Linux Audio the way to go!? - Page 191 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2011, 10:37 AM   #1901
diyAudio Member

cdparanoia works now.

rip rips one track caches it as tmp-file and then it dies after step 4/6.

I'm not sure if I still miss something!?!? I left a comment on the
blog of Thomas A..
Old 9th April 2011, 02:55 AM   #1902
Account disabled at member's request

Hi,

At the beginning of this thread ppl were saying Linux is too hard and I was with them on that, based on my previous experience.

My how things have changed in a few years !

I just downloaded the latest Ubuntu 10.10 and it installed very quickly and immediately recognised all my devices and didn't require any help or drivers or serial key etc. So easy. I was browsing the web and playing WAVs through the Onkyo soundcard in less than five minutes. It's actually far easier than Windows to install and took a staggeringly shorter time too.

I have just one issue - how to connect into my Buffalo NAS. This only comes with software for Windows and Mac. Can anyone direct to a site that has this info ?

Anyway, I'm extremely pleased with Ubuntu. Now I have to re-read this thread to find out how to tweak it !

Are there any "Linux for Dummies" resources out there ?

Thanks,

Tom ( a new Linux believer ! )
Old 10th April 2011, 06:51 AM   #1903
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post

Are there any "Linux for Dummies" resources out there ?
There are numerous Wikis written and maintained by the Ubuntu crowd.

As usual -- Google is gonna be your best friend -- also in Ubuntuland.
Old 10th April 2011, 07:23 AM   #1904

Hi,

Actually, there are a lot resources so it's an embarrassment of riches and hard to know where to start. But I found a 'pocketguide' that seems to cover enough to get started. It's a bit like the manuals that came with MS DOS all those years ago.

Main page - Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference

I couldn't find any help about getting the Buffalo NAS to work. Lots of people asking and either no response or responses that didn't resolve any issues and brought up more (irrelevant) reading. Google wasn't playing friendly.

So instead I connected to the NAS login 192.168.0.102 in Firefox and played around with the ftp share settings. Then I got lucky ! In Ubuntu's dropdown menu there is a "connect to server" and I tried putting in the address for the Buffalo in an ftp connection and it worked.

So it's up and running, sweet as a nut. Boots very fast, shutdowns like a light bulb. Sound seems to be only very marginally better than Windows but I expect I need to tweak to get it at its best ?

Just one problem now. My remote keyboard has a key on the bottom left with the Windows flag. Where can I get an Ubuntu sticker ? ;-)

Tom

Last edited by KlipschKid; 10th April 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10th April 2011, 08:30 AM   #1905
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

Just to let you know. I won't give up on Linux.

I installed my Ubuntu Natty (11.04) Beta the third time now. I've been trying this and that.

The third time I wanted to do things right. 100% focus on audio first.

After installing my basic stuff, I wanted to challenge myself to get my
RME HDSP9632 working with pulseaudio kept in place. Usually I remove pulseaudio.
But that usually ends up with a broken Gnome audio system.
I was aware of the broken hdspmixer that's part of the "officially released" alsa-tools 1.0.24.1. I knew I had to use amixer (PITA) instead.

I thought don't make it too difficult, don't set the target too high.
Just 44.1/16 stereo on analog out would be a major achievement for the beginning. In the past I never managed to get things working under pulseaudio.

Now.

Let me summarize what I've been doing:

1. Searching and finding the tools required to load HDSP firmware,Tools,Tool-GUis, was required. Otherwise nothing will work.
The HDSP mixer tool won't work currently anyhow. That's why amixer must be used.
2. I had to figure out the channel routing ( connect the right input with the right output) on that card to be able to set gain and channel routing with amixer. I wrote a script to figure out channel routing with amixer some time ago ( can be found at RME forum).
3. I wrote and added another setup script to the autostart dialog, to do the card setup at boot. (Only this way I can work without hdspmixer. This of course limits me to a kind if static setting for that card)
4. I had to do other basic settings with hdspconf/amixer (e.g. samplerate)
5. I had to add hdsploader (firmware) to rc.local. Without firmware nothing will work.
6. Make sure that users and groups are correctly connected to group audio.
7. Setting up realtime and nice rights in limits.conf for group audio
pulseaudio requires heavy priority to work without XRUNS . ( similar to jack)
8. Find out about and install certain pulseaudio tools
9. Figuring out the need to implement certain pulseaudio workarounds (e.g. famous tsched=0 tweak)
10. Change pulseaudio setup within configuration files (which was one of the major challenges)
11. Introduce an .asoundrc to define my 9632 as default soundcard.

