'll be notified on track changes with on on-screen notifications.

The overall feature set it is not state of the art yet. E.g. I'd like to see the cover manager integrated into the main window, reflecting the library to choose
the albums from.

However, I do think Clementine can compete with other Gnome based players quite well already now.

For now it made my desktop system running NattyNarwhal look complete.
I kind of like it. Integrates well into Gnome/Unity. Also works with the Gnome-Panel sound controls.
It'll stay.

Get the latest builds:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:me-davidsansome/clementine
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install clementine
Cheers

Last edited by soundcheck; 21st April 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:21 AM   #1928
WDYSUN is offline WDYSUN  Italy
diyAudio Member

I still think that for hifi use the best one is Deadbeef... simple and effective!

Best
Pietro

Quote:
Hi folks.
I just discovered Clementine (0.7.1). A player base on Amarok 1.4. ported to Gnome.
It's a cross-platform player also ported to other OSes.
Cheers
Old 21st April 2011, 02:30 PM   #1929
adelias is offline adelias  Greece
diyAudio Member

Last I checked, both Clementine and DeadBeef were 16bit. Has that changed?
Old 21st April 2011, 03:57 PM   #1930
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satgeek View Post
Last I checked, both Clementine and DeadBeef were 16bit. Has that changed?
Hmmh. Didn't know that!

How do I check that out?

Hide this!Advertise here!