All that took me while. Guess what? I managed.

ToDos:
1. I experienced XRUNS when streaming music over NFS share. pulseaudio seems to put high demands on the environment.
2. Checkout Skype
3. Get more insight into pulseaudio

I might write all that - more detailed - down on my blog sooner or later.

Summary:

Folks, I really enjoy the new look and feel of Ubuntu Natty. It's getting better
and better. Though I'd love to see Amarok and Digikam ported to a Gnome environment.

Everything seems to evolve in Ubuntu Linux - one thing though gets more and more complex and frustrating ""Linux Audio"".

Above exercise can't be done by 99% of the average Ubuntu/Linux user.

I'm sure something has to be done about Linux Audio. The question still is who feels responsible to do that. The question really is. Is anybody aware of that mess?
It probably should be Debian/Ubuntu/Redhat or similar project level, that brings all parts together and has the power to drive such a project into a
certain direction..

Let see how things are going to evolve.

Enjoy.

Cheers
Old 10th April 2011, 10:49 AM   #1906
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Four 'Powered by Ubuntu' stickers
and Four 'Ubuntu Key' stickers9

Click the image to open in full size.

And they are free, just a self addressed stamped envelope

rgds
jms
Old 10th April 2011, 12:20 PM   #1907
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

About pulseaudio, sure in the early stages I had problems too like crackling and such but since pulseaudio matured all my problems went away so now it just works, and is mighty convenient =)

I'm not using any of the hacks like using the legacy scheduling, only customization from default ubuntu config is that I've chosen a costlier resampling algorithm (src-sinc-medium-quality), and chosen sample-format, default fragments and default-fragment-size-msec to correspond with my sound card.

But even without the calculated fragments and fragment size it works without glitches nowadays.

Might as well throw in the link of where I found how to calculate them: Linux Mint Forums • View topic - PulseAudio - Tune your setting and prevent glitching

In short:

default-fragments = buffer_size / fragment-size
default-fragment-size-msec = fragment_size / sample-rate * sample-format (bits) * sample-channels

Which in my case for my Xonar-card is:

I: sink.c: device.buffering.buffer_size = "352768"
I: sink.c: device.buffering.fragment_size = "176384"

=>

default-fragments = 2 # buffer_size / fragment_size
default-fragment-size-msec = 63 # since the card wants s32_le
Old 11th April 2011, 01:40 AM   #1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvi View Post
Four 'Powered by Ubuntu' stickers
and Four 'Ubuntu Key' stickers9

Click the image to open in full size.

And they are free, just a self addressed stamped envelope

rgds
jms
Well, I was joking but.... nice stickers ! Thanks for the link ! I'll be proud to add them to the keyboard and case !
Old 12th April 2011, 03:39 PM   #1909
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
I have just one issue - how to connect into my Buffalo NAS. This only comes with software for Windows and Mac.
don't know that particular NAS, but usually you don't really need any special software to connect to them. Usually there are Web, Telnet and/or SSH interfaces to manage them. Check your NAS user manual.

(Oh, to access the files on the NAS, from Linux it would be better to use NFS rather than SMB - if the NAS has support for it).
Old 12th April 2011, 05:47 PM   #1910
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
I installed my Ubuntu Natty (11.04) Beta the third time now.
trying a Beta is definitely not the best thing to do if you're looking for a smooth experience. For that I would not even try a freshly released version, but one which have been released since at least 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
working with pulseaudio kept in place.
why do you want to do that?

The RME is by no means a normal "desktop" sound card.

Pulseaudio have never been intended to be used for "hi-end" or "pro" audio (and related hardware). Its sole purpose it to make life easier for the average desktop user: play sound through the typical sound card, plug in an USB headset and be able to use it, etc.

Perhaps you should rather try Ubuntu Studio instead. That should handle it gracefully, and it would actually be a bug if it doesn't.

Hide this!Advertise here!